Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:39 PM   #1

I have a problem with my DiMAGE A1 in addition to the CCD recall issue. This appears to be more than just the CCD problem.

There's details about it in my blog entry, "Camera Troubles" at gardenwife.com, including an update at the bottom of the entry:
http://www.gardenwife.com/mt/archive...troubles_2.php

I really like the A1's easy-to-access advanced settings, predictive focus, flexible focus point, etc. I rely on them and the LCD monitor heavily.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem? Here's a sample of the off-kilter lens issue I mention in the entry:

Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2006, 4:31 PM   #2

Another update. Aaargh, wish I'd seen this before:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14647530
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14965

I wonder if it's worth fixing, especially now that the company no longer manufactures the model and I've heard parts are scarce.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:40 PM   #3

If there was no lens shade on, the problem is most likely with the anti-shake system. First, try restetting defaults, usning menu, then shut down camera and remove battery for 24 hours. When you start back up if problem still occurs, try turning off the anti-shake. If problem persists without the anti-shake, there is probably something loose internally, and you will have to have the camera returned for service.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:12 PM   #4

Gorgeous Meezer in your avatar.

Interesting -- thank you! Tonight I powed the camera down and thunked it on the table. :shock: That fixed the blinking AS, as usual. Now the shadow is across the upper right corner, but in more of an angled straight line up in the corner, just barely visible.

I'm going to try what you suggested, too, however.

I feel like I did years ago when I had to do all these crazy things to get my car to start when it was flooded.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:51 PM   #5

Hi Gardenwife,

I had a similar problem on my A2 after I accidentally dropped it: the anti-shake would shake for a few seconds at power-up and then settle in a corner showing the lens hood in the frame.
The morning after I spent a night in a mountain cabin around freezowever, as the temperature rose the problem started again.
The only solution was to send it in for repair (190 pounds, which is still less than an equivalent new camera would cost (and there aren't equivalent new cameras, really)).

Sorry about the bad news...
zpptydooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:04 PM   #6

Zpptydooh - sorry you had to spring for a repair.

I inadvertantly dropped my A1 about 3" onto our floor a few days ago (and I never drop this camera!). Wouldn't you know, it has not done the anti-shake-blinky-light-vibration-dance since?

The slight shadow in the upper right of the frame persists, but everything else seems to be running okay. :roll:

I do have a claim turned in regarding the CCD recall, guess I ought to send the camera in, but I sure hate to be without it. Others have sent the camera in and then used the accompanying 6-month warranty to send the camera back in for the anti-shake repair.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:44 PM   #7

hi, thanks for the post, i am desperate! i'm not sure if my issue is one that can be fixed by this advice (my screen starts up black and i have tried everything) but i am going to try what you say and cross my toes!!:?
hisangelheart is offline   Reply With Quote