Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:51 AM   #1

i have a konica digital revio KD-500z camera.....and i use a scandisk 256 Mb memory....it worked fine a couple days ago, but not anymore.....
whenever i put that card in it says DON'T FORMAT
i also tried it with my aunts Kodak 512Mb Scandisk memory too, but it said the SAME thing....someone PLEASE HELP
THANK YOU!!
aztek13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:18 PM   #2
Administrator

Ignore the "Don't Format" and Format the card via the camera's menus for Format (not with a PC).

Something got translated wrong from Japanese. It's really telling you that it needs formatting (you've got corrupted memory cards). ;-)

After opening the cover to turn on the camera, press menu, then scroll to Setup, then select Format and answer yes when prompted.

BTW, Konica had speciific warnings on the memory card compability page for your model at one point that using a Sandisk 256MB Secure Digital Card could cause this model to malfunction with errors.

Only Toshiba and Panasonic cards (or brands using the same components) were tested as compatible in 256MB size with this model. In 512MB size, only cards using Panasonic Components were considered to be compatible by Konica.

So, it's not uncommon to see corrupted media problems with larger Sandisk Secure Digital Cards in this model.

I'd suggest updating the camera's firmware if you haven't already done so. Newer firmware may help with better memory card compatibility.

Support Page for Downloading Firmware Version 3.38A for KD-500z:

http://www.konicaminoltasupport.com/...re.3976.0.html

I'd also suggest formatting a memory card with the camera's menus for format, prior to every use.

It's just as fast as deleting your images anyway, and formatting it via the menus insures that you always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects (since the camera is performing the format).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:25 PM   #3

THANK U SOOOOO MUCH.....but i got one more problem....when i go to the MENU n format it to the camera.....it says UNABLE TO FORMAT.....dam, wat does that mean???
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:30 PM   #4
Administrator

That's not a good sign.

Have you got a card reader? If so, try to format the memory card with it. But, make *sure* to select FAT as the file system type, because Windows will default to a 32 Bit FAT (File Allocation Table) by default (which is *not* compatible with your camera).

So, after "right clicking" on your card reader under "My Computer", select Format. When the next screen comes up, you'll see a drop down list for File System Type. Select FAT for the correct type that is compatible with your camera.

If you can't get it to format that way, try it in another camera (using another camera's menus for format).

After you get a good format (either with another camera or with a PC), then make sure to format it with your camera's menu choice for format before using it again.

If it won't format with another camera or using a card reader, chances are, the card is defective (it happens).

Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Administrator

One other thing...

If the cards will work in another camera (you can format them), and you still can't format them in your Konica, try cleaning the contacts on the cards (rub them on a pair of jeans if nothing else), and try inserting and removing the cards a few times to help with any oxidation on contacts.

Sometimes a bit of oxidation can form on the card contacts in a camera (so that they're not getting a good enough connection).

Make sure the tiny lock/unlock switch on the card is in the unlocked position, too.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:37 PM   #6

ok, THANK U SOOOOO MUCH...ill try it thnxs!!
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:41 PM   #7
Administrator

If you've got a smaller card that works (even the small Toshiba 16MB SD card that came with it), try updating your firmware if nothing else works (you have to copy a KD-500z.biin file to a Secure Digital card that works in it to update the firmware)

Again, Konica had specific warnings that using Sandisk 256MB cards would could cause this camera to malfunction with errors (and larger Sandisk cards also had problems in this model).

That's rare for a camera manufacturer to single out a specific memory card brand as not being compatible. New firmware will probably help that issue.

Let me know if none of the above works. I know a few "tricks" that may get one working again, depending on the problem.