Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 12, 2002, 3:06 PM   #11

Default Dimage arrival

Delivered an hour ago by Fed Ex.
Both sets of batteries are charging.
1600 ma in Quest charger
1850 ma in Sanyo 'quick charger

(1Gb microdrive kit on B.O.)
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2002, 3:13 PM   #12
NHL

Cald

See here for 1G Microdrive
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2002, 3:26 PM   #13

Default Microdrive due soon

Norman Camera says they are expecting Microdrives either today or Monday. My back order will be delivered ASAP no extra charge.
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2002, 4:10 PM   #14

NHL,
Is the EVF always gonna be kinda grainy. I went to a local Camera store and they have one on display. I picked it up and looked through the EVF and it was grainy, I adjusted the diopter to make it focus and it got a little better but still grainy. Is that the way they all are? Because of the LCD?
DWalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2002, 4:46 PM   #15
NHL

DWalley

It's always like that, but each pixel can display all three colors so it's one of the better EVF out there. If you want to manually focus on something use the x4 magnification, it actually works quite well, and the grain is less noticeable @ higher magnification...

That's one of the trade-off about the EVF that one has to live with; However try to use the D7 @ night and this is when the magic happens. The D7(i) EVF turns to black @ white and you can actually compose and shoot on things (in color) that you can't see with your bare eyes (the AF still work as well...) Try to do that with an optical viewfinder...
Old Jul 12, 2002, 10:53 PM   #16

Default Photosmart and Microdrives

NHL,
I have a HP Photosmart 1115. Do you know if the 1 gig MicroDrive will work on it. This is what I read a hp.com.

All HP Photosmart printers, with the exception of the HP Photosmart Original Photo printer, are compatible with IBM Microdrives with a capacity of up to 170 MB. In addition, the HP Photosmart 1315 printer is compatible with IBM Microdrives up to 528 MB.
NOTE: The IBM Microdrive family of products is the latest in disk drive technology from IBM. The newest Microdrive weighs less than a AA battery and can hold 200 times more data or images than a floppy disk. The Microdrive uses hard disk drive (HDD) technology to store information. The drive interface type is CompactFlash CF+ (Type II compliant, industry standard CompactFlash Type II form factor) with storage capacities 170 MB, 340 MB, 512 MB and 1 GB.
Old Jul 13, 2002, 6:18 AM   #17
NHL

DWalley

My older PhotoSmart HP1100 works fine with the microdrives (ditto with my son's Epson 785EPX). However that said, I usually by-pass the printers when I know that the device has a lot of pictures on it... I can't imagine how long that'll take to download 528Mb (and over) through the printer's USB port... In most cases I push save and walk-away (or cruise the web) until done.

With the microdrive or large flash cards, Firewire or USB 2.0 is a minimum unless you're willing to wait !!! The MindStor for example that I use for backup on my Carribean trips can do the file transfers in a blink of an eye.

PS.
May be HP is refering to the Photosmart capability of printing pictures directly from the microdrives, which I never try (I don't know who would), but may be the printers internal firmware or memories are not large enough to handle all the thumbnails that could be generated and output by the printers from a larger drive.

[Edited on 7-13-2002 by NHL]
Old Jul 13, 2002, 7:06 AM   #18

I hate to buy a microdrive and not be able to download pics to computer. Is there another device that is en expensive?
Old Jul 13, 2002, 7:50 AM   #19
NHL

DWalley

I did not say that you can't download, but that it'll take time and you'll have the same problem with any large flashes!!! It's the connection speed, this is a 1G hardrive and in most cases it'll be faster than flash except for startup from idle, and will always have the lowest cost/MB (otherwise all PCs will be running out of flash by now)