Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 11, 2002, 2:09 PM   #1

Default Minolta gear on order!

Thanks to lots of helpful folks, my D7i and accessories are on order - due tomorrow!
(just in time for Hot photo-doc project at work)
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2002, 5:58 PM   #2
NHL

Are you getting the microdrive too? I think it's the perfect combination... with another set of NiMh and you are all set for the whole day and never have to worry about running out of film (and development cost) again !
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2002, 9:28 PM   #3

Default Dimage 7i 'Gear

Yup, NHL, ordered D7i, the 1G microdrive Road Warrier Kit, the Minolta Accessories Kit, and a 49 to 55mm thread adapter to use the polarizing filter from my old Yashica SLR.
(via Norman Camera, thanks to other's positive dealings with them.)
Old Jul 11, 2002, 9:30 PM   #4

Default Dimage 7i 'Gear

Yup, NHL, ordered D7i, the 1G microdrive Road Warrier Kit, the Minolta Accessories Kit, and a 49 to 55mm thread adapter to use the polarizing filter from my old Yashica SLR.
(via Norman Camera, thanks to other's positive dealings with them.)
Old Jul 11, 2002, 11:54 PM   #5

Where did you order it from? How much did you get it for?
DWalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2002, 12:36 AM   #6
NHL

Cald

A favor please... Can you confirm for all other members of this board (beside me) that after loading a fully charged battery you can randomly shoot over 300+ shots with the microdrive in a row?

Some people are obviously undercharging their batteries (or faulty charger) and blame it on the poor camera !!! (That's like 7 to 8W, and even @ over an amp of current draw it should last at least 4hr)
Old Jul 12, 2002, 5:53 AM   #7

Default Dimage 7i newbie today?

NHL, I'll follow battery charging instructions . Will make notes as I learn my way. . Can you suggest a 'proof of performance to verify the D7i is A-OK? I'd love to be the owner of a 100% unit. Can you repeat the 'basic settings (given on old forum) to point & shoot until the variables are mastered.

RE: With thanks to Mike on the DPR forum, I bought everything from Norman Camera. (Closest, reliable dealer with decent prices.) Only one of two dealers near me had stock - both = list price.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 7:53 AM   #8

Default Dimage 7i cost

Sorry I forgot to answer your question, DWally. $899 @ Norman Camera.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 8:38 AM   #9
NHL

Cald

The camera comes default in the Point&Shoot mode or (P-button) Pro-Auto mode. You pretty much have to turn the LCD off right-away (don't worry, it'll come on automatically whenever needed!).
Go to SETUP, Custom 2 > EVF AutoSwitch > EVF auto ON. The camera now only turns on it's EVF when you bring it to eye level... Notice the LCD is still active in setup (like I say the camera is pretty smart...)

Also turn off the 2s instant playback:
Go to RECORDING, Custom 2 > Instant playback > OFF

Now the camera is optimized for power conservation...(ie just like Minolta's battery test method) You might want to turn the sound off as well, I've found that it speed up the camera between shots or when navigating the menus...

I bet that within the first day, you can turn the D7i to fully manual and enjoy the shooting since it's so flexible! Just dial the shutter speed or aperture until the EVF looks approximately right, and the exact picture displayed is recorded to flash/microdrive. People can complain all day about optical merit vs EVF, but I'd like to see them do that on their camera especially in difficult lighting situation !!!

[Edited on 7-12-2002 by NHL]
Old Jul 12, 2002, 12:53 PM   #10

Default Thanks for Newbie help

NHL, Thanks - I printed your instructions and will begin by charging the batteries when the box arrives