Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:59 PM   #1

Default Yashicamat 124G TLR- who has ?

I have a Yashicamat 124G that I bought new from a camera store that was going out of business. Back then it cost me $ 249. I bought the lens hood and some filter like deals that are supposed to act as wide angle and telephoto additions to the twin lens reflex camera.

How many people out there, have a Yashica TLR...or even are aware of this unusual beast. It's been out of production since the mid-80's and as this is when I bought one i wonder if I have one of the last.

Works great, probably put less than 10 rolls through it. But I love the little TLR...it's a companion to my Mamiya 220 Pro f TLR...an altogether different TLR...more of a basic commercial camera with interchangeable lenses.

Heres some pix of Yashicamat TLR's.

http://http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=yashica+124g+pictures&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=KkjWSpraOYHVlAex26ydCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_g roup&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQsAQwAA
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:43 AM   #2

Good Morning Les-

I saw a Yashicamat 124G just about two months ago in a Greek camera store, while doing a contract in the Med. The owner had taken the camera in as a trade, because he had some Rollei experience, and had a soft spot in his heart for TLR camera. He has had no interested in the camera, which he has now marked down to the equivalent of $(US)103.00.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Good Morning Les-

I saw a Yashicamat 124G just about two months ago in a Greek camera store, while doing a contract in the Med. The owner had taken the camera in as a trade, because he had some Rollei experience, and had a soft spot in his heart for TLR camera. He has had no interested in the camera, which he has now marked down to the equivalent of $(US)103.00.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Morning Sarah,

I think that although the old Yashicamat 124G was a fine old camera it would have little appeal now...120 film, a bit awkward to use and absolutely ancient in the eyes of many.

Like the photo shop owner I too have a soft spot for the TLR...I also have a Mamiya 220F professional TLR.

Les
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:03 AM   #4

I used many TLR's over the years, including the YashicaMat, and it's miniature sibling, the Yashica 44, a tiny TLR using 127 film. Others I owned included a couple of Rolleiflexes, Mamiya 220, and Mamiya 330 (with a full complement of lenses).
neilcrichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:07 PM   #5

I never owned a Yashicamat 124G, or the earlier plain 124. When I was into 120 I owned a Mamyia C33. I do know the 124G very well, though. After nearly a quarter century running camera stores I dealt with many.

Its a rather decent Rolleiflex clone. Very good, but not excellent, lens and rather reliable. Not as solidly built as a Rollei, but still rather good. Much better than the later Chinese imports.

Yashica made a number of TLRs over the years. The 124 was the first to support 220 (12 exposure 120, 24 exposure 220, hence 124). The later "G" version added gold switch contacts to the finder hood's meter switch, but over the years also introduced some cost cutting changes (plastic battery cap, ...). The tele and wide attachments generally aren't great, but work well enough for snapshot sized prints.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:13 PM   #6

My first medium format camera was a Yashica Mat 124. I jumped from a cheap Kodak 35mm. straight to MF. The 80mm. 1:3,5 lens rendered great negatives, with nice contrast and excellent sharpness. I shot lots of picks, family portraits, landscapes, etc. When sometimes I go back and look at the negatives, I can see what a great entry camera it was. It forced you to compose the photo and precisely measure settings, which was excellent to learn the fundamentals.
This is crop from a scanned plus 30 years old print. Originaly sepia, I turned B&W.

Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:43 PM   #7

I had one back in the day. It was a great learning tool. Sometimes I have to laugh out loud when some of the new popular photographers (stuck in customs) make comments like great landscapes are done by wide angle. Not true, some great landscape shots have been taken with what is considered a normal lens. The majority of the popular TLR's came with a fixed lens. In fact, medium format and 35mm SLR's usually came with the standard lens. You had to walk around and study the image before clicking the shutter release button. A lot harder then standing in one position and zooming....
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:15 PM   #8

A unadvertised feature of TLRs, especially the C330, is one could use them to intimidate other photographers, even pros, into not making you the subject of one of there photographs. I used my C330 w/pentaprism, pistol grip and Rollie E36RE flash for this purpose. I didn't have to scowl or even look at the photog, just turn my body slightly to bring the camera into view and they immediately lowered their cameras. Great fun watching their reaction.

Related note, a Kodak Z612 has the opposite effect. I have been interviewed in newspapers and television more since I acquired that camera in 2007 than in the previous 60 yrs. of my life.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
A unadvertised feature of TLRs, especially the C330, is one could use them to intimidate other photographers, even pros, into not making you the subject of one of there photographs. I used my C330 w/pentaprism, pistol grip and Rollie E36RE flash for this purpose. I didn't have to scowl or even look at the photog, just turn my body slightly to bring the camera into view and they immediately lowered their cameras. Great fun watching their reaction.

Related note, a Kodak Z612 has the opposite effect. I have been interviewed in newspapers and television more since I acquired that camera in 2007 than in the previous 60 yrs. of my life.

A. C.
I still have my Mamiya 220 Pro F, TLR...one model down from the 330. I have the 65 mm wide angle, 80mm normal and 180 mm telephoto. I used a Mamiya handle on mine.

Same deal...the great intimidator in public...especially good with those who used top of the line Canon or Nikon 35 mm slr's...the size, look of complexity, use of a hand held, large Sekonic light meter and particularly when I had the dual lens barreled and long 180mm telephoto on the body was enough for them to acknowledge that they had been soundly out profiled.

The pix from the Mamiya's 6 X 6 negative was also really...really good.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:31 PM   #10

I couldn't help and digitized a 25 years old 6x6 negative shot with the Yashica Mat 124.
Natural light and some lateral lamps, tripod, etc.
I resized it to fit our actual "tiny" screens:

Last edited by Ordo; Mar 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote