Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:07 PM   #1

Default SL300R - a few questions

Hi! Great Site! It has already helped me out a lot. I am really interested in this camera, but am comparing it to others. Here are some things I could not discern from the review:

1)I know it has memo for pictures, but does it have a memo feature limited by time, or perhaps the length of memory, as with the movie mode? (like for dictation, or recording a brief conversation?)

2) does it have video conferencing/webcam cababilities?

3) Can it connect to the TV (actually, I just read the review again - no, huh?)? If not, can the video it takes (AVI?) be burned onto a DVD or CD-R and played on a DVD player (or perhaps converted onto VHS somehow?) I ask because it sounds like this is one of the best movie-mode cameras of it's size.

4) I really like the 3.5 shots per second. Is it that fast w/flash as well?

That's it for now. Thanks for any help!

~Mike
alph seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2004, 1:55 AM   #2

You can download the manual from the Kyocera web site. It's very complete and will answer many of your questions.

http://www.kyoceraimaging.com/downlo...ection=manuals

I bought a SL300R about a week ago and so far I like it.

Positives: Good saturated colors, good sky colors, small size and weight, not much purple fringing, very fast between pictures.

Negatives: No lens cover - definitely the achilles heel of this camera. Battery life could be better. I bought an extra and I'm glad I did.

Movie mode looks good so far, though I doubt I'll use it much. I'm more of a landscape photographer so I haven't tested multiple image mode, with or without flash. Looks like it doesn't work with a flash (see below).

Certainly with the proper software movies from this or any camera can be made into DVDs or whatever. No webcam software ships with the camera, but that doesn't mean it can't be done somehow. You'd need a stand of some kind. I have an iSight webcam so I don't need this in the Kyocera.

Here's a quote from the manual on continuous shooting:

The speed at which data is written to a memory card varies according to the type of card used. If you use an SD memory card that is intended for high-speed recording, you can use continuous shooting to shoot at approx. 3.5 frames per second until the memory card is full. If you use the flash, you can only shoot one frame.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 12:13 PM   #3
klo

I received my Contax SL300RT last week. Steve mentioned that the video quality of S5R is disappointing and I have to say the video quality of SL300RT is BAD too. It's nothing compared to my old Fuji F601 which takes good movies (not 30fps though). Picture quality is good but a little bit on the dark side and some purple fringing. Have to play with the camera more to get the optimal settings.

Regarding your questions:
1) no, it doesn't have memo feature on movie mode
2) no webcam capabilities
3) there's no video out. As I said, I'm not happy with the video quality that there's no way I'd burn it onto a DVD/CD. But I think you can.
4) the burst mode is FANTASTIC!!! It's really fast. Make sure you get the right SD card. I use the PANASONIC 256Mb SD which supports a transfer speed of 10Mb/s. I heard a lot of people complained about the Sandisk one.
klo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 7:20 AM   #4

May I add another question (sorry if it's a dumb one):

Is it possible to actually shoot in the "closed"
(non-twisted, pocketable) position?

I ask, because some of the Kyocera PR photos show
it in the "shooting" and "closed" (or "off" or whatever)
position. I thought at first that perhaps the action of
twisting it powered it on, but I see it has a separate power-on
button, so presumably not.

Thank you.
Montmorency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 2:33 AM   #5

Yes, the camera will make an image while closed, or open, or any angle in between. Holding the camera around waist level and just slightly twisting the body so I can see the screen is a technique I use.

I'd like to add something about battery use. Kyocera says that it takes four hours to charge the battery, and that the red charging light goes out when the battery is 90 percent charged. My red light goes out after about 2 or 2.5 hours. It seems like I get much better battery life if I ignore the red light and just charge for four hours. If you have a similar camera, I'm curious how you are doing with the batteries.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMcL
Yes, the camera will make an image while closed, or open, or any angle in between. Holding the camera around waist level and just slightly twisting the body so I can see the screen is a technique I use.

I'd like to add something about battery use. Kyocera says that it takes four hours to charge the battery, and that the red charging light goes out when the battery is 90 percent charged. My red light goes out after about 2 or 2.5 hours. It seems like I get much better battery life if I ignore the red light and just charge for four hours. If you have a similar camera, I'm curious how you are doing with the batteries.

Many thanks for that Bruce.

On batteries, I've seen at least one user review somewhere
that complained rather of short battery life.
Is this generally the case? Is a spare battery a 'must'?

Another question: in operation, is there any/much audible noise?
(I was thinking of its potential use in candid / street photography
situations).
Montmorency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 5:12 PM   #7

I bought an extra battery but I'm not sure it's a must. I haven't used the camera enough to have a more definitive answer. One of the first things I did with the camera was turn off continuous auto focus. From what I've read that's one thing that drains the camera batteries.

Like most digital cameras, the boops and beeps can be turned off in a menu setting. Other than that it's very quiet. The lens assembly, including the zoom, is all enclosed in the metal case, and I think that helps. Focusing is very quiet and so is zooming.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 3:06 PM   #8

I haven't had any problems with the Sandisk Ultra11 512 MB card I've been using. As far as the battery goes, earlier postings have the charging time at 4 hours. It's three hours. But it is a long time. I have an extra battery. I've tried to find an external rapid charging device...does anyone have a lead?
There are devices online that say they work for this camera's battery, but it's not OEM, and the tech support at Kyocera is non-commital. I know when people have used non-OEM items on Sony products, serious problems can arise.
The camera is fun, takes wonderful pictures, and if you're looking for "perfect" - look to spend a lot more money. (And no matter what you spend, you won't find perfection in any digital camera.)
macroom is offline   Reply With Quote