Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Sep 30, 2004, 8:32 PM   #11

YUP....and I really like it. I have a number of cameras, but this one is so easy to carry and has that great LCD.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 4:12 AM   #12

You have it down toa "T" :roll:...... exactly why I like it ...... no hesitation to take it everywhere with me, no matter what I'm doing, or where I'm going.

The M410R is an all-singing-all-dancingcamera by comparison and takes very good shots.... but the Contax has the edge on quality.

Cheers, KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 12:14 PM   #13

Another question if I may. The description for the new Contax U4R (or maybe i4R I forget) mentioned that besides the 3fps RTUNE continuous shooting mode (I'm guessing the same as the 3.3fps continous shooting modeof the Kyocera SL400R), the Contax also supports a 1.4fps"Enhanced Continuous AF Shooting" mode which basically seems to mean it will continue to autofocusduringthe continuous shots, helpful for moving subjects (but at a lower 1.4fps vs. 3fps).

I could not find mention of the same feature in Kyocera's website. Does anyone know if it'ssupported with the Finecam models?

Without autofocusing, does the continuous shooting mode tend to lose focus or get blurry for many of the subsequent shots for rapidly moving subjects? Sorry as you can tell I'm very inexperienced...

BTW, is Contax just an internal brand name for Kyocera, or is it a different company altogether?
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:06 PM   #14

That also leads me to wonder, do these new Contax models (U4R/i4R) provide considerably faster/better autofocusing system in general?

I like RTUNE on the Kyocera for the very fast shutter delay, but it's measured after focusing (after you hold down the shutter button halfway). Yet a couple of past reviews I had read said that the actual autofocus performance on the Kyocera is just average (or below average)?

So a fast autofocus system would seem to be the only area needing improvement? Is this exactly what the U4R/i4R offer?
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:00 PM   #15

All I have is just one of these cameras the SL300R"T" so I would not have any idea as to how it might compare with all the others mentioned? I do have other cameras, however, and I would NOT consider the SL300R "T" below average` for focus for cameras of this type. It does not have a focus assist lamp etc ect... All in all I feel that the shot to shot times are very good. But you do have to work at focus in low light conditions, or use a flash etc ect....
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 6:21 AM   #16

normc wrote:
Quote:
All I have is just one of these cameras the SL300R"T" so I would not have any idea as to how it might compare with all the others mentioned? I do have other cameras, however, and I would NOT consider the SL300R "T" below average` for focus for cameras of this type. It does not have a focus assist lamp etc ect... All in all I feel that the shot to shot times are very good. But you do have to work at focus in low light conditions, or use a flash etc ect....
Nornc's evaluation seems very fair and correct. I totally agree with his comments on this camera.

I'd be surprised if anyone has had an i4R or U4R, even a review model,long enough to compare it with anything else :O

Cheers, KK
Old Oct 10, 2004, 2:25 PM   #17

i was wondering what type of SD memory i should buy for my sl300r t*. i was thinking about a sandisk 1gb ultra II, but do not know if i will need all of that memory. what should i buy?
kpxjasperxbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 3:15 PM   #18

My experience is, yes you will want all that memory. Not so much for photos but for videos. The camera takes such great video, you will use it a lot! Videos, unfortunately take up huge amounts of memory. I have a 256 UltraII and wish I had waited to get a 1GB. The prices on memory chips is falling incredibly fast lately making me believe there is something big in the works. Waiting for this new stuff might be worth it however, if you can get a good deal on a chip today, I would buy it. Who knows what the price of the new stuff will be, usually much more that it's worth at the moment.

...Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 3:55 PM   #19

kpxjasperxbmw wrote:
Quote:
i was wondering what type of SD memory i should buy for my sl300r t*. i was thinking about a sandisk 1gb ultra II, but do not know if i will need all of that memory. what should i buy?
KYUK seem to be recommending the Dane-Elec Xs cards.

Some pointers about the Contax SL300RT* and Kyocera SL300R:

A good friend of mine had the Kyocera version ..... he thought it was an "average" if not "useful" camera. The KYUK Sales Manager advised him to try the Contax version and provide him with one to compare against his Kyocera. He now owns the Contax version and the Kyocera version has been sold. His comments were ...." A great improvement in image quantity"

Can T* coating make that much difference? Maybe? But could it be that Contax cream off the best lenses units for their version after they have finished their MTF and other quality tests?

I'm not prepared to believe in "Fairy Dust" and the explanation above is almost certainly nearer the truth.

Unlike my friend, I can't directly compare like with like ........ but I do have the SL300RT* and a Kyocera M410R (4MB) and until recently had Kyocera S3X and S3L cameras. Guess which one seems to me to have the edge!

Despite, hopefully coming to the right conclusion, you may be surprised that I still won't let you prise the M410R out of my mitts, it may not have the "bite" of the Contax but it is one hell of a versatile camera .... and no slouch perrformer by comparison with its T* cousin. I love them both!

As for "value for money". Look at the overall package price for the Contax and the Kyocera versions ..... AND what comes in the package. Certainly in the UK, the price difference does not seem to be that great, when you look at the package specs.

I guess some bargain Contax SL300RT*'s may be had shortly when the Contax SL400RT* (oops, sorry) ....the U4R appears on the shelves.

As for the U4R specs vs the SL300RT* specs, the few provisional details seem to suggest

1) 2" LCD vs 1.5" LCD

2) USB Docking station with battery charger vs No Docking station.

3) TV (NTSC/PAL) out via Docking station vs No TV out.

4) 9 point multi Af function for improved focussing.

5) 6x digital zoom vs 2x in record mode

6) 1100mAH vs 780mAH L-ion Batt.

7) Nice Leather (to smell :-)) vs Plastic.

Oh! Yeah! I nearly forgot .......

8) 4Mp vs 3Mp

That'll do for now! KK
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:28 PM   #20

edorfox wrote:
Quote:
The camera takes such great video, you will use it a lot! Videos, unfortunately take up huge amounts of memory.
I have been looking into first the Kyocera sl300r and now U4r largely because I would love to be able to have longer videos than my current camera (canon s30), but there are a few things I have been wondering about and I thought you might be able to help. Could you give a quick run down of how many minutes/seconds you can take with 15fps/30fps at 640 by 480 and 320 by 240 on a 256 card? Also, can you zoom while it is recording video (some digicams can and some can't)? And how is sound quality while recording? Thank you in advance.
-Beyozd
beyozd is offline   Reply With Quote