Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:51 PM   #81

Ian ..... Hang on again ....Egrets making me see your messages change before my eyes! I'll re-read all and have another go in a minute!

Cheers, KK.
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:06 PM   #82

Tony,

Yep, its a shame they don't just do a standard thread.

I'm wondering what a Hoya +10 would be like!!! They have sets on Ebay +1,+2,+4 and the macro +10 not a huge amount of money for what you get but "asian" who are they!

Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:28 PM   #83

OK ..... I think I covered the home-made tube angle and whether a 49/52/55mm close-up is best!

Let's look at the Raynox ..........in effect the Raynox IS a REALLY GOOD 49mm close-up/macro lens! I just has a different way of mounting (to make it fit the most number of lenses possible) and more glass than our simple +3/+4 dioptre lenses.

It has multiple elements to remove the CA and other defects that single element lenses like mine and Tony's have! Thus.... the separation is far less critical ........ if you wanted really large magnifications with the Raynox you could just use blank filters/tubes .... or whatever ..... to move it further away from thecamera's front element and increase the magnification. Go too far and the old CA will creep back in!

It is possible that Tony's +4 is a better lens than my +3. However both of these simple lenses can be seen to exhibit CA from the pictures Tony and I have posted (Tony's looks better ....it shouldn't be!). If you are happy with the amount of CA in these shots ....save your money! If you need greater magnification .....go for a higher dioptre number +5,+6, +10 etc.

The trade off is usually more CA as you increase the magnification. To combat this .... some manufacturers have introduced "super" versions of their close uplenses .... usually using 2 elements to combat CA. Hoya, for example, do a few 2 element versions, as do Nikon, Canon etc. But super versions cost super money (relatively) and are not usually found in the junk box at the camera fair! We are starting to see Raynox type money!

So ....at last we arrive at the Raynox! 3 Elements in 2 groups .... it's a real beaut as Chris Doudet showed us. I estimate that it's actually a +8 or +10 dioptre ....but it's mainly a guess.

OK ..... now I think I will try to turn you into a gibbering wreck (just for fun :-)).

There are some other high class multiple elements lens about that we could attach to the front of our M410R......... they are called CAMERA LENSES!

I have heard that Zeiss make the best (cough, cough!) ...... we could add a male 52mm-to-male 52mm (or 52/55 or 55/52 or 55/55!) lens coupling ring to the front of our adapter tube and screw a nice 52mm thread camera lens to the front! it will look mega-ugly ....but boy! ..... it might really do the business. Don't ask me what focal length would be best .....I do not have the foggiest! That'll keep ya busy on Google for a while!

And finally to send you to bed sobbing at all the possibilities ..... see here!

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/closeups.html

Sleep tight!

Cheers, KK.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:38 AM   #84
TC3

Why does it all have to be so intense....so complicated....so ......i know....a teacher always goes into great detail i believe :-)

Joking aside your experience benefits us a lot KK

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:09 AM   #85

Ah! Too much for some :?, too little for others :sleep:.

Teachers are always trying to push the bright ones that little bit further :idea:

Tony, I agree the Raynox Snappy mount looks ugly ....... but you can always mount a 52/43 Step-Down ring on the close-up lens, and screw it to the camera! It would be a slower processto add and remove it. I'd need 55/43.

Cheers, KK.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:21 AM   #86
TC3

True that is another way around using that ugly mount and it is what i would do personally. You wont be in a rush doing macro so it would not be an issue if it took longer to mount.

Tony
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:32 PM   #87

Hi all,

has anyone tried those DKE close up filters? Tony you have the DKE hood? whats it like not that it has any glass, but quality ok?

Just seen these filters on Ebay from US £6 +P&P cheap really for +1,+2,+4 and macro......is it worth trying them for that sort of money??

Ian
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:11 PM   #88
TC3

Ian

I remember reading a review about DKE making ok filters....my hood is well made and looks quality for the low cost i paid.

For that money why not? Then again why would you need +1 and 2 if you get a +4?

My advice is either get a better known brand +4 from e bay or a new one from Jessops for 11 quid....same as mine...you really dont need +1 or 2 as you have that covered by zooming out with a +3 or 4

Tony
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:14 PM   #89

Yep,

Thats what I thought but you can stack these filters on top of each other!!

Picture probably looks crap but would be worth the laugh I reckon.

Ian
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:26 PM   #90
TC3

Stacking those type of filters together will prob produce real obvious CA but it would be interesting to see the result if you are going to get em

Tony