Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:26 AM   #1

Hi
I have a set of Yashica GSN Electro 35 Auxiliary Telephoto & Wide Lenes and was wondering if they would work with the modern digital cameras (I have Panasonic FZ-10 /20 series in mind) with proper adaptors offcourse.

Tele: 1.3x 55mm screw-in mount 40 degrees angle of view

Wide: 0.8x 55mm screw-in mount 61 degrees angle of view

I have heard that it is nearly impossible to use them with any other camera/lens
tell me its not so

Thanx

Awais
Old Sep 13, 2004, 11:05 AM   #2

They work well on my M410R, with only a tiny amount of vignetting with the W/A aux lens at widest setting of the camera lens. They do not appear to add any significant distortion.

The weight of these old beauties is not a problem on the M410R as you are threading them onto a solid metal tube fixed to the camera body, not the moveable lens assembly. The 72mm front elements look very.

OT …. The 52mm rectangular metal lens hood made for the ML series of lenses also looks . It is 54mm inside diameter so slips nicely over the filter, does not vignetteand has a locking screw.

BFN KK

Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 4:09 PM   #3

These pictures are so cool. I'm jumping in formy FZ10. Just one question: Are they 52mm dismeter or 55mm? I saw two versions of info...

But does the lens auto-focuses or need manual focusing? I see that there is a barrel on the lenses.
songkuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:03 PM   #4

Myaux lenses are 55mm thread. I think they are all 55mm.

The M410R has a 49mm to 52mm tube supplied, so I used a 52 to 55 step-up.

The camera will autofocus as normal with either aux lens fitted. The "barrel" that you see has no function other than to help you screw the aux lens onto the camera.

The aux lenses were part of the accessories for the Yashica Electro series of cameras from 1960/1970's and are very well made. They are probably better than many budget aux lenses, but may not be quite as good as the expensive Raynox aux lenses.

However, they can still be found on Ebay or other places at a very good price, certainly cheaper than Raynox lenses ...... I guess I would not pay too much for them, otherwise it would be better to put the money toward the Raynox lenses or some thing similar. If you get them cheap, you will be quite happy, and they will be better than the current new budget lenses.

Happy shooting, KK
Old Dec 19, 2004, 5:26 PM   #5

Great! I got them for my FZ10, just need some stepping rings.

Have a nice Christmas!
songkuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 6:48 PM   #6
TC3

KK someone has offered me a set of the Electro lenses with end caps and carry bag for 20 quid. Any chance of posting 2 pics please showing each of the lenses on the camera with views from the side?

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:20 PM   #7

Here's one already done for the Tele .... to be honest the shot of the Wide will look EXTREMELY similar.

Yashica Guy has a good section on them

http://www.yashica-guy.com/document/variations.html

If you'd like two shotsspecifically as you asked above .... I'll do them .......is there a particular feature you are looking for?

Cheers, KK
Attached Images

Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:06 AM   #8
TC3

KK

Do not worry about theside view pics i asked for. I am buying the lenses of the web and was not sure if the wide angle looked bigger but if it is similar thats fine as it looks ok on the camera.

I did not see the point of spending a lot of money on a raynox when yours give a good result anyway! I better make sure i am not being offered the slip on set which looks exactly what i am being offered with the case as shown on theweb site you posted

Cheers

Tony
Old Jan 22, 2005, 7:04 AM   #9

Jolly good!

As before, I do not advise any reader to spend too much money on these lenses, as good money should be put toward the Raynox (or other). But ....if a bargain is available, and the tiniest amount of vignetting is acceptable using the wide angle at the widest setting of the camera .... then by all means try them.

(Actually, I wonder if the vignetting is still there since I made my own M410R lens adapter from a 49/55mm step-up and a few old filters with the glass removed? I use this to get my +3 diopter close-up lens as close to the front element as possible - it may eliminate the vignetting - I'll try it!)

There's a lot a of good glass and metal gone into making these old G series Yashica Aux lenses, but remember they were formulated for the excellent 35mm - 45mm Yashinons.

However, I reckon they work well on the M410R, and find the wide aux lens the most useful, as 370mm equivalent on the camera is pretty long as standard!

Cheers, KK
Old Jan 22, 2005, 7:11 AM   #10
TC3

I personally would prefer a Raynox lens so maybe i will try one out before i decide to buy anything