Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Sep 29, 2004, 2:52 PM   #1

I have been searching for information on the power requirements of the DC power socket on the M410R.

One should be able to use an AC/DC adapter but the camera manual gives no information regarding the DC socket and there is no mention of an AC/DC adapter on the official Kyocera websites.

My reason for asking is that I have just ordered a Maha powerbank to use with another digital camera and was wondering if it can also be used with the M410R.

I have checked the Maha Energy website but no Kyocera camera is listed in their compatibility chart.

Is anyone using either the Maha MH-DPB220LI-U or DigiPower DPS-9000 battery pack with the M410R?

Harryo
Harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:21 PM   #2

Hello Harryo

Your first clue in this little puzzle is the bold and unusual(?) statement right on the sticker on the bottom of the camera!

DC = 5V (sorry can't do the dash - dot symbols on the same line).

Clue number 2 is the fact that the M410R can use virtually any type of AA cells from fully charged, fresh Alkalines ..... to well worn and crusty (not to crusty :lol NiCd's.

I have just measured a fresh set of well known black and gold Alk AA's, without even removeing them from their bubblepack by sticking my multimeter probes points into the pack :O. Each measured approx 1.608 Volts. A pack of 4 would give you over 6.4 Volts (under virtually no load) but we could expect them to easily top 6 volts under operating conditions within the camera .... for a while anyway, while they were fresh!

My NiMH's were measured at around4.5 Volts (total for the 4)when the camera reported "low battery".

This gives a useable range of at least 4.5 Volts to 6.4 Volts. The upper "limit" is likely to be higher .....up to a point. I.e. there is likely to be a regulator built in to the camera to cope with this wide range of battery (and AC adapter) voltages, and although it will have a finite upper limit, the regulator will no doubt "dump" the excess voltage (as heat!). In no way do I advocate experimenting to find the upper limit, you understand :shock:

To get back directly to the AC-73L, I am lucky to have this adapter supplied with my SL300RT* (which incidently uses the BP-780S, 3.7V 780mAh L-ion pack). It states on the side of the adapter 5volt 1700mA. You can see that it appears that the SL300RT* also "dumps" the excess. BTW, the no load voltage of the AC-73L was measured as 5.11 Volts.

As Kyocera show on their release page for the M400/410R that this adapter is the recommended one ...... you can be safe knowing that any reasonably good quality similar REGULATED power supply in this voltage region, and this milli-Amp region should be safe.

As an aside, and to offer some practical reassurance, I have heard of several users of the SL300RT* using Contax P8 power packs to extend the use of the camera ..... while digiscoping. They have used 4 AA cells, at possibly 6V,in the P8 and not managed to blow-up their 3.7 Volt driven cameras :-)

Ihave built my own cheap-skate version of the P8 using a standard, cheap 4 AA plastic battery holder and a power lead with the correct power plug on it. It has powered my SL300RT* and my M410R with no mishaps, using 4 x Alks or 4 x NiMH

Hope this helps ...... KK

Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:54 AM   #3

Kyocera Kid wrote:
Quote:
Hello Harryo

Your first clue in this little puzzle is the bold and unusual(?) statement right on the sticker on the bottom of the camera!

DC = 5V (sorry can't do the dash - dot symbols on the same line).
Thank you Kyocera Kid.

Never look in the obvious places! :?

I checked the cameras instruction book and the full version on the CD and there was no mention of the voltage.

Even checked Kyocera's UK website and they do not even list the M410R on there at all.

Found the rest of your post extremely helpful, thanks again for responding.

Harryo
Harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:44 AM   #4

You're welcome Harryo ... anything other problems ....send them in ... I'll probably see them.

We M410R owners should swap tips, moans and queries.

BFN Kyocera Kid
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote