Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:58 PM   #1

hey there

my s4 has just broke after dropping it while visiting the local zoo... oh dear i have to have a new camera!

i have been looking at the s5r as it seems far better than the s4 plus i have a total of 3 batteries and 3/4 gig of sd cards that i can use in it.

i am in a dilema as to whether to go for the s5r or the m410r as the 410 seems more proffesional and has the 2 fps with autofocus on. does the s5r have this feature too?

i really liked the s4 as it was so small, which is why the s5 appeals. the m410r obviously is considerably bigger.

whats the concensus?

thanks in advance
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2004, 2:59 PM   #2

Hi 5teve

To answer the easy part first ..... straight off Kyocera's Global website for the S5R.....

5. Continuous AF that Allows You to Seize the Moment and a High-Speed Drive that Does Not Let You Miss an Opportunity
The camera incorporates a continuous AF that follows a moving subject, so it keeps it in focus while the camera remains turned on. The shutter delay time has been improved to 0.07 seconds*3, which is as fast as that of general, conventional film based single-lens reflex cameras.
* 3) The time from half pressing the shutter to completely pressing it to start the exposure

Which camera to buy is the harder question:O

The S3, S4 and S5 series are all in the same league ...... they are small but you know that they are big enough to put a bump in your pocket ..... (Stop snickering at the back and pay attention!)

With similar features, but slim and sexy(?), why not look at thespecs of either the Kyocera SL300R or SL400R or ...... my particular recommendation .... the Contax SL300RT* or the brand new U4R (lets' pretend it should have been called the Contax SL400RT*).

The features and performance of these 4 cameras are not dissimilar to the S4 that you were used to, but slip into the shirt/coat pocket without any worry of unsightly bumps!

The big point is that they are all "R" cameras ..... with that big advantage over the S4.

As muchas I love the M410R .... and ....several times I've said no one will prise it from my sticky fingers ....... Professional is stretching the description slightly :G.

More versatile, than the S3/4/5 series and even the Contaxes .... Yes! Definitely! Professional ...... nearly!

It looks the part ..... Cor! it looks like a "real" camera, not a budget compact (Hey! Joe! Is that a Digi or a film camera?) With results that are not far behind the glamorous Contax cousins ..... the M410R's forte is to be able to get shots were the other cameras can not! Now ..... in my book a good .... I repeat ..... a good shot ..... that is not quite 100% is also infinitely better than no shot from a technically superior camera! In this respect you could even say the M410R produces superior results! I'm sure you see what I mean.

If you like the idea of a very, very versatile camera that needs to be thought of as a mini SLR, with which you might like to experiment,and are prepared to have a bag to fit it(and possibly the accessories), as opposed to sticking it with all the fluff in your pocket , then the M410R is the one for you.

You could sell the S4 batteries on Ebay!:-)

Hope that helps ....... Kyocera Kid.
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 3:07 PM   #3

errr kinda helps me

thanks for the extensive reply!

i do love the size or the s3 s4 s5 i have looked at the smaller ones but i think they are just too small if you know what i mean.... just personal pref.

i knew the s5r has continuous auto focus. but on the m410r they make a big thing of the 2fps with cont autofocus. nowhere is it mentioned on the s5r. all they say is 3 fps with focus locked. the continuous auto focus is great and would be even better if i was bursting shots which is why im asking the question.

im still torn as batteries are dirt cheap for the 410. i maybe will able to get my s4 repaired and sold with the batteries... by the way how big is the m410r?... lazy me i could just go to the shop and see really couldnt i? :?

Thanks again for your extensive reply

Steve
Old Oct 13, 2004, 5:18 PM   #4

I see what you mean! They mention approx 3fps continuous and ....... continuous auto-focus ....... but not in the same sentence!:?

Sounds like you are of a similar opinion to me ....... gimme a camera that usesbatteries you can buy almost anywhere .... even at 11pm on a Sunday night in the middle of nowhere (just find a petrol station!) i.e. AA cells.

Size ....... does this help?

Cheers, KK

Attached Images

Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:50 AM   #5

thanks for the pictures! its not a huge beast then but still deeper than my s4 by quite a way. the battery thing is a bonus but i only paid £4 for each of my batteries for the s4 from ebay and they have been great.

i suppose image quality is the next thing. s5r vs m410r 5mp against 4mp. i know a poor 5mp is worse than a good 4mp but i would assume (a dangerous thing!) that they both use similar ccd's? ie the m410r uses something similar to an s4 but obviously and updated one!

verdict on quality?

sorry for all the questions!
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:23 AM   #6

Why not lookat Steve's sample pics from the reviewsfor the two cameras (if you haven't done so already). I find the "Brick Building" shots quite good for a general comparison.

All I can say is that there appears to be little in it ..... so I'd go for the super versatile M410R! If size is the issue, and you want an optical finder .... then it has to be the S5R. If the optical finder is optional ..... then go for the U4R!

Cheers, KK

Old Oct 18, 2004, 1:49 AM   #7

thanks kk

i have gone for the super bargain m410r at £267 inc delivery got 8x 2400 mah batteries and fast charger on the way too (£20 ebay!) i know its not a proper pro camera but its a good step up from my s4 (i hope :O). just need to sort the case out now..... im thinking a tamrac 5200 micro explorer might be a bit on the big side tho. need to go to jacobs and have a look.

thanks again for you help

Steve