Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Oct 21, 2004, 12:38 PM   #1

hi there

i have just noticed on my m410r that there seems to be a group of pixels that give dodgy readings and come in in all sorts of varying colours. i have checked out a number of images (bearing in mind they are just shots from round the house) and the 'hot' area is always in the same place. is it likely to be a defective ccd? is it a send it back job?

i have attached a cropped picture around the area. im not sure how visible it will be to you guys.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Attached Images

5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2004, 12:39 PM   #2

and another in exactly the same place
Attached Images

Old Oct 21, 2004, 2:13 PM   #3

i have been experimanting with the cam and its consitent across the range of resolution.

the ratio of the distance of the bad pixels from the upper left corner is the same on 2272x1704 and 1280x960 (i took the 2272 and divided it by the distance in pixels the hot area is from the corner then compared the same thing with the 1280 pixels the ratio was both time 1.55 identical too for the vertical dims - hope that makes sense?)

now a question. on lower resolutions is the whole of the ccd used and interpolated (wrong word probably) down to 1280x960? or is just a part of the ccd used. the reason i ask is because if the whole of the ccd is used then the bad part is in the ccd if only part of the ccd is used then im at a loss as to what could be wrong as in theory coming down in resolution should push the pixel closer to the edge.

sorry for waffling!

thanks in advance

Steve
Old Oct 22, 2004, 7:20 AM   #4

I think those questions are best put toyour supplier!

I know about hot pixels on LCD/EVF's ...but not on the output. I can not detect anything like this on my camera, yet :roll: (or any other Digicam, come to think of it .....have I been lucky?)

Would a spec of dust on the ccd cause such an output? Anyone?

If the dealersare willing to exchange and you are willing to take a chance on trying another, then all is well. If they give you the run around, I might be able to help you further if you are in the UK.

BFN KK
Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 8:34 AM   #5

Well an update!

i have contacted kyocera tech support and explained to them. they said well if im not happy send it back but yes it was likely to be a stuck pixel that was effecting the surrounding pixels. i asked them about advanced replacement and the guy told me to talk to sales about it. (i explained i bought the camera for my upcoming holiday)

anyway i phoned sales and spoke to a very helpful lady who basically said... send it back an i will guarantee that we will ship you a new camera back the following day. Now that (if it happens) is simply stunning customer service! (except they dont pay for shipping!)

i shall keep you posted.

by the way KK are we the only 2 kyocera users? :?
Old Oct 24, 2004, 2:32 PM   #6

Steve ....I'm not probing for any subversive reason but ........did it happen, and out of interest which country/continent are we talking about?

I reckon I can count about 10 other interested parties ....with at least 7 definite users on this forum!!

I wonder what the scale factor would be for Forum users to Worldwide users :-)

Cheers, KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 4:08 AM   #7

im sending the camera back today. so i will tell you if i get the camera back on wednesday. im in nottingham by the way. i gather you are uk based too.

i did take it to blackpool with me at the weekend at did some night shots (i'll just have to edit the pixel or 10 out!). At iso 800 it produced a few pretty good images on decent zoom figures and hand held too. i will post a few when i get chance.

i have found that kyocera seem to be pretty ignored yet i have found them to be very good. i suppose a few more manual features would pull a few more users in. but the s3 s4 s5 i thought were great little cams for the size.

i'll keep you posted

Thanks

Steve
Old Oct 28, 2004, 8:50 AM   #8

well it happenedi got a new one back.... took a photo with the lens cap on and 2 pixels show hot this time! great! they are no where near as bad as the really really hot bunch before so im going to see if its noticable on shots.... if its not i wont bother to send it back. if it gets any worse tho.... back it goes again... its just my luck! mind you from reading on forums its a common problem with lots of digital cameras so i am not alone!

steve