Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Oct 31, 2004, 6:57 AM   #11

How do you two do it? Nice smooooooth shots!

Yesterday, I had an opportunity of playing around with the ISO setting at a family "Baby's 1st Birthday Party" .......after I had taken all the shots demanded by all those Family Directors, of course! (they brought their own megaphones, clapper boards etc! But alas, no silver reflectors)

Here's one with little artistic merit ........ but it does serve a purpose .....as I hope you will see in the next post.

It's been resized down (for posting) with no other alterations, one small window light and a pretty gloomy afternoon. It's the close up in the nextpost that's supposed to be more interesting!

Details - 400iso f4 1/42 2272x1704 Fine and a reasonable amount of the 10x zoom used too.

Cheers, KK

p.s. how do you post two or more shots in one message?
Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:05 AM   #12

OK here is a 100% crop.

I'm intrigued with the difference in noise quantity and quality as you go from left to right across the face. You can see the noise jump back up on the background on the right.

It's not what I expected ....but you may know better!

Comments on the noise levels are welcome, especially comparisons with noise levels in the darker areasof the other photos posted taken at 400iso or above.

I suppose for hand-held, longish focal length, gloomy light, people who fidget .... etc ..... it's not too bad!

Cheers, KK
Attached Images

Old Nov 1, 2004, 5:11 AM   #13

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
400iso was used for the glass and i used 100iso for the other 2. Should have used a faster iso for the water to freeze it better. Cheapo tripod was used for the night shot

Steve for a handheld 800iso setting that pic has come out pretty well

Thanks TC3 i guess the continuous mode has its advantages as one shot out of 10 is bound not tho have any shake! now i have my ultraII card i should have a bit better luck!

those picture are stunning.... i really should get myself a tripod.... i just never have chance to stop and concentrate on a shot most of the while tho as i have a girlfriend that feels the cold! just out of interest do you use the timer when its on the tripod (proper newbie question :roll

i did have another bash at some night shots at a holloween party at the weekend. it did surprisingly well even on flash shots as it had nothing really to focus on. i'll see if i can get some posted.

im off to egypt in a couple of weeks so hopefully i can get some good shots then. i hope we can get a night trip for some impressive shots.

is it me or do other peoples shots always look better than your own?

kk..... i have noticed some images are pretty noisy... others arent i guess its theadvantage of living in the uk with its ultra sunny weather :?. i just use the noise remover in PSP 9 it seems to do the job although sometimes it does really mess the photo up. i have noticed over my s4 i need to do far less enhancement to the pictures.

thanks

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 2:30 PM   #14
TC3

You do need a tripod for night shots to get slow shutter speeds you need without camera shake but i never use a tripod for any of my other pics. Yep Steve i use the 2 sec self timer feature to avoid camera shake with slower shutter speeds.

KK do as steve says and use a noise removing programme if you feel the need but i have found that on printing out at high quality it is not as evident as on a pc screen

And no i never find that other peoples pics are better then mine

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 3:39 PM   #15

Did you notice the noise reducer in the shot?

It's in the baby's mouth :-)

What is the favourite NR software add-ons these days?

Cheers, KK
Old Nov 1, 2004, 7:13 PM   #16

well heres an interesting one for you all..... i have just checked out KK's shots at home (19" lcd) and they seem far more noisey than they did at work (22" CRT) Any ideas why? maybe thats why some of mine seem noisey maybe its just my monitor!

heres a shot on full auto... no flash hand held from the halloween party another lucky pot shot i guess :?bearing in mind it was pitch black other than the UV light so focussing must of been a problem!
Attached Images

5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:17 AM   #17
TC3

I have a samsung 19 inch LCD and yes noise looks worse then on a non LCD screen....like i said on print outs noise is not much an issue for me

I just use ACDsee for any editing as it has all i want or need

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote