Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Oct 28, 2004, 10:19 AM   #1

ok bit of a subjective question.... but..... what settings for exposure / focus / aperture do you guys generally use. as a newbie to all of this it would be helpful to have some pointers and some info as to what to expect from each setting.

i can change, and do depending on what the lighting is like, the iso so im fairly used to that. its things like spot focus, evaluation metering etc etc that im unsure of.

also is it easy to describe how to use the histogram effectively?

Sorry for the potentially huge subject

Steve

5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2004, 7:35 AM   #2

Naturally it depends on what you are shooting! But ....... typically ..........

EXT mode for lots of control. Single shot Drive, a hang-over from film :?.

100iso, 2272 x 1704, Quality=Fine for best quality.

Usually, Auto or"Cloud" WB, depending on result of the scene in the EVF ..... for example, I decide it to switch to "Cloud" yesterday as "Auto" WB seem not to register the deep autumn colours of a woodland scene .... without "Cloud" the colours were very under-saturated. "Cloud" seemed to restore the scene!

Spot AF focusing, I just like it!

Centre metering, seems to work well for my subjects.

AE mode=Aperture Priority, I like to control DOF. I also allows me toincrease the shutter speed by adjusting the aperture .... if the shots turn out wobbly!

I leave Chroma, Sharpness and Contrast on standard.

I use the Exposure compensation a fair amount on tricky subjects.

I prefer the EVF on start-up, so that I don't need to use my specs on the LCD :-).

In Set-up, I decided to use "2 second" preview ..... but turn it off for fast moving subjects like insects. Inthis case, I stop and review the shots every now and again using "Play", to make sure I'm not making a right mess .......errrm ........ sorry, getting the results I want!

I like Mode Lock = ON, to preserve most of the previous sessions settings.

Usually AF mode = SAF, but I must experiment with the CAF mode more!

Histogram ...... errm ......... Jeez, I'd love to have time to study the histogram while I'm shooting:?. A lovely esoteric feature for some, I suspect!

Cheers, KK

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 9:32 AM   #3

wow! thanks for that! appreciate the time you spend typing all of that.

"AE mode=Aperture Priority, I like to control DOF. I also allows me toincrease the shutter speed by adjusting the aperture .... if the shots turn out wobbly!"

can you expand on this? how do i adjust the shutter speed? also how does this affect the DOF? can you give an indication of what i have to do to get a shallower / greater DOF? (im assuming a greater depth of field means more things are in focus? correct me if im a mile off!)

again thanks for explaining this to a complete newbie!

steve
Old Oct 29, 2004, 2:31 PM   #4

No sweat! I'mnot sure if you are sucha newbie :lol:....you ask good questions and have add some good input to the forum ....that must lift you out of Newbie status!

OK ..... Aperture Priority first.

By using the < and > button on the "Joystick" to open or close the aperture you control the "Depth Of Field" AND because the metering is automatic ..... the shutter speed is adjusted by the camera to suit the light level.

For example .... take a scene with a camera computed setting of 1/125th second @ f5.6. If I decide to use the < button toopen up the aperture 2 stops to f2.8, the camera will automatically alter the shutter speed to 1/500th.

Vice-versa ...... if I decide to use the >button to close the aperture by 1 stop tof8 .... the camera will alter the shutter speed from 1/125 to 1/60th.

The reason for altering the aperture might EITHER be

1) to increase/decrease the DOF (as you correctly said the amount that appears to be in focus from the closest object to the furthest object.)

or

2) to change make the camera change the shutter speed to something appropriate for the shot! E.g. open up the aperture tospeed-up the shutter to stop camera shake oryour blurred speeding dog/cat/child/traffic warden, as they exit stage left.

Next..... and in a similar manner ....Shutter Priority.

You use < and > on the "Joystick" to decrease and increase the shutter speed to your desired value. As might be expected from the previous Aper. Pri. case, the camera will automatically alter the aperture to suit the scene as its meter measured it.

Traditionally, but not exclusively, people have used Shutter Priority for fast moving subjects, in order to ensure the shutter speeds were set high. In this case, DOF is usually of secondary importance .....i.e. you want to ensure something is sharp by having a high shutter speed, rather than control the DOF.

Hope this helps.

BFN, KK
Old Oct 29, 2004, 8:04 PM   #5

again wow! thanks... i really am a newbie but i am very technically minded, a fast learner and i do plenty of research before asking anything! :?

i will have a mess around with the various settings and try and understand how they affect things based on what you have said!

its great having a forum like this where you know you arent the only kyocera user in the world!

by the way as a demo of iso 800.... heres blackpool on a very gloomy night with ext mode.... iso 800..... continuous shot... (so i could get one shot without it being shaky) and spot focus full 10x zoom hand held from between the north and south peir! oh and a bit of digicam noise reduction in PSP 9 i certainly dont thing its bad! bearing in mind the noise reduction did very little!

again thanks kk

Steve
Attached Images

Old Oct 30, 2004, 7:34 AM   #6

Not bad eh!

I'll have a go at experimenting off 100iso for a change myself.

Cheers, KK
Old Oct 31, 2004, 2:21 AM   #7
TC3

my first night shot with the M410r
Attached Images

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 2:29 AM   #8
TC3

Stained glass in the Notredame, Paris. Shot is not cropped or enchanced
Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2004, 2:34 AM   #9
TC3

Tried to freeze water droplets but didnt notice i had cropped the fingers!
Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2004, 2:42 AM   #10
TC3

400iso was used for the glass and i used 100iso for the other 2. Should have used a faster iso for the water to freeze it better. Cheapo tripod was used for the night shot

Steve for a handheld 800iso setting that pic has come out pretty well