Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Nov 1, 2004, 5:51 AM   #1

when i do a cut and paste on the photo's stored on the camera (transferring via usb cable) it does a couple and then switches itself off. anyone else had this? if i copy and paste and then delete its fine. any ideas?

Thanks

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2004, 8:28 AM   #2
Administrator

Steve:

You sometimes see users corrupt memory cards when cutting and pasting (depending on how the USB drivers interface with the camera), but I havern't seen a camera switching itself off from it.

My guess is that your memory cards' FAT is corrupted (probably from using the PC to do the deletes). Or, the drivers are caching writes in such a way that the camera thinks the files are still in use at the time the Operating System tries to delete them with a cut and paste. I'd format it with your camera menus (not your PC)before using it.

As a general rule, I never write to the memory card using anything except for the camera. When you cut and paste (or copy and paste and then delete) with your PC, you are writing to the card (because a cut is a delete, and a delete is writing to the card).

Some drivers cache writes, and have been known to corrupt memory cards. I always simply copy the files, then format the memory card prior to each use in the camera. This insures that I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), and formatting the card with the camera is just as fast as deleting the images anyway.

Now, I have seen users that cut and paste and never run into a problem. However, it's simply not worth the risk to me (I've seen too many corrupted cards from users that delete with their PC). I would strongly recommend simply copying the files, then formatting the memory card prior to each use with your camera menus instead.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:37 AM   #3

thanks fo that Jim. i only asked because thats all i used to do with my little s4 never ever had a problem. and until i got my m410r i'd never even formatted a card! usb 1.1 may be slow but it sure as hell never goes wrong! i suppose it could be the usb driver too.... nvidia arent too well know for good system drivers. excellent graphics drivers tho.

i'll try formatting the card and try that. oh i have my new ultraII now so i will definitly try that. i'll keep you posted!

Thanks

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 7:47 PM   #4

Interesting. Probably not related to your problem but I've had something similar happened to me once - I copied (not cut and paste) files from the memory card in the camera via USB2 - if I copied more than maybe 10 files, the camera eventually shuts down, leaving an aborted transfer.

Before I did that, I had put the card in a memory card reader and it came up as all corrupted . I nearly messed meself, to put it politely, when I saw the corrupt files as they were of the Grand Canyon, and other nice places in Arizona. Luckily I was able to rescue the files via USB cable to the camera and copying them about 4 files at a time. The only thing unsual that time I used the camera was that the memory card was full and I deleted pictures on the cameraa lot until I was able to get to a computer.
stez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 3:08 PM   #5
TC3

Stez how was the trip to the States and were did you visit?
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:24 AM   #6

Well, I have the same problem. The camera switches off several times before everything is downloaded. I'm going to buy anoher, faster and bigger card and that will hopefully work fine...
dr.petr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 3:49 AM   #7
TC3

Just get a PQI card reader (or any other decent make) off e bay for a few quid and you wont need the camera to send pics to your pc.....i do not understand why anyone would want to use the usb cord as plugging it in and out will sooner or later cause wear and tear on the port!
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 5:09 PM   #8

Hey TC3 - see that you remembered about the US trip :-)

I've visited 25 states in all (12,000 miles solo roadtrip) - can't wait to go back again - someone else can drive the car whilst I take pictures next time ;-)

Visited California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Maryland, Pennslyvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massassuchetts, New Hamsphire, Maine, (New Brunswick, Canada), Vermont, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Utah.

I didn't take as many pictures as I'd liked to because I quickly filled up all my memory cards (one 512mb, two 256mb's) thinking there will be plenty of internet cafes with cd-writers.

I've taken some great photos :|, but I'm pushed for time working two jobs now before I go to France in a week or two, so I can't upload them at this moment.

Anyway, back to the topic - card readers are great- they save battery life (especially when you're on the move)!
stez is offline   Reply With Quote