Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:33 PM   #1

Anyone know when the U4R is going to go on sale in the U.S.?
It was supposed to be on sale in October but it seems that noone is selling it yet. It is available for preorder but I would like to have one before Christmas.
waxking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2004, 2:15 PM   #2

Of some small interest to USA cousins........ I'm told that the UK release is imminent, and that pre-production models are already doing the rounds of the mags and reviewers. I'm expecting a pre-prod one soon.

Cheers, KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:22 AM   #3

The Contax U4R is available for salein Singapore shops. Bought one last weekend for about SGD$700/-.

Hope you manage to get one before Christmas :-)
kenkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:23 PM   #4

It's here in the UK too.

Cheers, KK
Old Dec 14, 2004, 3:20 AM   #5

I just got an email notifying me from a vendor that they have the U4r available in the US. I was tired of waiting and found a deal on the Canon SD300 for $300 and bought it. Anyone know if the U4r is really much different than the SD300. The specs looked pretty close to me although the U4r may be just a bit faster shot to shot.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:02 AM   #6

See

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...;highlight=U4R

Cheers, KK
Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:41 PM   #7

How are you enjoying your new Canon SD-300? I too am considering it versus the Contax U4R. Due to my own ignorance, I would assume the Zeiss lens on the Contax would produce better photos, but in this size range, is the Canon just as good?
Liszt458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:24 AM   #8

I love the Canon SD-300. This thing is so small and quick. I'm coming off an Olympus 2020Z(3.2MP). I also have a Contax G1 I bought when they first came out that I still use for film. I like the quick start and Pic to Pic short delay. On the Olympus I missed a lot of shots because of the long delays between shots. I think the picture quality is similar to the 2020 but its about a tenth the size, at least it seems that way. I like the no lens cap to keep up with. This camera slides easily into the pocket and you hardly know its there. I also love the software package. You plug a USB cable to the computer and a blue light comes on the camera. You push the light(button) and the pictures transfer to a dated file under my pictures on the PC. The controls on the camera are probably the most user friendly I've seen. Its very intuitive, at least it was for me. I've only used the user manual to look up what the symbols mean. Very easy to use in manual mode. It is quick to change flash settings, timer, ISO, or just switch to auto. I tend to use the manual mode more(semi-manual). For an ultra compact I think it would be hard to beat at any price.