Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:06 AM   #1

Hi,

I wonderedif it matters if I recharge the camera battery before it's completely run down? I find it very convenient just to top it up when I know I'm going to use it the next day, regardeless of what is showing on the battery icon. I'm worried though that this may not be good for the battery..

Canna

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2004, 4:00 PM   #2

Six of one ....and half a dozen of another ....... Canna!

Apparently ....according to those that say they know:-)...... nearly flattening a Li-ion and charging it then or charging it frequently with a top up are both likely to shorten the life of the battery.

The recommendation seems to be to let it go to around 30% of full charge and then charge as normal. This seems to be the optimum in terms of number of cycles obtainable. It is important also that the charger knows that the battery is full and stops the charge. Only infrequent "topping up" is recommended, usually only after a prolonged period of storage.

BUT ... even those that report such things on www suggest that this is not an exact science..... and that the battery is likely to outlast the device, i.e.the camera/mobile phone/MP3 player etc., unless you subject it to gross neglect!. The reason is that these devices are being fashionably and technologically replaced faster than a Clark Kent/Superman costume change! And you are paying for all that built-indepreciation and obsolescence!

Why worry about the cost of the battery!:?

Hmm .... made me think anyway!:O

BFN KK

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:10 AM   #3

Kyrocera Kid,

Fantastically useful advice.

Thank you heaps.

ABW

Canna
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote