Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:18 PM   #1

Hi, everyone. I am new to this group. My m410r should arrive on Jan. 10, after a big snafu with the first supplier I ordered from. I have read all of your prior posts on this camera, and they have been helpful.

After a great deal of reading reviews, I chose this camera as my current biggest need is taking action photos of my kids -marching band, dance team. Thus, I needed the big zoom and fast shot-to-shot speed, with least freezing of the EVF during shooting. This cameraseemed to be the best in that regard.

1. In shooting pics at max zoom, will I need a monopod?

2. If so, any recommendatios about an inexpensive one, or at least brand names to use and avoid, and/or "must have" features in a monopod?

3. Any other recommendations for taking action shots at max or near max zoom (no flash will be used, as distances will be too far)?

Thanks. Stewart. Illinois, USA

Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:55 PM   #2

Hi Stewart,

Have you seen the shots that 5teve has postedon his zoo trip some are at full zoom hand heldand arevery good. Here's the link.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=11

If you plan on taking picturesin low light then I would use a tripod/monopod but in good light levels I don't think you will need to.

I haven't had my camera long so not really usedit yet but had a play about just to see the results of the different settings, so can't really help that much.

I use a VELBON tripodit is very sturdy andwasquite cheap for what you get, don't know if you can get those in USA though.

When taking the shots make sure your in a comfortable position with arms braced so you prevent as much camera shake as possible!

One thing to try is using the continuous mode just hold the shutter release down and follow the action. You don't have to fill the card but the camera will let you! Then review the shots and pick the one you like the best and delete the others. You should get at least one that fits the bill. Remember you need a fast shutter speed to freeze the action so you may have to increase the ISO if the light is low, this camera doesn't have any noise reduction inbuilt sonoise will be noticeable. How bad this noise is compared to other cameras I don't know haven't compared it, but the R_Tune technology is supposed to reduce the noise anyway.

Play with the camera extensivelyBEFORE using it for serious shots, you don't want to miss that perfect shot because you can't remember how to select or adjust something in the settings!

Hope this helps with my limited knowledge

Some of the other owners maybe able to advise you more.

Have fun!

Cheers Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:27 AM   #3

Hi stewart welcome to the forum!

I would agree with Ian get a tripod for low light shots! i dont have one yet and it causes me a headache sometimes! like Ian said too use the continuous shot for hand held 1 out of the several you take will be steady... i know its a bit of a cheat but it works!

check out http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=19where i posted an ISO800 hand held shot at full zoom and it was one out of about 5 shots. the above link has some fantastic shots by TC3 the night one is tripod mounted not sure about the others.

the zoo shots that ian mentioned were mostly full zoom and all were hand held some through glass. For once in the UK when i was taking the shots it was sunny!

this camera is very fast you focus on the shot you want... when that shot comes press the button all the way down and bang the shot is taken straight away. the focus is fast too in good light( you shouldnt struggle like us in the UK!), but as with all cameras in this range they do struggle a bit indoors and at night. i've been trying to experiment with mine but time is becoming quite precious at the moment so i havent had much chance!
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:56 AM   #4
TC3

Hi Stewart

Welcome to the land of the M410R

All i can say to you is as soon as you get the camera go out and try the different iso speeds and shutter priority mode. Also use the 2 sec self timer to avoid camera shake at slower speeds. Almost all pics i have taken with the zoom at th max end have been hand held with lil trouble. The link Steve gives above that shows my 3 pics i posted....only the night shot was tripod mounted.

Good luck and post some of your efforts when you can
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:35 AM   #5

Welcome Stewart.

Splendid advice from Ian, Steve and TC3 ..... what can I add?

I view the requirements for "long" FL shots on the M410R as being the same as for my Contax AX and Tamron 300/2.8. I would use a leaning post at a minimum (i.e coat/bag on top of wall, fence, lamp post etc) to brace the lens. More often than not, I carry my Manfrotto monopod and use it for nearly every shot, as the AX sits on there as I carry it around. I use the QR platethat comes withthe tilt headwhen I need to dismount the camera.

Since having the M410R, I find I'm using it just like the AX, so I bought a second QR plate for the QR head and it lives on the M410R (darn that socket being so close to the batt cover!).

It's got to help using a monopod ..... never heard anyone saya monopod hasdegraded a shot :-). Likewise, if I thought it worth the effort to carry around and set up my Benbo for a series of shots,I would do.

Apologies in advance if I've posted these before somewhere, but it's a reasonable example of full zoom on the M410R. Bare in mind it was breezy when I took this, and I had only had the camera 2 days .....it got me hooked ....... it was a review camera and I knew I was not going to give it back! A deal was struck!

Cheers, KK

Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:37 AM   #6

The above is a 33% resize ..... here is a100% extract.

Cheers, KK
Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:28 AM   #7

Thanks for all the help! Incredible pictures.
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote