Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Apr 3, 2005, 2:35 PM   #171
TC3

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
TC3 wrote:
Quote:
So to save us all having to make a new post anytime you just want to show a pic.....add them to this....i will start....
This make zero sense. So your idea is to create one huge thread of pictures, so people on dial-up can open it up & go mow their yard while they wait for all the images to load?

Whatever! Everyone makes zero sense at some point ...know what i mean?

I did not think far enough into the future thats all.

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 2:50 PM   #172

It doesn't matter to me how you all choose to post your images. But, over 90% of the world is still on dial-up...
Old Apr 3, 2005, 3:00 PM   #173

Don't just tell us what not to do . Suggest somthing constructive kalypso.

Bye G
gerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 3:20 PM   #174

Ok. Starting one thread about an image allows everyone to comment on the image (in that same thread). It will keep the thread on topic and make it easier to find the image again using the search function.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 6:30 PM   #175

.....and for a series of images closely connected to the same subject ....which others may wish to reply to with their own images.......... Kalypso ....your suggestion would be to .....?

Just asking so wecan try not to invoke any more negative comments, you understand!

(I do take your pointover rambling topics though!)

KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:24 AM   #176

Hi guys sorry for being soooo quiet i have been a little busy! decorating the house from top to bottom... fun! not! and went to the bike show 2005 yesterday...what a waste of time!

Anyway ... an idea.... can we ask the moderators for another subforum within k/y that we can add posts to onlycontaining 1 or 2 pictures? if we add pictures in the main forum it will become quite clogged. this way there are pictures only in there and all other discusion resides outside of it.

It may be something else they want to look at perhaps in say the panasonic forum? there seems to be a few picture posts in there.

Whats your thoughts on that idea guys?

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 4:26 AM   #177

Hi Steve

I think its up to whoever runs the forum to if possible limit each page to two or three pics.That way it wont matter how long a tread is.If a person wants to download a particular page it will only be two or three pics at a time.If there is only text on a page it should remain as it is.

If we are posting pics on aparticular subject its good to open a new thread. Otherwise a thread like this is also good for any one who wants to check out pics of a particlar camera- that camera only. So that prospective buyers may check for themseleves pictures taken from actual users of that camera and not just reviewers photos and opinion.

I also noted the fact you mentioned about the panasonic forum.

B ye

g
gerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:13 AM   #178

Hi G

yes i did mention the panasonic forum due to the fact that like us they share their pictures with fellow users and so people can easily find what the camera is capable of.

By having a sub forum i thought it would be easier to have 1 picture threads without having the main forum messed up with hundreds of threads. it is easier to find than using the picture forums (wildlife etc) and is brand specific. Tidier all round i thought?

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 3:15 PM   #179

gerrard wrote:
Quote:
Hi Steve

I think its up to whoever runs the forum to if possible limit each page to two or three pics. That way it wont matter how long a tread is. If a person wants to download a particular page it will only be two or three pics at a time. If there is only text on a page it should remain as it is.

If we are posting pics on aparticular subject its good to open a new thread. Otherwise a thread like this is also good for any one who wants to check out pics of a particlar camera- that camera only. So that prospective buyers may check for themseleves pictures taken from actual users of that camera and not just reviewers photos and opinion.

I also noted the fact you mentioned about the panasonic forum.
Bye
g
Personally, I don't have the time (or desire) to monitor each thread, in every forum, &/or limit the images per page. (How do I know how long this thread will last? What if somebody is waiting for the thread to jump to the 2nd page, but it never does). And I know Steve doesn't want to create any more forums (if it can be helped). I think it's up to each user group to decide together how they want to govern their image postings...take a poll!

I'll toss out a few thoughts & you can use them or ignore them...it won't hurt my feelings either way

We already have seperate forums set up for posting images. People opening threads there already know what to expect. If you wanted to post an image in one of those forums, you can always link back to it in a post here.

Also, new people coming to this forum for information may be quite suprised when they open a thread that has 8 large images on the first page. Again, more than 90% of the world is on dial-up...the sub-title area might be a good place to place a "56K Warning" or "Pictures Within" message.

The person starting a thread with an image is ususally doing so to get feedback on the image. Unless it is for illustrative purposes, someone posting their own image in the same thread might take the thread in a whole different direction (thus hijacking the thread).

If you all decide you want to set guidelines on the number of images per page, also consider guidelines on the actual image sizes (480 pixels on the longest side). That alone would speed up page loading and might eliminate trying limit the number of pics per page.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 6:12 PM   #180

Hi Kalypso et al ..... a few thoughts of my own .... I too will take no offense if they are ignored!

I guess we haven't found a need to limit the size of images or number of images per page (up to now) because no one has mentioned it (up to now!). Maybe, naively, we have assumed that Steve set a 1/4Meg limit because he thought that 1/4Meg was OK?

I, and (I assume) many other K/Y forum "regulars",have viewed many a thread in other subforums (within Steves Forums) that have multiple large pictures in them on the first and subsequent pages, extending to many pages. I won't embarrass any individuals by mentioning names ....but some of these extended topics seem amazingly popular and sponsored by veryrevered regular contributors. In none of these extended threads have I ever seen any mention of problems caused ....... until now! We may have been lulled into a false-sense of security because we have seen so many examples elsewhere of what we have done here.

Again, naively, maybe the regular users of the K/Y subforum have assumed that they have all found it no problem to view threads with multiple images ...... otherwise we wouldn't see their/our contributions made so regularly! I guess we could be accused of some form of elitism by accidentally excluding the 56k modem user who views us once ....and never comes back! It is not intentional and no one has ever said anything in any of the multitude of topics in the K/Y subforum.

Also, while I agree that if we start a new thread knowing it is likely to contain a few large images, we could use the sub-title area to put a warning, .... this, of course,would not eliminate the problem. For example, we may start off a new thread with no intention to post a image .... andas such post no warning....but others might post images to the thread ....and the thread initiator would have no control over that ....back to square one again!

I don't know how the other regular users of K/Y subforum feel ....but I don't relish the thought of having to link backwards and forwards to other subforums to do some of the comparisons we've posted ...in say .... the various macro threads. And I don't know how the viewers of those "Picture" subforums would feel about a series of ....say ....macro comparison shots with a M410R..... suddenly appearing, without any explanation for why someone might be shooting a relatively non-picturesque steel ruler. Would we not end up having to creating its own sub-subthread by having to put an explanation to why it is where it is and what it is? It almost smacks of shoveling the problem somewhere else! What do others think?

I emphasise my reluctance by referring back to a question I asked earlier ..... ".....and for a series of images closely connected to the same subject ....which others may wish to reply to with their own images.......... Kalypso ....your suggestion would be to .....?" ..... I would not be keen to have to "page" across several threads all on the same topic, in order to see the whole content of the topic!

Maybe we should do a poll ...as Kalypso suggested .....i.e. is the problem within the K/Y subforum real or imaginary!

Or maybe I'm just confused and have mis-understood some of Kalypso's comments?

It might also help us decide our strategy if we knew what determines when a page ends and a new one begins.

Cheers, KK

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote