Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:16 AM   #11

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
Great....now go downsize em a bit

doh! i did they are 240kb and 180kb..... i guess you mean downsize theresolution tho dont you sorry about that.

what size do you guys try and go for? around the 800x600? (or whatever the ratio works out to?)

Ta

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:30 AM   #12
TC3

Bee patient :-)
Attached Images

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:13 PM   #13

Hmmmmm .... I wonder if the topic might get a little slow to load eventually :?

I go for around 750 pix wide .... looks ok in this forum's format with a screen res of 1024 x 768 without having to pan left-right. Medium setting on jpeg.

I'll leaf you with this one now ...... BFN KK
Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:48 AM   #14

Good morning!
Attached Images

gerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:56 PM   #15

A view of a church from my homeat near darkness. Pic is croped and reduced to approx 35%
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:29 PM   #16

OK, here is one from rookie boy and his "possibly demo/used, supposed to be new, but otherwise seems to be working fine" 410. I was experimenting with the focus lock, with the point of focus on the image in the mirror. I then shifted the field of view to the right, showing the poster. However, the poster seemed to end up in focus instead of the mirror image. I later read spot focus should be used when doing the focus lock, and I was used the wide setting.

I ran the pic thru Photoshop, using the Auto Levels adjustement. I then reduced it way down for posting here. Let's see if it works.

Question: it seems the poster is too light, and the my daughter too dark. What could I have done differently?

Stewart

Attached Images

Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:25 PM   #17

Try again usind ext mode with spot focusing and spot metering Stewart.

Bye
Old Jan 18, 2005, 7:11 AM   #18

Thanks, that makes sense now that you say it. I've just read so much it is hard for a novice to put all the different functions together just yet.
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 7:59 AM   #19

Hi Stewart

If you think the poster is too light and your daughter too dark, I'm afraid spot (or any other metering :rollis unlikely to solve the problem!

Think of it this way, if you get a different reading from a different metering method ... all it's going to do is either ....increase the exposure .... so your poster will be even more "lighter" than you would like, but your daughterwill be "correctly exposed" ..... or decrease the exposure .... in which case your daughter will be even more under exposed but you will have a nice poster!

Lighting would be the better solution, if a tricky one at that, in this case!

Also, if I read the Adobe Help pages correctly, "Auto levels adjust" might expand the range of darkest and lightest tones in the original image, actually amplifying the problem you described above, i.e. make the darker tones darker and lighter tones lighter. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong ... if I am!

Selective lightening of parts of the image is another way to go. Others will have their own thoughts and solutions on this one.

Having mumbled all that, I actually likethe imageas it is!

Cheers, KK

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 9:18 AM   #20

I think youare right KK. Advanced users of photo editing software can probably correct the lightness of such a photo.

Bye