Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:07 PM   #191

Thank you 5teve I truly appreciate your comments and it makes me feel better about my purchase to hear all current owners bragging constantly. I hope I will be able to do the same.

I look forward to more pic posts...keep up the good work.

Elizabeth

P.S. my camera comes UPS 7/11/05.

Star2Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 3:26 PM   #192
TC3

Hi Elizabeth

Welcome to the forum

I am sure you will be happy with the camera. My advice is to order a book from Amazon that you can easily refer to so that you can gain an understanding of the works of a digital camera. Have a look on Amazon and you will see what people have to say about various books which helps when choosing one

They camera is good for the money but no camera is great at everything ...especially in this price range so you just tend to live with any short comings. I am off to Italy in a week and hope to have sone decent photos to post.

Have fun

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 5:14 PM   #193
mmj

Hi

I have just finised a trip to Disneyland Paris with my family. What do you think about a show off peacock.

Morten
Attached Images

mmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:25 PM   #194
mmj

Hi again

We also "ran" into this scary guy at the entrance to Phantom Manor, which is a kind of ghost house.

Morten
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:05 AM   #195

Hi Morten ...nice to hear from you.

I really like the scary portrait ..... excellent composition!

The peacock is a very well captured too. I would try experimenting with a rectangular select to see if there is any advantage in cropping out the background near the top.

Interesting that you seem to have chosen a very "square" crop already for the two photos ......is that how you prefer them?

Cheers, KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:44 PM   #196
mmj

Hi KK

No I prefer rectangular photoes, but in both of the shown photos therewere some interrupting elements which Icropped out.

I have tried to crop out the top of the peacock photo as you suggested, it is much better.

Cheers, Morten

Attached Images

Old Jul 26, 2005, 3:04 PM   #197

Morten, my friend ...I took the liberty to play with your original shot and produced this image ....... I hope you do not mind the impertinence!

Do say if you think I have gone "over the top" with my efforts! The credit should still go to you as the photographer :-). I am just the Adobe PS jockey!

Cheers, KK
Attached Images

Old Jul 26, 2005, 3:39 PM   #198
mmj

Hi KK

No No the colours get even better after you have adjusted it.

What have you done with it, I am a newbe in adobePS, so all tips and tricks:idea: is a gift.

cheers Morten
Old Jul 26, 2005, 4:30 PM   #199

First and foremost I made a symmetrical selection by measuring the number of pixels from the approximate centre of the peacocks body to the right hand edge (shorter edge of the two) ...it came out to approx 300 pixels ...... I then doubled that to provide symmetry about the peacocks body .....600 pixels. I made a mental note of the relative position in pixels of the centre line of the peacocks body and subtracted 300.

This gave me my starting point near the bottom left of the shot. I then decided to see if leaving out the peacock's legs was an improvement .... I thought it was!

So from this fixed point (bottom, left), I made my 600 wide rectangular selection ....the only missing factor now .....was shall I go for a conventional 3:2 or even 4:3 aspect .... or something different. The 600 x 400 (3:2) looked good and cropped out most of the top distracting features.

Onto the colour. Let me state upfront that I am a mere dabbler in PS ...not a real expert!

I have had good feelings about PS's Auto Levels (in "Image/adjust")in the past ....so tried that first. To me it appeared to add a warmth that did not suit the colours ...so I undid it and tried Auto Contrast ....ah! much better.

Another of my favourite tweaks ...is Hue/Saturation/Lightness (HSL)in Paint Shop Pro 6 (PSP6) ... so over to PSP6 and you'll find HSL in Colors/Adjust. A Hue of +1 enhanced the blues .... a Saturation of +33 did what it sounds like (!) and Lightness of - 15 seemed to lift the shot.

Finally in PSP6 .... a tad of USM (rad=1 Stren=75%) did the trick!

Of course others may prefer their own values and tweaks ....that was a very quick fix .... far shorter to do it than it took to document itfor you!

There is probably the equivalent of HSL in Adobe PS....but there being a little bit of a Luddite in me ...I stick to what I know ..... frequently!

Glad you liked it ........ Cheers, KK
Old Jul 26, 2005, 4:33 PM   #200

Oops ..... forgot ....... a "Real" expert would probably not have made a selection through any of the eye-spots ....if it were possible ..... I don't think they like "half" elements on the edges of the shots ......... but as I said ....it was a quick effort!

Cheers, KK.