Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:01 AM   #31

A brand new airbus .

How do youget so much resolution on your posted pics while mine are evev larger in size dut do not have any resolution at all? I am using acdsee to resize to approx 25% to get a file size of less than 250k.

Attached Images

gerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:14 AM   #32

Cracker, Gerrard ..... love the sky, reflectionsand lighting in general.

Cheers, KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 8:24 AM   #33

Sorry Gerrard ..... so busy looking at your shot ....forgot to read the text!

Here are some pointers ....I hope you don't already know this ....otherwise it's ZZZZZZZZ time!

I use PSP to resize my standard W2272 x H1704 shots to about 700 pixelsin width. i.e. resize by around 33%. If it's a portrait shot, W1704 x H2272, I resize by around 40% to give me the 700 pixel width. I selfishly choose around 700 width as I run on 1024 x 768 on the monitor. This fits the shot nicely in this forums format, on my screen! Those who run on 800 x 600 will need to pan left-right to view the wholeimage. :-)

If I think it needs it, I'll apply a little USM to compensate for the resizing processtaking the edge off the shot. I save the resized/renamed file with a moderate amount of compression as a jpg, factor 10 (mild in PSP), this gives me around 200KB file. If I have more time on my hands than I ought to have, I'll tweak all these figures to maximize the screen width, and keep the file size as close to, but not exceeding 250KB, for example byaltering the compression factor and watch the file size creep up and down!

If for some reason you want to exceed the 700 width, to show a larger image in the forum, you can do. Here's how ... say you wanted a 75% image resize .... around 1700 x 1300 ..... you can increase the compression factor to lower the file size until it gets down to 250KB. There is a trade off though .... more compression means more unwanted artifacts and probable loss of apparent "resolution".

Cropping to show parts of an image at 100% to illustrate some point or feature of a shot is even easier, if you keep your selection under 700 pixels wide, and not excessive in height (maybe upto 1000 for a portrait selection) jpg'ing it with mild compression will keep it under the 250KB mark.

Armed with this, why not have a go at re-doing a shot you've already posted .... let's see if you think it's better than the original posting ....I'm sure members will not mind seeing a second version of a shot to compare for themselves.

Above all, have fun!

(Hey you experts out there...... before you go chucking bricks at me ..... I know this is a very simple explanation and there is a lot more to this than has been said. This is just my short version(!), and just onekid's wayof doing it....:P)

Cheers KK
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:52 AM   #34

She's such a poser!

Attached Images

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 1:23 PM   #35
TC3

She is...but does she have eyes like this...
Attached Images

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 5:42 PM   #36

Ah! But do they have eyes like this ........ and this and this and this! No Cuddly Bunny Syndrome here!

(Contax AX + CZ50/1.4 + Teleplus 2x Macro on Agfa CTP100 scanned by Nikon LS20 @2700)

And ....the answer is No!...... It wasn't dead .... they were still attached to a living insect, in the field, flew in minutes earlier, and off again when I got toooooo close!

Cheers, KK
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2005, 6:39 PM   #37
TC3

Such beautiful eyes.....:-)
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:52 AM   #38

Thanks KK for your help. I just went for saving by KB size in photodeluxe ond I think I got much better results. Here's the aircraft photo again.
Attached Images

gerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:58 AM   #39

Cocker Spaniel - "Ellie"
Attached Images

StevePn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 7:22 AM   #40

Just playing with macro mode. I don't think it's too bad for a first go. Theflowers were standing in the window sill not a particular sunny day, a little bit of brightness coming through window.I've never really got anywhere with it before I've put down the settings info so any comments welcome, You may make a photographer out of me yet!!!

ISO 200, 1/700s, F2.8, Focal Length 5.7mm, Aperture Priority, Spot AF, Spot metering, Auto White Balance, Ext mode, no flash. macro selected.
Attached Images

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote