Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:36 AM   #31
TC3

Ah Steve

Nice to hear from you again....i knew that comment might drag you out of the woodworm.....

Anyway....glad things are moving for the move but it was never gonna be easy was it so good luck with the rest of the application.

Sorry an no electronics wiz but was curious what the problem was anyway. Hard to find time to decorate , bike build and work and it will be good to see some pics of what yer push bike ends up like

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:15 AM   #32

hi there.

im need a dim up circuit for my bike lights.... im over volting the bulbs (7.2v vs 6v) and apparently this kills them quite well. the thing that really kills them it the thermal shock and initial jolt of voltage so if i had a small very simple circuit that ramped the voltage up to 7.2v over say 1/2 a second then this would stop them blowing quite so quickly!

i'll try and gets some pics done shortly ... its pretty much finished im just trying to sort the battery etc out as carrying a big lead acid around isnt much fun!

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:23 AM   #33
TC3

Ahhh yes ...well good luck with building the circuit....maybe someone in Maplin might have the answer? No luck searching on line i suppose?

Tony
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:45 AM   #34

Hi steve

If you dont need more thjan 6v on the bulbs you can put some high current diodes in series to the lamps .This will drop the supply 1.2V .

Regards

Gerrard
gerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:50 AM   #35

Gerrard .... I think Steve wants to overdrive them! ....to get whiter and more efficient light output....he just wants it to start up slower to reduce the thermal shock!

KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:57 AM   #36

Hi kk

I'm a bit rusty about eletronics but to help Steve with that one I have to take a look at some old electronics books I studied years ago.

If Ihaveany ideas which I am shure thier is I will post.

Bye

g
gerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:21 AM   #37

Steve ..... how about a PWM circuit set to come on at low setting? It should be possible to have the m/s ratio increase automatically, or just turn the pot up manually.

What about the Willie Hunt approach? Or you could learn PIC programming !

Good Luck! I think I'll mash around my SLA +20W12deg and 10W18deg(masked, for traffic) around for a while longer yet!

Cheers, KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:23 AM   #38
TC3

:-?

:-):-):-)
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:55 AM   #39

Hi guys thanks for that.

i am overdriving them a tad.... i have a free (ahem!) source of 4ah batteries already assembled in packs of 7.2v.... and they arent much longer than a rc car sub c pack. and smaller in diameter too. I have looked at the willie hunt and lightbrain circuits but they are far too complex for what i want. i just need a little micro circuit that i can fit in the light unit. i have had suggested a fet ramped up with a cap (and a resistor somewhere in there!) but i need the cap to be able to discharge pretty quickly. for when i change beams over.

KK the reason i have had to stop using the SLA is that i have nowhere to mount it as it is a frame bag mount one. not the sort of thing i want to be using on a £600 frame really plus the rear brake cable runs along the top tube. the other thing is that it is an oval top tube but oval in the flat rather than the usual vertically orientated. i'll see if i can get some pics this evening, when i am trying to get the lights connected. the main advantage i get is that the pack weights half of the weight of the SLA and i can mount it with bottle cage fixings. i can also connect 2 up and it gives me an 8 AH pack with about 4 hours run time. oh i can charge them in an hour too! :G

Anyway does that help some more :?

Steve
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:39 PM   #40

sorry guys your going to have to wait for that piccy..... not had time late back from work and pc's to build now! no rest for the wicked!:evil:

try and post tomorrow!

Steve