Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:26 AM   #1

Hi there again

i have just had 200 prints rattled off from boots (girlfriend works for them so we get a 22 1/2 % discount ) however the prints seem to on some have come out really dark with the bluey greens being what i can best describe as muddy. having spoken to boots.... the first comment was... well it must be your camera.... obviously i argued that point.... saying my screen and pc was set up correctly so it must be their printer.

i have my monitor running in srgb colour profile (actually stored in the monitor) i havent fannied around with any of the other colour settings and the pictures lookgood on screen.

has anyone used boots for processing and had the same problem from an M410r?

can anyone suggest a decent colour / screen calibration program (preferably freeware) just incase my system is out of whack... which i doubt it is by that much.

Ian if you read this..... did those prints of mine you printed off seem excessively dark compared to the screen image? i'll have a look when i get home to see myself.

Thanks in advance as usual!

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:21 PM   #2

HI Steve, I haven't printed that much pics but the few I have came out as good or in some cases even better than than viewed on the comp moniter. Shurly theirshould not be that much differance. If thay are good on an average monitoryou should get good prints.

If you have amodernvery good quality TFT screen it might be that yourprints might not beas good when compared. I got a very goodprint from the pic below.

If you post an example maybe I can compareto picsI have taken and printed.

Bye

Attached Images

gerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:15 AM   #3

5teve wrote:
Quote:
Hi there again

i have just had 200 prints rattled off from boots (girlfriend works for them so we get a 22 1/2 % discount ) however the prints seem to on some have come out really dark with the bluey greens being what i can best describe as muddy. having spoken to boots.... the first comment was... well it must be your camera.... obviously i argued that point.... saying my screen and pc was set up correctly so it must be their printer.

i have my monitor running in srgb colour profile (actually stored in the monitor) i havent fannied around with any of the other colour settings and the pictures lookgood on screen.

has anyone used boots for processing and had the same problem from an M410r?

can anyone suggest a decent colour / screen calibration program (preferably freeware) just incase my system is out of whack... which i doubt it is by that much.

Ian if you read this..... did those prints of mine you printed off seem excessively dark compared to the screen image? i'll have a look when i get home to see myself.

Thanks in advance as usual!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Which prints?

I have only printed off the penguin and you have that, but on my screen they all look okay which would you like me to print out?

If you need to send me a particular photo they have printed that looks really muddy, then E-mail it and I will print one off and send it you again, if it comes out okay. you should then be able to slap Boots about and show them a good print!!

Send me your address again as I've lost the 'bit of paper' I wrote it on!

How dare they ' its the camera'

I used to work at Boots in Beeston, thats where I did my apprenticeship!!

So they can have a good slap anyway!

Cheers Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:26 PM   #4

thanks ian will email it you on the new mail addy, i appreciate it.... there must be a way i can return the favour?

funnilly enough my girlfriend works at head office in beeston in planning.

the colours are well screwy on the boots prints, especially greens and blues... its as tho the machine adds a bit of mud in with it.

Thanks again will email shortly

Steve

Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:40 PM   #5
TC3

It must be Boots who have cocked up and once you have the evidence i suggest you go kick some ass
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:41 PM   #6

5teve wrote:
Quote:
thanks ian will email it you on the new mail addy, i appreciate it.... there must be a way i can return the favour?

funnilly enough my girlfriend works at head office in beeston in planning.

the colours are well screwy on the boots prints, especially greens and blues... its as tho the machine adds a bit of mud in with it.

Thanks again will email shortly

Steve

Just to say I have printed off the partly submerged boat and it looks identical to the picture on my monitor, maybe onthe monitor a little brighter.a 15" tft HP pavilion f50s. The sea doesn't look at all very dark like a black-blue as you described in your E-mail.

Have no idea what the colour set up is, I can see whats on the screen and thats enough for me!

I have read somewhere that most cameras do produce correct colours but as we see them on the monitor first we normally adjust the colour to suit the monitor. When in fact it doesn't really need adjusting.

Just for information don't know how true it is. I don't normally adjust my photosfor colour anyway. What I should do is print one out direct from memory card on printer and then same one going through PC and elements 2, see if there's a difference.

Head office, I only went in there once, us engineeringrif-raf couldn't go in there! before directors building was built!

I worked in D95,D10,D80-82, D1 and D14 Blowmoulding!

Left there 5 Years ago travel the country as service engineer now.

Cheers Ian

I have printed this off then scanned it back in to the PC so you can quickly see if there is a major difference.

Will put them inthe post tomorrow, and yepI know I should of reduced the size I thought I had!:?Have now all better!

Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:37 PM   #7

well from what you have scanned in it isnt much different.... its a little darker but nothing like the mish mash that boots got!

i have my 19" relysis TFT set up in sRGB colour space my printer running in sRGB colour space and the camera runs that also so everything should be pretty much as it appears on screen, i have even set PSP to be running with the colour profiles for everything. im pretty certain what i see is what should be. plus on top of that i have reviewed them at work and although they look better (22" CRT vs 19"tft crt always wins for picture smoothness) the colour rendition is the same.

off topic... your an engineering riff raff too are you? great isnt it.... respected the world out... except the UK! im a design engineer... but like to get my hands dirty too :-)... we really dont get any respect at all over here! never mind eh pays the bills and buys us a kyocera!

thanks for your time ian... if i remember next week i'll scan the boots copy of that photo in and you can see the difference

Steve
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:47 PM   #8

And here's the second one I've just printed these off straight from downloading them, then scanned the print back in, have no idea what the scan resolution is or any of the colour settings. Seem to look okay to me better or worse than Boots?

When I compare the print to this, by holding it up to the screen next to this, the print is muchdarker, but you can make out all the shades though,Don't knowif this is acceptable will post everything as I've said. I could make the shot lighter just by choosing 1 of the 9 prints in the software that comes with the Hi-Touch. I also have no idea what any of the colour profiles are on anything so this could be why the print is much darker than the screen.

Cheers Ian
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:48 PM   #9

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
It must be Boots who have cocked up and once you have the evidence i suggest you go kick some bottom
boots claim they cant do anything to alter the colour... unless the bloke has been there that knows how to adjust it! they also say its calibrated every morning for colour..... god knows what state that calibration is in.... i'd hate to use a vernier that has been calibrated using a machine that far out!

as soon as i get those prints from ian (who is an absolute star.... all i did was recommend a camera ) i'll be down there demanding full 200 reprint job!

just out of interest fuji crystal archive paper is regarded as quite a good paper isnt it? i know i only pay 7.75p per print ... but i expect them to be as good as i would try and get them!

bottom will be kicked!

i have to say this kyocera forum is now getting much better! more participation and no bitching like in Dpreview forums and some of the other i have seen! we know what the camera can do.... we know its limitations (but who cares for the price!) and i know that our pictures are as good if not better than other manufacturers! by the way another rare review can be found here if you havent already seen it

http://www.dcmag.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/480/v/1/sp/

Thanks

steve
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:50 AM   #10
TC3

Yep the camera is excellent for what we pay for it and like you say we know it's limitations. That review gives 4 stars out of 5.....nice to see reviews like that about your choice of camera

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote