Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:25 PM   #1

Hi to all,

I'm new in this forum and hope to get some help.

I recently bought a Contax U4R. I'm quite happy with it except for the fact that the camera's battery can only be charged via the cradel which is quite bulky when travelling (which I do a lot). Does anyone know if there is a USB cable i could buy? I could actually make one myself but I don't know what type of connector is used. I know its similar in shape to what HP uses on their PDA's except that it has only 20 pins instead of 22.
zerimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:54 PM   #2

This is the second mention of the "Too bulky" cradle I've seen.

Here in the UK, the Contax Account Manager from KYUK found me a separate "Wall-wart" plug-in charger for 3/4/5x series Finecam batteries, universal mains supply. I wonder if there is an equivalent for the U4R? I'll ask him.

Wouldn't the current draw be a little on the high side for USB and the voltage be too high?

Cheers, KK

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 7:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Wouldn't the current draw be a little on the high side for USB and the voltage be too high?
i have been worrying about my fast charger as posted in another thread... apparently that can use usb to charge 4aa cells! not on my pc it cant!

usb can provide 500ma maximum but i cant remember what the voltage is.... it might be 5v??

theoretically it could charge a battery 'if' you could control the input current... the finecam s4 charger outputs 5v at 1700ma apparently (so why did a 800mah battery take 6 or 7 hours to charge ... that maths dont make sense!) in theroy a usb @[email protected] could charge the s4 battery in less than 2 hours. (for a 800ma battery)

i dont know if this helps or messes things up :?
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:39 AM   #4

Quick response from KYUK

Fameart hope to have a suitableadapter for the Universal Batt Charger (Uniross)quite soon. Is this better than carrying around theKyocera base cradle?

Have a look yourself. I guess if you had two batteries ... you could have one on charge back at home/hotel/car and one in use in the camera .....does not tie the camera up as a charger!

http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/uniros...r-vc101719.htm

(note: above doesNOT yet include an adapter for U4R battery)

Hope this helps, KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 8:54 AM   #5

Thanks guys for the quick response.

I don't know why Kyocera/Contax didn't include an adaptor like in most PDA's so that one could just plug the unit direct to the AC adaptor.

The Universal Charger seems quite ok though the power adaptor looks a bit bulky too. The U4R has a BP-1100S battery which is not listed. The battery looks very similar to the BP-780S used in the SL?00R series but does not have the protruding tabs.
zerimar is offline   Reply With Quote