Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jan 24, 2005, 2:08 AM   #1

I have just got a Contax SL300RT and have been playing with it......BUT, I cannot find any manual focus distance settings?? I only have a Japanese manual so am a bit lost and certainly can't find it on the camera which sucks in low light situations. Anyone able to help.

Also, I have the Contax 5 Meg and just as an FYI, even though the battery chargers are identical, do not mix them up as I did when you go away, as one does not work so well on the other!!

Many thanks

KB:?
Kiwiboyohboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:16 PM   #2

Ifthe SL300RT*had a manual focus distance setting .... what would you do with it? :-)

For low light ....... try taking your finger from over the flash!:flame:

Sorry ... others here are used to my warped humour.

KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:37 PM   #3

HhHHmmmm - somewhat less that helpful, but humour never goes astray!

The issue, my friend, is that in low light I cannot get a focus setting so the images are often blurred. Even for portraits. So, manual focus, is the 'normal' solution.

Based on your wealthy of knowledge, perhaps you can let me know if there is a manual focus function on the camera (given that my manual is in Japanese).

Any help is good help right now before I toss this camera!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:35 PM   #4

Sorry .... my humour is an acquired tasteto some (most?)! Now that I know what you are up to, I shall now try to be more constructive!

The camera does havea limited, but usefulmanual focus setting,but like many other P+S Digicams, low light focusing in AF is one of it's weak points. In fact several clever camera owners, not necessarily SL300RT owners have rigged up all sorts of LED focusing aids for they many feature lacking cameras. A Google will reveal some interesting articles.

Back to MF ..... In many shooting modes you can use the menu option to find .... Set Details/Focusing/MF ....enter the MFoptionand then switch off Menu.Seepage below.Use the < & > button to set your preferred distance.

I usually find I can get away with AF. I try to focus on "edges", focus lock and then re-compose. E.g. even in low lit rooms there is often somewhere where the background is light enough behind a subjects face to use the contrasting edge of their head to focus on. Re-compose when focus is confirmed ... or you get a nice shot of their ear! :-)

See ... I'm a good guy really.

Fire away with more questions or specific requests for items out of the manual ...I'll see what I can do!

Sayonara, my friend, KK.

Attached Images

Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:37 PM   #5

Domo arigato gozaimasu!!

That's perfect.... found it. Will try your advice on the autofocus tips, and resort to manual if that does not work. Just hope my subject matter will be patient!!

Is it a common 'complaint' or issue that the battery life is short on this camera? I bought a spare battery to ensure I have a back up (but put it in my pocket and then went swimming with it). And I can laugh about it..... as I am just happy it was not my camera!

Everyone that sees this camera thinks it rocks by the way!

:|
Old Jan 27, 2005, 6:30 PM   #6

You're welcome!

I guess that any small digital camera with such a small battery will invite criticisms of short battery life.

In it's class, itsbattery consumption is not particularly noted for either its longevity nor for being short-lived.

The Kyocera Yashica UK Account Manager repeated stresses to new buyers of ANY camera with a Lithium rechargeable battery that it takes a while for the battery to reach it's full potential, from new. It may take 5 or so full discharge/recharge cycles before an increase in capacity up to its maximum is noticed.

I too have a spare battery .... but I'm not overly concerned about the battery life.

Did you know you can use a Contax P8 battery pack with ...say 4 x 2400 mAH NiMH in, to power the SL300RT*? The Digiscope Bird people use them for extended sessions.

I agree ..... most are impressed ....and that's before they see the results in print!

Cheers, KK.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:12 PM   #7

You should be able to download an english language manual in PDF form from the US or UK web site.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:02 AM   #8

Kyocera Kid wrote:
Quote:
OK, so now, my final quetion......
Quote:
When I plug the camera in to charge it, the red light flashes after about a minute, and the battery does not take any charging. I thought I had mixed up my chargers between the Contax TV and this one, but they both do the same thing. So I am now thinking there is a fault in the camera.
Quote:
If I turn the camera on for a bit when it is charging and switch it off, then the red light stays on and seems to charge. Something sounds odd (apart from me)?? Does this sound like the camera is faulty and should be taken back?
Old Jan 31, 2005, 5:02 AM   #9

Strange quote in last message ..... KK didn't write any of that ........ but I think people can see that!

Kiwiboyohboy ....... that charging problem does sound very odd. My SL300RT* has never shown this.

Why not phone or visit the dealer and explain the problem. They could try a different SL300RT* to see if it does the same.

Cheers, KK