Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:20 PM   #51
TC3

Ihave e mailed afew of places both here and in the USA and will wait a few weeks before i decide where to get the case from.

29 quid is abit steep for me right now as i need to get a new motorcycle helmet andso i am gonna try and get a better price but it is good to know Bristol Cameras have them

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:58 PM   #52

Hi
See my post with pic:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=19

Steve
StevePn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:28 PM   #53

Hold it, Boys .... Hold it! Kyocera Kid is on the case .....Damn!, I love puns! :-)

1) An email has been sent to my contact at KYUK to clarify the situation...... it is the weekend though. But he is efficient!

2) Watch out ......as mentioned before .... Ian's case (#1 below)has been sponsored byKyocera Yashica UK as a special deal. It is not the Kyocera Japan model which looks like #2 below and might well be imported straight from Japan by some enterprising Retailers in the UK(could be the BristolCameras case ... it may not ...needs checking out).

3) Looking at the price ...it seems Jessops will be stocking the UK version (that we all like!) in a few weeks time ..... I hope my contact at KYUK will confirm/clear this up.

4) I smell either opportunistic salesmanship, possibly greed,or God forbid, the attention span of a goldfish, from our confusing/confused dealer.

5) However, to be fair(ish) .... he is possibly correct about the identical(almost?) Fuji case at £20 .... Jessops do it too .....at £20 and as I have had , purely coincidentally :crazy:,the privilege today of actually trying my M410R in the Fuji case ....I can say it seems a good if not snug fit. I haven't handled the proper Kyocera case so can't say how snug it is by comparison .... but the Fuji LOOKS identical. But we don't want to go there, do we? We want Kyocera!

So let's see what comes through the email system ..... and I'll report back asap.

Now, as an aside ....... Ian your item is on it's way (2nd class, due to reason's you mentioned in your letter!) and thanks for the Fly print........ what a smooth output the dye-sub printer has ....very impressive!

Lastly (Hooray ...you say!), I mentioned Jessops .....I've been shopping ....and spending (a little) ....thanks to you guys ......report due shortly once I've had a cup of Java and a play with the goods!

BFN KK

Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 4:15 PM   #54
TC3

KK

If your contact is Alastair ....i remember he replied to a few e mails of mine a while back. Anyway i hope this is cleared up soon and in the meantime i have Jessops trying to get the case in for me.

So what did you buy in Jessops?

Tony
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:17 PM   #55

Cheers KK,

Results from the Dye-Sub are very good, thats why I printed Steves off for him to take to Boots.

Hope he gets on ok with them.

So you've been shopping, I'm not allowed unless I'm accompanied!!!

Kiddie in a sweetie shop.

Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:27 PM   #56

Well .... after all this talk of bags and cases .... I just had to go and get one!

No camera shop in Liverpool City centre was immune from my prodding, poking unzipping, squeezing ..... every make, size, colourand shape small camera bag in the shops.

Assistants scattered in anticipation of me asking for them to get out every bag that was not on display but were known to be stocked!

Tamrac's, Samsonite's, CCS's, Case Logic's, Lowepro's, Crumpler, Oyster .... funny budget brands you've never heard of ....... and Jessops own Value for Money brands (quite nice!) ..... you name it I think I saw them. (Hey? Are Tenba still going ...didn't see any!)

As far as I'm concern .... for a small SLR style Digi ....... there's only one make that cuts the mustard ....... in quality, versatilityand choice of sizes ........ and it's.........

Samsonite! .........................................but you knew that anyway! :sleep:

I took all the gear down in a pathetic plastic bag and eventually found and tried the one I wanted ..... the Trekking D-V1 ..... £24.99 from Jessops.

OK a little dearer than Amazon ....but no P+P .... solittle in it. AND ........that extra £1 or 2 was well worth it to see them all in the flesh, and really should go to the very patient, helpful and smartly dressed young man who served me ....as a bonus for his excellent service.

The Samsonite range is very impressive ....especially the Trekking series .... for any size digicam and all the do-dads you want to carry with it. There was one that was out-of-stock .... the Trekking 130 ... a little taller and a little dearer ..... I think this is the one Ian has ......may have made a good alternative ....but I like the proportion of the V1.

I spent some time playing with all those do-dadsin various compartments ....... this is what it has managed to swallow up sofar.

Main compartment:

M410R camera inc Manfrotto QR plate and 25mm long metal lens hood attached.

Small box with ElectroWide Angle adapter, with caps on.

Small pair of roof prism binoculars (or 4xAA charger as alternative ...... maybe both at a push..... time to fiddle needed)

Top Lid pocket:

Mini tripod, Lens brush, Micro-fibre Cleaning cloth, 52>55 step-up ring, 12v car lead for charger.

Back Pocket:

Note book, 3 various sizeplastic bags

Front Pocket - zipped compartment:

2AA Maglite, SL300RT* lens adapter, SL300RT* cable release adapter,

Mini Leatherman (copy.... Jeeez the real one would cost more than the bag!)

Front Pocket - 3 open pockets

55mm +3 dioptre lens and 55mm Pol filter in plastic case

4 x AA spare batteries in plastic case

Mini Kyocera Space-age write at any angle pen!!

2 x spare SD cards in cases

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

There's room for a bit more too! ............ Now where did Ileave my camel?

For those that don't know the size of the bag ......that list above makes it sound huge ... it ain't!

Just one small point ........ anyone who has a Trekking bag ......did you get a waist belt with it? It's just that with all the stuff that the young man had on the counter ....there were a few waist belts floating about ....can't remember if I should have got one supplied withmine .....no doubt if I ask on Monday he will let me know.

BFN .....Oh! many thanks for all your help, photos and advice ....... Cheers, KK

Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:57 PM   #57

Wow, I bet there's a kitchen sink in there somewhere.

Yep Mine is the trekking 130 it didn't come with a belt strap just a shoulder strap.

You do realise though if you had bought a bigger bag the excuse is there to buy more gadets to put in it!:G

So I have the lin/pol filter coming thankyou what other filters would you recommend as a must have? if there is any .

Cheers Ian

Edit:- have sent E-mail to Bristol cameras with the photo of the cases on, so they can clarify which they have and the price. They don't open Sunday so may have a reply next week.
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 3:50 AM   #58
TC3

Ian

Now that was a good idea sending a pic to Bristol Cameras and am wondering why did i not think of that! Oh and tell the wife you want a monthly allowance for toys:-)

Well KK thats good news. I love the layout of these Samsonite bags and the color and style give them a nice look too. You may have driven some assistants to drink but you found what you want and need ! No i did not get a waist belt and i guess you gotta use your own belt and thread it through

Tony

Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:40 AM   #59

Thanks, guys.

Ifound a suitable matching waist belt (large!) from a CCS top loader I use for my big Tamron. Saves me bothering the Sales Assistant!

Ian .... I find the best way to think of the M410R is to think SLR. If I would use "X" filter for a shot with my SLR ........ then I "could" use it for the M410R. In reality, I am not a big "effects" filter fan, and apart from all my Zeisses/Tamrons havingUVs on for protection of the front element AND filter thread, the POL is the only filter I use regularly.

I know there are argumentsagainst using any filter under certain circumstances on digitals ...... reflections off the flat sensor, an effective mirror(!)... and all that, and for night-time shots, so I have taken the UV off the M410R because I am using sucha large metal lens hood. If I was not using this hood ..... I would put the UV back on.

Cheers, KK
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:51 AM   #60
TC3

KK

camera looks cool with the lens hood....wonder if a rubber one would look as good on the camera?

Tony