Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:24 AM   #11
TC3

KK the one in the 2nd link looks good and different

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:57 AM   #12

Mini-pods - have a love-hate relationship with them.

I got a cheapy one from a local shop before I went to USA - it fell apart whilst I was doing a panaromc of the Grand Canyon. One of the screws came loose (and of course, it went missing) and a leg dropped off into the deep canyon.

It was good whilst it lasted - it was nice and small for travels and does what it says on the tin. Just keep an eye on those screws staying tight!

(Nice to see some familiar names still posting on here... still in the French Alps myself- took some wicked snowboarding shots of some of my mates using the 3.3fps setting so Im still happy as Ivan with this camera)!
stez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:11 AM   #13

Thanks for the tips Stez

So you didn't climb down for the leg then?

Is your mini tripod ....err ....bipod similar to any that have been mentioned above?

Love to see your snowboarding shots! I take it the M410R has survived all the Disaster situations or extremes of your holiday venues .......... I might email you about this in the near future.

Cheers, KK.
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:47 PM   #14
TC3

Mine is a cheapo but has held up very well and it was what i used to take the night pics i once posted. I really like the second one you posted a link to KK and you called groovy and i also like the Sony one. If i was to choose one it would be between those two and it would be a toss up between extending legs or a QR head.

Remember this....the situations you will probably use it for....such as resting on a wall...the extending legs might make too big a foot print for all the legs to open fully and rest on the surface.

Tony

Old Feb 1, 2005, 3:43 PM   #15
TC3

i like this one

http://www.digital-cameras.com/shop/...ct.asp?id=1035

i also saw a giotto catalogue...they are cool so have a look and click on mini tripods....the Ball pod 2 is similar to the 2nd link you showed and i would by it in a snap as it has extenable legs unlike the ball pod 1....looks cool too

Tony

Old Feb 1, 2005, 4:19 PM   #16
TC3

finally success....about the only online supplier who stocks the range!

http://www.karlu.com/giottospods.html

The 2section leg version is 10 quid....excellent! The shop is only an hour away so am gonna check em out Saturday if i get time

Tony

Old Feb 1, 2005, 4:55 PM   #17
TC3

Just realised that the ebay store selling Giottos is actually the camera store thats an hour from me...maybe it is a sign:roll:looking for another excuse to get something for the camera i suppose

Tony
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:43 AM   #18
TC3

Am off to Saffron Walden on saturday to take a look at those Giottos mini tripods. I would like to take a look at the Q Pod with 5 leg section. Going to check the max height it goes, so if anyone would like me to look at any of the Giottos tripods on the above link let me know.

Tony
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:13 PM   #19

Darn ....just plunged in ...... and got the Jessops Digi Pod Pocket Tripod JESDPE for £9.99 this morning.

It looked reasonably well made, small and the closed-up cylindrical profile looked better for storage in my well stuffed Samsonite Trekking D-V1 bag. Some of the other types "look" as if they ought to be compact when folded-up .... but when you look at the ball & socket head, you'll find that it will sit a a funny angle and make the storage less compact than you thought.

At first I was not over impressed with the base spread of the Jessops Digi Pod ......... until the clever salesman demonstrated how easy it is to adjust to something you couldnot possibly tip over! Just twist up the knurled shroud (marked A) to adjust the maximum angle of the legs ..... they will all stop without spreading any further at the point you've set. The QR plate (marked B)is a nice little bonus ....and Jessops had a spare one in at £1.99 so I grabbed that too!

Overall the quality is good ....not superb, ..... not cheap .....but good, including the sturdiness of the extending legs. Well done Jessops for providing a good value for money mini tripod. Here are the Jessops specs

Pocket tripod ideal for digital cameras

• Sturdy construction [/*]
  • Ball and socket head [/*]
  • Quick release platform [/*]
  • 3 section extendible legs [/*]
  • Low level facility [/*]
  • Height: min: 65mm/max:173mm [/*]
  • Weight: 106g [/*]
  • Length: (for storage): 140mm [/*]
Replacement quick release platform also available (JESQRPDPE)

The pictures belowspeak a thousand words ..... so you can see I was impressed enough with all its facilities to buy it!

Cheers, KK
Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:52 PM   #20
TC3

KK

Thanks for posting the pics....i like the fact that you can adjust the leg spread and am not going for the giottos no more. I really do prefer yours and it is a nice price...some of the Giottos i was looking at ...you need a coin to undo the quick release...not so quick!

I have seen a Sunpak 100 1d i think it is on a web site and will look that up to before i decidebut definatly want a new mini pod that goes higher then the one i have and has a tilt head.

Tony