Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:33 PM   #21

Saw the Sunpack on site below....... you know ....the more I look ....the more I like the Jessops!

Try here: http://www.minitripods.com/index.html

There is always something not quite there for me, on any of the others ...... as sexyas some of them look. Of course, it depends on your requirements, but the winner for me wasthat adjustable, and positive stopping,leg spread!

Forgot to mention ...Jessops salesman ....didn't he do a good job ...... (send me an email to find address where to send gratuity cheques to, please,Mr Jessop) ... he remembered that he had ordered a spare QR plate many months ago and the customer had never turned up for it. A quick search through the drawers found it ....the only one in theshop. He also demonstrated that the whole QR head assembly (not the B&S head part)simply unscrews to reveal a 1/4W20 threadon which to mount your camera/accessory directly! Veeeeeery nice!

Wouldn'ta Manfrotto engineered versionbe just perfect but, no doubt, betreble the price!

Tony ... I think you will be mildly, positivelyimpressed!

KK was! BFN.
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:36 PM   #22
TC3

Have taken a good look and no other tripod in that price range has as many features.... i think you did well buying that KK.

One thing....when you tilt the head at say an angle of 45...can you lock it in the angle?

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:37 PM   #23

Yep! Tried it with the Camera on too!

KK
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:50 AM   #24
TC3

KK

I was telling a girl at work that on Saturday i would be in her area, St Albans, to visit the well stocked Jessops store there and it turns out her husband has the same tripod as you have and he uses it for his digital slr. He has had it for quite some time and thinks it is teriffic value for money.

Of course this means i will definatly be getting one!

Tony
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:56 AM   #25
TC3

Stez

Bet you are having a blast! Dont forget to use the exp compensation is the camera is tricked by the bright snow....am sure you already know this!

Looking forward to seeing some pics on your return

Tony
Old Feb 5, 2005, 8:28 AM   #26
TC3

KK

i picked one up in Jessops this morning and yes i am impressed...does everything it says on the tin and a lil bit more

Tony
Old Feb 6, 2005, 1:27 PM   #27

It's neat! ..... See what I mean about the storage too!

Cheers,KK
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:59 AM   #28

TC3 - bipods or whateverpods - not sure, but your last pics of the minipods you've brought are very near similar to what I had. Obviously brilliant for travel as I said, and for small mounts like a narrow wall. Maybe I was just unlucky or just a little bit too rough with my stuff. The tilt and sivel on it was great but the camera was top heavy if the legs weren't quite in a particular arrangement (this was with the wide angle lens on) - not too bad without any lens attachments.

I've had disasters with the camera out here (Im a skier - so usually I don't fall over as much as boarders do) but there was this particularly bad fall on hard ice (a bit difficult to screech to a halt on ice from a fast run) when I landed on camera which was more or less on my back and took the full weight of me on the hard ice which might as well be a concrete path. Even the wide angle lens survived ok, not a scratch to tell the tale! I didn't have a bag or any form of protection for the camera as I tend to have it "at the ready". Other times I've dropped it or it skied down a slope by itself - was worried about the snow melting into the camera but all's ok.

So it's more durable than I thought but having said that, it might just have been a lucky fluke and don't want to try that stunt again!!

The auto compensation copes very well with bright blue skies and the glaring whiteness of the snow (probably helped by a cross-polariser to add depth to the colours). Particularly difficult is taking pictures of skiers and boarders doing jumps wearing black clothes against blue skies/white slopes. However, all in all, it did better than my (addmittedly crap) film camera when I was out in Livigno a few years ago.

Right time to get some more skiing done and get a bit of a tan!

Kyle
stez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 7:39 AM   #29
TC3

Kyle

Good to hear the camera has survived the knocks so far and i am pleased that you rather than me have put it through its paces!

Sure get a tan....around the goggles and to your exposed face:-) unless you plan on creating an icicle :Oby sking in the nude:!:

Tony
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:56 AM   #30

Hi Kyle

Did your mini tripod look like the 3 photos of the Jessops one I posted on

Thu Feb 3rd, 2005 05:13 pm?

Stronger, lighter, taller, shorter etc,etc? Just interested as a comparison.

Enjoy your skiing. Cheers, KK