Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jul 24, 2005, 7:10 AM   #71

With additional flash

5. The person at the camera store also despatched a set of close-up lenses in the same price. It is a set of 4 lenses. The specification written on them is +1, +2, +4 and Macro. I will experiment with them soon and send you the results.

6. I got very disappointed with the results of wide-angle lens. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve it without buying a new set?

Salaam

wkdurrani
Attached Images

wkdurrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:40 AM   #72

Hi Wkdurrani

Oh! Dear! This Wide Angle (WA) lens does not look a good match to this camera. I agree that to zoom in to lower the vignetting defeats the purpose of using the WA lens in the first place!

I was going togive my standard reply about trying to get the back of theWA lens as close to the front face of the lens on the M410R as possible, but I think with this much vignetting it may only reduce the problem slightly. Try removing the 49>52mm adapter tube that Kyocera supply, and just carefully hold the WA against the front of the lens on the camera .... as centrally as you can ..... and take a shot.

If this proves a success, you can build your own adapter tube that is shorter than the Kyocera one ...... like the one I built below. (I uses 55mm filters because I have many 55mm accessories from my Contax equipment!)

Buy a 49mm to 52mm step-up ring, buy or beg a few old 52mm filters ........ the glass can be scratched, crackedetc .... and it does not matter what type of filter they are .... you will be removing the glass .... you only want a couple of empty filter rings with good threads to add to the 52mm side of the 49/52 step-up ring. You may need to find filters of different thicknesses in order to build your adapter ring so that it just clears the front of the lens barrel by the depth of the threads.

A few things to note ......... do NOT zoom away from the widest setting of the lens when you use this tube ........ the lens barrel will extend slightly when you zoom ...... and you don't wish to risk straining the motor by zooming hard up to the back of the glass on the WA lens. Also, you could use 49mm filters if you were offered some for peanuts or free ........ you then put these blank 49mm filters on the camera first and put the 49/52mm step-up ring on last .......... either way, 49mm blanks or 52mm blanks .... you will end up with a shorter tube than the Kyocera one.

Of course, you can leave this adapter on the camera all the time ....just like the Kyocera one. Also, this adapter will be ideal for your +1, +2 and +4 close-up (CU)lenses ..... just make sure that the lens barrel does not zoom hard up against the back of the glass on the CU lens. getting these CU lenses as close as possible to the camera lens reduces chromatic aberrations (colour fringes seen in areas of high contrast).

The problem with the flash is a common one on a lot of cameras of this type ........ first of all the flash is unlikely tobe built to cover the angle of view of the WA lens .... only the wide setting of the camera. Secondly, adding adapters and WA lenses (or other lenses) causes a problem if the back of the lens intercepts some of the light of the flash and bounces it back to the flash sensor. The sensor thinks it has supplied enough light to the subject (which it hasn't!) and shuts the flash off ......thus a dark picture.I know of no easy cure for this ....and you may have hit on the best solution with your extra flash gun.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, KK
Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 7:27 PM   #73

Hi,

I'm stef15 from germany, and it's my first posting in this forum :blah:

to introduce myself: kyocera M410r user with recently added Raynox DCR2020 lens converter. I had once shot photos as hobby astronomer with analog cameras attached to newton reflectors, many years ago. Maybe this is a reason why I simply had to buy a 2,2 converter

I tried to upload a pic as attachment(not too big, png and jpg, firefox and IE), but got I always got error messages (see below). can you give me some advice?

Best stef15

error message: Invalid SQL query: INSERT INTO WOWBB_ATTACHMENTS (USER_ID, FILE_NAME, FILE_TYPE, FILE_CONTENTS, UPLOAD_DATE, FINALIZED, IMAGE_WIDTH) VALUES (35312, 'Halbmond.jpg', 'image/pjpeg', '?$messageJFIF$message$messageH$messageH$messa ge$message?essageExif$message$messageMM$message*$ message$message$message$message$message$message$m essage$message$message?
stef15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 6:04 AM   #74

Welcome Stef15

Coo! Astro shots from the M410R .... not exactly its forte ...but I'd love to see them .... got an 8" SCT on German EQ (Vixen SP) myself.

I hope one of the moderators can help with the problem. Have you tried posting a shot that's under 250KB just by using the "Browse" at the bottom of the reply panel? Seems to work for most people!

Love to hear your comments, tips etc ...especially about M410R use in low light/astro shots.

Cheers, KK
Old Nov 10, 2005, 3:39 PM   #75

hehe, I hope you saw the big 'many years ago' ... I think I still have a 10 cm Newton at my parents home somewhere, and the amateur observatory in the town where I went to school might still exist, but ... so sorry to diappoint you. I didn't really intend to make astro shots with Kyocera, and you are right, this wouldn't be the best camera for it.

Thanks for your quick response to my upload problem. Yes, I tried with less than 250 kBytes and used the Browse button I think I'll just keep trying ...

stef15

Kyocera Kid wrote:
Quote:
Welcome Stef15

Coo! Astro shots from the M410R .... not exactly its forte ...but I'd love to see them .... got an 8" SCT on German EQ (Vixen SP) myself.

I hope one of the moderators can help with the problem. Have you tried posting a shot that's under 250KB just by using the "Browse" at the bottom of the reply panel? Seems to work for most people!

Love to hear your comments, tips etc ...especially about M410R use in low light/astro shots.

Cheers, KK
Old Nov 10, 2005, 3:41 PM   #76

let's see
Attached Images

Old Nov 10, 2005, 3:43 PM   #77

wow, it worked! and I did nothing else than the first time :?

iso 100, 1/180s , f 2.8, 57 mm x 2.2, aperture priority.

I got rid of some CA :-) by converting to greyscale, scaled down to 600px and sharpened.

I'd like to hear your comments!

stef15
Old Nov 10, 2005, 4:57 PM   #78

You shot this with a M410R!!!!!Wow! .....where is the noise in the background?

Well done! At 1/180s I guess you didn't need to track? Did you use infinity setting or did you focus on the limb/terminator?

Cheers, KK.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 5:54 PM   #79

Hi KK,

if I used infinity setting or not - I can't remember. There were about 100 moon-pics on the sd card that were taken in about 25 mins:? I usually try to check the focus quality immediately in evf and sometimes I have better results using infinite setting, sometimes default setting, sometimes I use automatic autofocus variation in the drive mode. Sometimes I think I get better results using digital zoom sometimes not - the best result certainly depends on many parameters - not always under my control or reproducible but the differences are clearly visible. Besides this, I have the impression, that the lens converter makes it much more difficult to find the best focus.

But here are some more infos: the pic was taken yesterday from the center of my town and the moon was going down between the trees and houses already. It was quite a foggy night and on the other photos I took you can see the halo getting bigger and brighter from minute to minute. Exposure bias -2.3 might have helped to hide noise (and oh, aperture was 3.14 not 2.8). No tracking but a stone wall and 2 sec self timer.

best wishes
stef15

Kyocera Kid wrote:
Quote:
Well done! At 1/180s I guess you didn't need to track? Did you use infinity setting or did you focus on the limb/terminator?

Cheers, KK.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 6:48 AM   #80

Thanks for the info Stef15 ...... I found it very useful ....a bet others will too.

Keep posting :-D

KK