Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Feb 19, 2005, 1:24 PM   #1

I found these, is it a good starter kit for the novice?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...;s=electronics

I am in the US, and plan to buy the cam, lens, batterries/charger and memory stick in thesame place.

I also want to purchase a large capacity, high speed memory stick. Which do you suggest? Would this one work well?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...o&n=172282

Thanks, Steve.

snb73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 1:40 PM   #2

Firstly may I welcome you to the Kyocera/Yashica forum and congratulate you on a fine choice of camera:-):-):-)

TC3 posted this link for high speed SD cards

http://www.thesimpleshop.co.uk/subsi...8bbd0ba465d62a

As they are cheap compared to all the others I may go for these as well. You may find though that in the US you will be able to get most things at a good price!

I'm sure TC3 and KK will give you some more advice, that filter kit looks very good, but I don't know about the quality.

I've just noticed your choice of 1GB card, now in my personal opinion I would use a few smaller cards, just in case one gets corrupt and you lose everything.I don't know anybody it's happened to but I have read reports that it has happened, just my opinion, I think any card is okay as long as it's high speed. There has been a suggestion that a Sandisk may not work though.

Cheers Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:39 PM   #3
TC3

Hi snb

Have a look at Newegg.com where you can get a very fast speed Kingmax 1GB for about $77 or a 512mb for $39.

I would steer clear of the Opteka brand as they are not good quality and will be happy to help you choose something else if you are sure you want the filters. I have bought my filters 2nd hand on e bay and they have been unmarked and perfect. I did buy a new Hoya HMC (multi coated) uv filter but that was just 11 quid from e bay.

No need to buy everything in one place....if you need help finding the gear in usa for a good price just ask and i will post a few links after a search

Oh and welcome to the Forum

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:58 PM   #4
TC3

Snb

Pny cards are no good to you if you want to take advantage of the M410R' speed. The Kingmax Platinum SD cards is a very good deal for a high speed card. Several peeps on steves forums use them and i have never seen one bad comment made.

Amazon.com are doing the camera for $327 i see and they are a very good retailer as you know so you are right to get the camera from them. like i said E bay is the place for filters both new and used

Tony
Old Feb 19, 2005, 5:29 PM   #5

Hi Steve ....welcome to the best sub-Forum on Steve's Digicams! :-)

Spot on advice from Ian and Tony ....... As Iansaid, go for multiple small cards if your budget is limited ....or 2 or 3 one GB cards if you are Rockefeller! Good to swap for different themes, purposes .... and for back-up .....etc.

Choose good make, high speed cards as Tony says. I use Dane-Elec .... recommended by KY UK.

Opteka unknown to me ......I'd rather stick to tried and trusted makes. In UK and Europe ....we have a good supply of "used" but "not used" (if you see what I mean) filters obtainable for a few $'s equivalent. Ebay is good (usually) ....but see below and you might just buy from your local retailer.

Do you really want a UV and a Pol and a FL? The FL is in reality virtually redundant with the WB mode of the camera .......... the UV can be used as a protection filter if you do not intend to use a lens hod ....... but I think the lens hood will be a better way to go! So that leaves you with a POL filter to buy ....quite useful!

Let's see some of your shots ...when you are ready ......

Cheers, KK.
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:57 PM   #6

Thanks Guys,

Based on your responses, here is the starter kit I amassed;

Kyocera M410

1- Panasonic 256mb high speed SD memory card

MAHA C204F Charger (AC/DC input) w/4 200mah batts

MAHA 2450 mah -8 pack

I have been casually looking for a digi cam that can shoot action, under $880, for about a year now. My son and I ride motocross together and I get a kick out of seeing pictures of him. In the past, Iborrowed camsbut the action was always blurry. It seemed when the subject was in frame and I'd shoot, all I would get was a rear tire.Most cams had horrible lag time.He will be visiting me from his moms for spring break soon. I should have some good shots to post then.

As far as the filters go, I will be shooting outdoors in sunny conditions most of the time. I would probably use a filterforprotection more than anything else. I did find a UV filter, contico i think, at the local store on closeout for $5 US. I guess I can't go wrong there?

Thanks again guys, Steve.

Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:49 AM   #7
TC3

Snb

I have the exact same Panasonic card which i had bought from amazon too and it has been very good and without issues. It is not better then the Kingmax brand though which are cheaper

Why spendbuy a cheap no name filter? I know any filter can protect the lens but there is a difference between glass used in filters. What is the point of cutting corners when you spend all that money on the gear....then place a cheap bit of glass in front of lens? Get my drift?

This is what you want....and it is multi coated

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...99468&rd=1

Tony
Old Feb 20, 2005, 5:41 AM   #8

Motocross eh! ...... I can see why you might want a UV filter on!

Not sure about a Contico ...... there is potential to go wrong there! You might be OK but you will know for sure that a HMC Hoya will be safe.

You have not mentioned a lens hood ...... I think an essential bit of kit ..... have a look at

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=19

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=19

and for some theory

http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/lenshood.html

There a couple of minor problems with usingsome hoods though. I like the metal ones ....but they take up more room in the bag ....and can be a problem to find a cap for. Of course, you can avoid this by taking it off each time .....but do you really want the bother?

Also with a lens the runs from 37mm to 370mm (equivalent on 35mm) how can any hood cope with that ........ well .....no single hood probably could cope ....... but even a short hood that does not vignette at 37mm will be better than none at other focal lengths.

Cheers, KK

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 6:37 AM   #9
TC3

Ah yes....a lens hood...keep the glare out of the lens!

I tried motocross before....excellent fun....my bike is ok of road but not good enough for motocross! What bikes you guys got? You will need some good protection for that camera just in case you come off....or lets say for when you do come off :-)

Tony
Old Feb 20, 2005, 6:33 PM   #10

Maybe I should just try using it before I buy any more accessories. :G

I just bought a 2003 RM250, this thing was barelt used and looks brand new. My son has a 2003 KX125. He comes for his spring break visit n a few weeks. I should have some cool shots to post then.

Thanks again, Steve.