Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:07 PM   #1

Got my hands on a barely used M410R finally. It is missing the adapter ring for 52mm accessories. (I must say it is a better cam than my Panasonic FZ2). Kyocera's website doesn't sell this adapter. Where can I find one?

Another (quite frustrating) issue is a seemingly dead spot on a CCD sensor. I attach a photo - see if you could find a white spot quickly - between cat's eyes. I can live with it - especially since it shows as a white dot on LCD before taking a shot - so I could just point this dot at something white. But would be nice not to have it there :roll:

Attached Images

mostwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:05 PM   #2
TC3

Hi i can see a white spot between the eyes but i prob would not have seen it if you had not said.

Ask KK who is a forum member here and maybe he can give you help as to how to get the adaptor. Glad you like the camera....if it is still under warranty maybe they will sort out the ccd problem? Anyway KK is the guy to talk to as he is a wise man :!:

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:33 PM   #3

Hi mostwired

Well as Tony said its notnoticeable it if youdont know about it on that background but it might be very frustrating if the pic had a dark subject in the center. If its visible in those situations I personally wouldn't be very pleased with the cam and would like a replacement.

As regards the adaptor I gat mine as part of the camera pakage and I cannot help you on that.

Really hope you solve these problems and start enjoying the camera.

regards

garrard
gerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:02 AM   #4

Hi Mostwired

The tube might not be listed as an accessory for everyone to buy, but it must be available as a spare part .... for those who damage/lose their supplied one. It might take an email or phone call toyour national/regionalservice depot to find out the price etc.

If all else fails use a step-up ring 49mm/52mm and two empty filter rings ....you can use either 49mm filters (step-up goes on last) or two 52mm filters (step-up goes on first). Don't use thin filters ....or expensive ones (you'll be taking the glass out!) This set-up will cost very little ..... especially if you can find a couple of used/unwanted filters. Just make sure that a filter (with glass in!) on the home made tube clears the zoom lens when the zoom is set to longest focal length (the lens does move out very slightly at max zoom).

Dead/hot/cold/stuck RGBpixel.....Hmmmm! Not sure of Kyocera's policy (or any other digital camera manufacturer's) on a single bad pixel. My camera has one permanently on red ........ I ignore it 99.9% of the time. I know where it is ....but have a real hard time spotting it at normal magnifications. If I'm feeling picky, I zap it in an image editor with an appropriatecolour from an adjacent cell .... no big deal really.

Why not email the service depot about this too! You say it is a barely used camera, that might affect the warranty. Is it possible to return it to the vendor, if Kyocera say that there should be no defects? Otherwise, youare stuck with it

Cheers, KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 8:06 AM   #5

hi most wired

i have had a similar problem but have been clearly visible at all times. they have mailnly been stuck and effected pixels around them too. i wasnt happy about this and kyocera UK have been more than willing to sort this out, this wasnt the only problem as night shots ect were excessively noisey too.

this probably doesnt help you a great deal as you are over the water, however you arent alone in the problem and i was happy with the response i got,so hopefully you will be too.

there issomeway of masking the pixel by taking a shot with the lense cap on and then using that as a mask in a phot editor.... but im really hazy onthe details.... KK have you got any ideas? i know if you search for dead / hot pixels on this site there are plenty of subjects on it. Even DSLR suffer.. ..the manufacturers just has included a pixel mapping tool (manufacturer configurable) so they can remove the dead / stuck pixel from the final processing.

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 8:23 AM   #6
TC3

At least it can be corrected using software, if the spot is distracting in a particular shot.

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:46 AM   #7

Hi Steve ..... the problem with a mask ....is what would you want the end result to be? I.e. turn a dead pixel to white or a hot pixel to black ....... or a red pixel .... to what? Or all problem pixels to 18% grey? I think you can see what I am getting at!

'Fraid the best thing to do is ...if you can see it .....clone one of the pixels next to it! No doubt there will be some clever specific software available to do this for you .....but ....... I've often found that noise reduction software,or similar, can be a little harsh on some detail.

I have an idea that the old "cap on" trick can cause problems too. See here for some ideas.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3915

Cheers, KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote