Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:05 AM   #11

Ah that explains the price then,

Well my question is this then, The shot above was a +6 not too bad using 2 elements, so I would guess that if I had enough filters say 2x +4's and a +2 to make a +10 using 3elements would this give a much better result?
Or finding a combination of different filters to give the best macro lens.......I wonder what you could go up to?
This sounds like a mission, should I wish to accept it.......My brain or walletwill self destruct in 5 seconds:lol:

Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:22 AM   #12

Here is the +4,+2 and +1 screwed into each other in that order should be the equivalent to a +7 still looks much better than my +10 Macro.
Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:55 AM   #13
TC3

Ian

Those pics are certainly much improved! So it is just the +10 that is crappy glass but the rest can do the job! Maybe the more you stack the more CA will be apparent?

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:02 AM   #14

Ah! if only it worked like that!

2 and 3 element close-up lenses or, for example, say ...the front group of a long focus lens ..... are designed so that the various elements of the lens system cancel out or at least minimise the distortions produced by each element. They will usually be made from glass with different refractive indicies ....example flint and crown glass.

Stacking 2 or 3 similar simple lenses together will not cancel or minimise the distortions ....in fact, they will exaggerate the distortions. You may be able to see this effect with your experiments .... most noticeably ...Chromatic aberration.

You can see from this that there may be some :roll:justification for the price of these 2 or 3 element close-up lenses. Also, you might be able to see why the 3 elements from the 135mm lens worksso well. Basically, if it works well as an add-on macro ...it's because it wasdesigned to work well as part of the telephoto!

See ......

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...opt/aber2.html

and also click on the link for Doublet.

Ian, that +10 you have must be made from a roughly reground milk bottle bottom! :-)

cheers, KK.

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:04 AM   #15

I don't know Tony,

From what I've read the DOF decreases with the more you stack. If you have good quality glass maybe able to stackthem and get good results, even if this means putting empty filter rings between the close-up filters.

I've not found a used Macro on Ebay by Hoya or B&W and I wouldn't pay the new price unless I was to really get into Macro photography but It's very interesting and I really enjoy it, so who knows!

Could be just as easy and cheap to just buy a ready made macro lens but playing about with all these lenses is fascinating and if I can find good quality second hand jobs won't cost too much......I hope.

Well KK has just put us right on that it was worth a try, still if I'm still interested in it by the end of the month when I get paid a DCR250 may well be purchased.

A roughly ground milk bottle bottom........you think it's as good as that!

Very interesting link KK

Ian

Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:35 AM   #16
TC3

Look here....same make as mine

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...96624&rd=1

Tony
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:13 AM   #17

Thanks Tony,

Just got some Jessops +1,+2,+3 and +4 oh and a blue filter £5

Cheap at half the price, as I got the others for free

and these were so very cheap why not!

Ian
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:24 AM   #18

Ian ...I see more ruler shots soon!:-)

BTW ...... placing "spacers" between the stacked simple lenses will only serve to allow the blue and red parts of the spectrum to diverge more before it hits the next lens ...... you can imagine why this is not good!

The above is the main reason why I was trying to get the simple +3 dioptre lens so close to the front element of the cameras lens .... using my home-made adapter tube.

Cheers, KK.
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:34 AM   #19

Cheers KK,

After your response and reading through that link, it became a little clearer(pardon the pun)

I have used the 49mm thread with blank filter rings to try and get the close up filters near to the camera lens so will just see how good the Jessops ones are.

Not bad for £5, but now I will have 8 close up filters!! and no I won't be putting them all on!...................

I will try and find something else besides the steel rule shots, but it's a good guide to what you can get.

Ian
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:18 PM   #20
TC3

Ian

I saw the filters you bought as when i posted the link to e bay there was something like 30 minutes left to that auction. I am temted to buy the 2 Jessops filters but am saving for a new sLR and if i start buying anymore for this camera wifey will either leave or murder me :-)

8 filters all atcked together! Can not imagine how that will work...maybe you should not use the bottle top macro!

Tony