Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:16 PM   #1

I've started this "new" topic to save clogging up the DCR-250 subject.

In various threads ..... I, with my +3 dioptre lens, Tony with his excellent +4 dioptre lens and Ian with his digital zoom (and interesting +10 dioptre lens :-)) have explored the world of close-up photography with the M410R.

Chris Doudet started the DCR-250 thread and I for one have found those shots fascinating and a bench-mark to judge other shots by. As an amateur entomologist, specializing in Dragonflies, anything that widens my knowledge of what can be achieved in the field with digital cameras within the budget of an average amateur has got to be compulsory reading (and viewing!)

In the following message(s) I'd like to make it clear that in no way am I trying to belittle the Raynox DCR-250 .....I'm just trying to explore the "junk-box" possibilities as an alternative. This may be useful for those on a tight budget, or for those who have only an occasional call to do close-up work.

This morning I found, in my junk-box, the front section of a 135mm f2.8 lens, 3 elements. It appeared to make an excellent magnifying glass, and as only a day or so ago I rough mounted a cheapo magnifying glass on the front of my lens hood and was surprised with the results, I just had to try this superior version! Well I would have to .....wouldn't I? :lol:

I cellotaped the 55mm part to the front of this 3 element lens onto my 55mm home-made extension tube that permanently lives on the M410R. I have experimented before with reversed lenses on 35mm film equipment but never on digital ....and never with "partial" lenses before.

Because there are various threads covering this subject ....and spread out of several pages, which are not too easy to follow, I decided to organise the results in as compact a form as possible (with my limited knowledge of this forums facilities). The results are spread over 3 messages .....so be patient ....or go read something else!

I decided to use the obligatory "cm rule" .... but decided to paste alongside a more natural subject!

You may find the captions useful if you read them carefully .....Oh! and for those of you who are wondering what on earth the "alien" is .... it's a dragonfly exuvia ....the empty skin that the larva leaves behind when it crawls out of a water body and attains its flying adult form. It is a Aeshnid species and almost 4cm long! :O

I hope you find the results as interesting as I did ......... more on that in the final message.

Cheers, KK.

Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:23 PM   #2

Next!
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:24 PM   #3

Final images.

Although not easy to see (above)....... the 3 element part of the 135mm lens makes a very superior close-up attachment. There is little Chromatic aberration compared with the simple one element +3 close-up "filter" ....yet it provides a very useful step up in magnification.

Of course ...you do not need to use the camera at full zoom (optical or digital) if the subject is large enough .... but the lack of CA will always be useful.

One slightly surprising result (shown in the last images - below) is that the camera will give higher magnification with no aux lenses attached (in macro mode) when in its fullest wide angle position ... than it will at its fullest telephoto position! One thing to note though ...is the very short working distance ..... for a very "bug-eyed" view!:-)

Cheers, KK.

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:42 AM   #4
TC3

KK

Goes to show what can be achieved using cheapo gear!! I had no idea you can get more macro magnification at wide end but i guess you must be touching the subject. No big deal if you have a stationary object with lots of light. Some great results with the front elements from the lens and even with 4x zoom they look real good

Thanks for postingthat KK and i am sure peeps can learn a thing or two from it all

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 4:30 AM   #5

KK,

Fantastic shots and comparison KK,

The cheapo lenses don't half make a difference, what would be nice to see a shot with a +10 Macro filter used, a good one Hoya/Jessops or B&W(now that costsmore than the Raynox DCR250?)

As a guide this is what I've found, all prices from Jessops:

B+W 52mm Macro +10 £31.99
Hoya 49mm Macro +10 £43.99 How expensive!
B+W 49mm Macro+10 £31.99

There was no Hoya 52mm thread Macro filter displayed.
On top of these prices if you use the 49mm thread you will need blank filters to make up an extension tube, or old filters with glass removed.

Raynox DCR 250 £35.99

My +10 is just too poor quality and ittakes an age toget focus lock at full optical, never mind digital as well.

Very interesting gives some useful advice, if I can find ajessops or Hoya macro cheap enough may buy andhave a go with that, just to see what a difference good quality glass can do. Strange that these macro single element lenses are more expensive than the Raynox multi element lens. Which is a little odd as I would assume the Raynox would give far better results being multi element.

Cheers Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 4:54 AM   #6

Usingmy cheap +4 filter,F8 full optical approx 20cm away

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2005, 4:55 AM   #7

same as above but full optical and digital zoom,

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:35 AM   #8

'Ere! What's just happened ?......... those last shots have suddenly got better!

KK
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:45 AM   #9

I've uploaded different shots using the +4 and not the Macro +10.

As you say you have to try these thingsand it does say that I should be able to do it so this is the +4 next to the lens with a +2 screwed onto the front of that so this is the shot with an equivalent +6, again with full optical and then full optical&digital. Excuse my complete garbage attempt to do this using elements!

From this I can only assume that the Macro lens is rather crap the others don't seem to be giving a bad result, this shot has suprised me though.

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:53 AM   #10

Ian ...... I think the Hoya +10 is 2 element. Not sure about the B+W.

Cheers, KK