Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Mar 12, 2005, 12:53 PM   #11
TC3

I find in a lot of cases and this is with most if not all digi cams you need to tweak the photo a bit in a program. ACDsee auto levels for a quick fix though not perfect and this is the result

Some bad vignetting there Steve...did you have a lens hood?

Attached Images

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 12:55 PM   #12
TC3

Just realised you said it was taken at full zoom....there should not be any vignetting at all....very odd

Tony
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:42 PM   #13

yeah i wacked it through psp9 and got a brighter picture.... its just the first time i have had to do it with this camera. i was wondering whether it was the latest replacement that was different. i only used the standard lens adaptor.

as for the vignetting im not sure if it is that or whether its a coincidence created by clouds. i can see it at the top but not at bottom. looking at other pics i cant really see anything on them thats noticeable.

what do you reckon to the shutter speeds... gut feel says they are very very high! not that im complaining mind.... action shots in dull weather! cant be bad :G

i also gave the b&w mode a shot.... see what you think! just noticed if i do the one hit photo enhance on this (apart from it ruining the photo) the vignetting does appear.... strange... anyone else had this? or is it just a quirk of the light colours etc?

thanks

Steve
Attached Images

5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:59 PM   #14
TC3

I have never had corners as dark as that Steve and i have taken many photos in almost every condition....the vignetting i can also see at the bottom. Maybe it is my eyes?....wait till the others give you their verdict

Tony
Old Mar 12, 2005, 2:52 PM   #15

Hey!.............. you two may be on to something here! :?

When I did those really long thin panoramas of the LE Owl and the Egret, I noticed that the short edges, not just the corners, seemed a tad darker than the centre sections of the shots, maybe by approx1/2 stop. I generally had the camera on a fairly long zoom setting ....maybe near or at max for both birds!

This was quite obvious as I tried to match up one shot to the next to build up the panoramas.I had to select out about 3% of the shot near the short edges in order to match the next shot etc.

I must point out that this is a very unusual use of the shots and I probably would never have noticed it on a single shot ...... only because of what I was trying to create. :-)

I think I remarked in that thread how even the exposure was from frame to frame ....which made creating the panoramasa doddle!.... even though this is true ...... this thread has reminded me that I generally used the centre 90+ % of the shot to make sure that there was a perfect exposure match.

I dismissed this in my memory, in favour of the many positive aspects of the shots I took.

I'll see if I can create something as a comparison that shows this phenomena up. Give me a couple of hours and I'll see what I can do! :evil:

Cheers KK

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:23 PM   #16

Actually it took a lot less time than I thought to demonstrate this. And while I was right about the fact that even the centre of the short edges are slightly darker .... one would have to be very critical to say this ......it looks very much like classic corner vignetting!

I have not bothered to reproduce the consistency of the shots if you ignore the corners ...... as the original ultra-panoramas show this.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=19

Comment: I guess something has to give with a 10x zoom! Live with it!

Cheers, KK
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:29 PM   #17

BTW ....do you notice that the extreme left hand upper corner and extreme right hand upper corner of the above panorama are noticeably darker than adjacent areas?....compared with the easy to see overlay sections of an "edge" pasted on a "middle".

No? Neither did I ....... until I realised that they ought to be! Food for thought?

FYI...... The righthand shot is a "full shot".

KK

Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:38 PM   #18

Another little play with an overlap area ..............

If I apply -7% brightness to the lighter area (left)next to a boundary ....it matches the darker area(right).

Likewise....... a gamma of 0.77 does a similar job.

Haven't a clue if these figures are significant ...so don't ask!

Cheers, KK
Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:42 PM   #19

Hi all,

Just been reading through, I can't really see a huge problem with the vignetting but it could be my monitor not set correctly.

I downloaded the B&W and did the Auto levels..then I noticed the dark corners.

Very strange just been looking at some of the other pictures that have been posted, it doesn't look bad or there at all.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=19

These are the action shot posts, I thought it maybe the sea and the sky blending into each otherthrowing the camera, but Gerrard's shots look ok at the beach, although the bottom half is sand.

Don't know not thatgood yet:?

Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 2:59 AM   #20
TC3

Checked out a lot of my pics and there is a teeny bit of darkened corners but this is only on a handful of shots at full zoom. Obviously a whiteish sky will show it up more but it is not present in every pic under those conditions.

Well it can be cropped or photo shopped so no big deal

Tony