Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:28 PM   #1

When shooting in continuous mode, both the LCD and the viewfinder just flashes each shot as it is taken and not the subject I am trying to capture.
Obviously, I can't keep my subject framed if I can't see it.
This is true for both 3.3 fps and 2 fps (autofocus).
I have purchased high speed memory (SanDisk Ultra II).
I'm surprised I have never seen anyone else mention this problem.
I sent the camera to Kyocera and after keeping it 5 weeks they sent it back saying they could find no problem.
This is ridiculous. How can you take action shots if you can't see your subject? Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance.
benyou4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2005, 3:11 PM   #2
TC3

Have you tried going into settings and turning Rec review to OFF? it is what i do and i have no problem following action

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 3:39 PM   #3

I have turned Rec Review off and I still have the problem.
Thanks for replying, though.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 5:01 PM   #4

Ithink you have not seen anyone else describe this problem because no one else has had it!

The camera is very capable of allowing you to follow the action ..... even at 3.3fps, without the EVF or LCD "flashing" (unlike most other cameras .... apparently!).

See my shots as proof of this in the long panoramas I posted in

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=19

click on the jpg links and you can click on the picture to enlarge them.

What amazes me about your posting (and I am not doubting you in any way) is that the camera was returned saying it works perfectly ....but you do not mention if they have tried to explain in any way how you might cure the problem that you have. I am assuming here that you did ask them what might be the cause of what you describe. :?

Tony's idea was my first one too ........ when you are in single shot mode, do you see a preview?

The only other ones ....however remote a possibilitythey may seem are (or obviously not being used) .........

1) Is the shutter speed long 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1 sec .... because the aperture is small?

2) Is the shutter speed set to long exposure 2, 4, 8 secs?

3) Is the drive mode set to auto-bracket?

4) Are you trying flash shots?

5) Have you set the camera to movie mode and are taking very short movies!

If you are sure the memory card is not the problem and none of the above seem to cause the problem ..... then I would say the camera is faulty!

Cheers, KK

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 5:32 PM   #5

i have just tried mine and i can kind of see the problem but i dont think its a big problem.

when you are in continuous mode it automatically switches record review off except for the last shot. the screen / evf i think shows a brief view of the last shot and you kind of get used to trackingthe subject from that. once you have done a few shots then you get a feel for the speed and direction.... plus lots of practice too! :|

its better than most cameras tho as their screens and evfs normally freeze during shots

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:04 PM   #6

Kyocera Kid
have gone over the list you identified and checked each carefully; none of those are the problem.

Regarding the paperwork from Kyocera, they only noted the following: "Repair Result: Inspected-No Problem Found. No other suggestions were made.

To reiterate the problem, with each shot in continuous mode I see a preview of that shot, whether I'm viewing the LCD or the viewfinder. I never get to see my subject after the first shot fires. I shoot outdoors with plenty of light so shutter speed should be no problem.

In single shot mode I get no preview (Rec Review is turned off).

I appreciate you taking the time to provide such a detailed response.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:58 AM   #7

No problem Benyou4 .....we all like to help.

Hmmmm ...... OK ......... tell me if you are panning with the subject and how fast the subject is moving .....I hope you are not trying to track a speeding bullet! :-)

One last thought ....... are you in EXT mode on the control dial,with the drive set to continuous or ........... are you just in Continuous mode on the main control dial?

Cheers, KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:39 AM   #8

Hi all,

KK, I've just tried that...set continuous on mode dial with single shot on in menu.

No problem snaps away like lightning, in evf or on lcd can follow every shot looks like an old fashioned flick show!
Tried the same with mode dial set to ext and then turned on continuous shooting in menu.
I can pan around a room and each shot is exactly what I'm looking at.
It seems to me if it's not the camera it's the card.

Maybe worth while formatting card in camera just to clear/reset it.

Tried doing this with a slow card still sort of works but the last shot stays on the screen or in the evf longer as it's taking longer to write to the card, you just have to pan very slowly.

I've also tried this taking shots of a tree as it's moving about in the wind you can see every different position of the branches.

Very strange, don't really understand whats happening to Benyou4.

Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:31 PM   #9

Kyocera just called me on the phone and we went over this. Apparently you cannot actually see your subject while shooting in continuous mode. You only see each previous shot as it flashes in the viewfinder or LCD.
If you are panning you will have to estimate where the subject will next appear to get it framed properly.
My previous experience is with a high-end Canon that allowed me to continously see my subject while firing, thus permitting me to get accurate framing while panning.
I guess it was too much to expect from a mid-level camera. It still has great features and I am happy with it in every other regard.
Thanks for everyone's assistance. Sorry if there was any inconvenience.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:18 PM   #10

No inconvenience caused here :?

its nice to know all the little 'features' of the camera. i guess its a case of practice and learning to track the subject from the last frames.

when its running at full pace tho it should be fairly easy to track from the last frame preview it shows until the next one is available. ok its not like a 30fps video shotbut it still must be class leading?

Anyway enough waffle from me.... keep posting and share you experiences and views... oh and pictures!

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote