Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:40 AM   #1

ok guys... kk in particular...

what the best easiest way to create a panoramic.

i have 3 shots of lulworth cove (i guess this may be too few) and i want to stitch them together. the exposure is different.... the size seems to de different too (i guess a feature of a bit of barrell distortion at wide angle?)

so what programs etc do you use and what techniques. its something i'd like to master but im not too hot on photo editing. by the way i use PSP 9 generally.

Thanks

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:23 AM   #2

Traditionally, with 35mm equipment, panoramic "stitcher" shots were said to be best done with a standard (50mm) lens or slight telephoto. This was to eliminate the corner/edge distortions that made the stitching tricky. Exposure is best done manually (or with exposure lock) so that changing elements in the scene did not alter the exposure from frame to frame ....again making the stitching difficult.

If I remember correctly, when the M410R is set to continuous drive, does it take all exposures and focusing from the first frame? The former would certainly help as you pan. If the scene were outdoors ...the fixedfocus distancewould probably not be a problem.

If you were taking your time and creating a panoramic on a tripod using a series of single shots (as opposed to tracking a bird or something) ... make sure that the exposure stays exactly the same from first shot to last shot, using whatever technique you can .....e.g. exposure comp, metering elsewhere and re-framing, manual exposure (if your camera has it) etc, etc.

If on a tripod ..... pan the camera first to test that the horizon stays roughly at the same "height" in the frame .... the results will look funny otherwise. However, I personally find "Hockney" style joiners very pleasing .... showing that deliberate disjointedness can be better than slight inaccuracies!

I do not have any "stitching software" and know little about it. Do a Google .... there is bound to be lots of advice and reviews out there. I prefer the "manual" methods!

I use PSP6 ... create a large canvas and plonk the shots on. Ioften use a manual selection tool to "weave" around objects so that nasty straight-line join marks aren't seen. For the bird ultra-panoramas .....I had the lens set to max long zoom ....and used only 90% of the centre of the frame, there was slight darkening in the corners .....as seen in another topic.

I occasionally had to tweak the gamma to match frames....but not by much and not often! Do a trial pasting and while the selection marquee is still visible, try to match up the shot to the previous ones. If they look different in exposure, try slight alterations to the gamma ... or brightness/contrast ..... the change should only affect the area inside the selected marquee ...not the rest of the panorama.

Hope this helps ..... cheers, KK

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 8:43 AM   #3

thanks KK

i'll give it a bash but looks like my source pics are not very well colour matched. i guess i need to lock the exposure. Is that doable on the m410 or am i best hitting continuous mode and taking a full round and picking the ones i want out of that?

i'll let you know if i have any success with the one i have in mind!

Steve
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:48 AM   #4

Hi steve,

I used the panorama stitcher program that came with my old canon A70.
It was excellent but theCanon powershotA70 had a panorama funtion on the mode dial so you could take the shots in this mode and then just stitch the lot together.

I did have a cracking one from American Adventure taken when I was at the top of a big wheel, this was 5 shots stitched together,but me being a muppet have lost it not to mention all the photos I havetaken with any digital camera!!!

Can't find them anywhere I don't remember saving them to disk so must have erased a file not realizing it was full of photos:angry:

Muppet Award is mine!!

Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:00 PM   #5

Tough luck Ian!

Steve ....I don't know of a way of locking the exposure, other than the half-press on the shutter release.....so you could lock exposure thenpan the camera!

You could use say ....aperture priority, memorise the shutter speed of the first one and use the +/- comp to alter shutter speed if need for subsequent ones.

Post the 3 full size shots to my KK addy ... I'll have a bash for you.

Cheers, KK.
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 1:18 PM   #6

hi kk / Ian

shame about those piccies ian.... i guess thats when the american adventure was good eh? i live about 10 minutes walk from there and my g/f lives a stones throw away from it. we quite often go walking cycling around the area.... mainly cycling down the nutbrook trail (not on the roo!) takes you all the way to trent lock its a nice ride.

kk im going to try and sort the piccies out myself (i have to learn sometime!).... thanks for the offer tho i may still take you up on it. are there any particular features in psp that you use for colour matching each print?

i guess this teaches me a lesson to use continuous shot mode for that kind of thing :?

as for losing photo's im making a dvd backup almost weekly now as im running a raid 0 set (which can be a bit unsecure as 2 x 400gb drives make a single 800gb drive ..... drop one drive and off your data goes!)

if i get the panoramics done soon i'll get them posted!

Thanks again

Steve
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:01 PM   #7

Hi, or should that be morning!!!

Just seen the time, madness! Been running an image recovery program on the hard drive all day!!

But found and restored most of my pictures

Here's the panoramic of American Adventure! Okay so it was taken using the canon A70 but it's not bad I'm sure there was 5 shots in this all overlapping by about1/3rd can't remember.

Ian

Attached Images

Old Mar 20, 2005, 3:06 AM   #8
TC3

Glad you got most of the pics back Ian. Nice panorama...i myself have never tried one so maybe i should

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 3:09 AM   #9
TC3

By the way....the shadows/highlights function in CS would be an excellent tool to use to match the exposure in pics

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 5:06 AM   #10

Hi all,

Tried this with the M410R,

Luckily in Program AE I set the aperture to the same for every shot and it just was very lucky the shutter speed was the same for every shot as well! so didn't have to adjust EV compensation to bring shutter speed the same.

All I did was bring them up in Canon PhotoStitcher and the software did the rest.

This was 4 shots panning from left to right again it wasI think about a 1/3rd overlap.

The first split is on the tree next the the wendy house, this was a good overlap using the light in the foreground. (RH edge of first shot was LH edge of the wendy house) The second split is theRHS of the wendyhouse and I think the 3rd is the LH edge of the summer house can't remember, these area guess from when I previewed it in the software. Once you have clicked merge, thisbrings up the panorama and you can thenclick show stitch lines it's very good.

Cheers Ian

P.S.

Just found this maybe worth downloading and having a go with this.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=69

Attached Images