Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:37 PM   #1

Thought I'd split the topic ..... it'll keep Kalypso happy!

Some trials in the field with my 135mm front elements reversed on the front of the M410R.

Both - 100iso, about 250mm equiv on the zoom, f8, macro mode, hand held (phew! and it was a little breezy!)

Subject - approx 8mm

95% whole frame resized to 720pix wide

Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:40 PM   #2

....and extract from full frame at 100% size ......

.....scarey eh! Help me! Help me!

Cheers, KK
Attached Images

Old Apr 29, 2005, 4:33 PM   #3
TC3

KK

Great detail. No not any scarier than i look after i have not shaved for 4 days :-)

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 6:20 PM   #4

Nice shots KK,

How did you get them at F8 handheld?

Using my Canon FD lens reversed, very very difficult to get a shot as sharp as yours!
Is the canon lens much more powerful? which is causing the problem.
I have to use about F4 handheld and then there is still alot of blur, but the DOF is shocking, really must use F8 but on a tripod, can anyone talk insect so I can ask them to stop and pose?

Your last post in more pics part I, you said you had to sort the CA in close up shots where exactly can you see the CA??? I cant see any or maybe I just don't know what to look for:O

Cheers Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:17 PM   #5

Hi Tony .... I like the image you portray! BTW.... what is "shave"? :-)

Hi Ian .... Yes ...the Canon 50mm is nearly 3x more powerful than my 135mm front elements! I am at the limit at what I can hand-hold at 100iso @ f8 ....on a bright day .....and I've had years of practice at this sort of shot. In fact, I had to back off the zoom because I was ditching 95% of the shots, trying to really fill the frame.

When I'm too lazy (or just don't expect to be doing Entomology shots) to use a monopod, I use trees, fences, the ground ....anything to steady my shots. I often come out of the field with my clothes so dirty and scuffed that you'd think I'd been rolling around in it like Lassie!

Which brings me on to a point I often mention to people who eulogize (not that frequently!) about my Dragonfly shots when I give an illustrated talk to Societies or Clubs ....... I tell them the shots look good because I have spent time being critical andonly select the best ...... they are seeing the 5% I don't throw in the bin! And they are seeing the best of many years of effort!

I try to encourage the audience that they too could take these sort of shots ... it just takes practice, patience, a sense of self-criticism .... and a bit of luck! I tell them to expect many, many shots of empty leaves, or of 1/2 of an insect (as it crawls/flies out of frame). I guess I could have saved a fortune in chuck-away slides, if I had started with digital earlier!:-)

I recall an incident from quite a few years ago ....it always makes me chuckle! Imagine a scene where a large grown up(?) man is in the middle of a field, on all fours, camera in hand, elbows in the grass and mud to make the camera steady, no doubt with his rear-end sticking up for the world to admire(!) ..... when walking along on a nearby path comes a little girl and her Mum.

Taking a short break from the efforts of trying to keep still, to capture on film the insectthat was in front of him, the man glances sideways to see the Mum steer the little girl in a wide arc off the path to avoid the strange sight they saw before them. As the couple passed by the little girl was heard to say .... "Mummy, why is that man taking a picture of grass?" As astute and funny as this sounds, the man was thinking ..... "Poor dear .... it's not just grass .....if only you had looked closer ...you'd see a beautiful violet ground beetle ..... a splendid and lively insect!"

A few days later, when the slide film came back from the processors ....the little girl was proved to be right ......... the man indeed had some lovely shots of grass ....oh! and one shot of the rear end of the ground beetle as it disappeared out of the frame! :blah:Yep, you guessed it ....that man was yours truly ....... KK

If everyone was honest, they would probably admit that they only show (or use)their bestcouple of % of all the shots they take!

The point of all this banter ....is KEEP AT IT! If you miss one insect ....go and find another!

Enough of that ...... CA ....Yeah! Resizing to about 1/3 for the forum hides a lot! Here are two extracts from the full sized shots of the Shield bug and Orange tip shown in Part one. I resized then to 150% of original size ....and deliberately chose corners and features that show it up.

Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:23 PM   #6

And another one .... the blue/orange spectral split is more obvious when a white edge is next to a dark background. Here, the orange is quite strong.

Hope this helps ....cheers, KK
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2005, 10:25 AM   #7

Love the fly pic!

Intriguing, yet at the same time slightly disturbing! :O

Have started to become aware of just how much insect activity

there is here. Never taken the time to look beforeI guess.

Andrew.
Attached Images

AJ50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 5:46 PM   #8

Thanks KK,

I think the CA is really not a problem couldn't tell myself until you blew it up to 150%!!!

Just goes to show how good this little camera is with close-up or reversed lenses attached.

Just in case anybody is thinking about the "reversed lens" Thought this would be useful.

With this setup I have a 52mm coupler screwed into the Canon filter thread. Screwed into the coupler isa 49mm to 52mm step-up ring. You can see a Hoya filter.....well it's just an empty ring a thick one!
I have used the above rings so that when the M410r is at full telephoto zoom the lens does extend through the above rings and almost touches the front face of the Canon lens.
I set the focus on the reversed lens to infinity and the aperture to F1.8 (largest size possible) Not really an issue with this lens as you need to use a small screwdriver turn the locking ring, to fool the lens into thinking it's on a camera!

The only thing is you need loads of light, a very slow insect a tripod and the camera should be set to F8 as you need this to get any DOF, with out it the pictures look really flat.

Cheers Ian
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2005, 5:50 PM   #9

Then you can get this, 3mm full length of this little beastie:-)
It's not very good but firsttry through glass!
Yep I have posted this before and Iwill get some more soon!!
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2005, 10:17 AM   #10

AJ ..... nice Blue .....similar to some species found in UK. I think that is what really fascinates me about Entomology ........ things you grew up with, all around you, which you have ignored for years ....take on new meaning and intrigue when you take the time to look at them in more detail ....and I don't just mean under a magnifying glass. Insect behaviour and life cycleare also amazing!

Ian ....your 50mm is equivalent to screwing on a +20 diopter! I could never hand-hold this in the field and get sharp results. You must have nerves of steel! I see you did mention a tripod!

The working distance must be very short too ........ notgood for things that fly! ..... and the depth of field, minuscule! I think I could only use this set-up in a table-top scenario.

Actually ....you've got me wondering now ....... what equivalent diopters are the Raynox DCR-150 and DCR-250? I can't remember ever seeing those figures quoted (anyone know?) I know it can't be +6 and +4, as the model numbers would seem to imply ...that doesn't make sense with the specs!

I can happily use a +3 and probably a +4, quite easily ....and I find I am at my limit for hand-held with the 135mm front elements ... equivalent to +6 / +7 diopter. Even then, I find I often need to back-off the zoom with the 135 set-up.

I'll post another mini-beastie shot from yesterday ...shortly.

Cheers, KK