Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Oct 8, 2005, 6:44 AM   #41

Hi Greg

Hmmmm! There are a lot of variables here. Depends on the size of object you wish to photograph. Some objects will require that you use the macro setting and others will not. Also, if the object is a flighty insect (as many of my subjects are) the cameras native macro setting and full optical zoom only just allows me to fill the frame with the very largest of the UK's insects ... but keeps a respectable distance away from the subject.

In order to get closer, so that smaller objects fill the frame, or I wish to see part of the insect fill the frame, I have to leave the camera set to macro and full optical zoom (usually) ... AND add the +1 or +2 lens ....etc.

See here for examples of what the effect is of not adding and adding lenses to the M410R and it's range of zoom. Of course a +2's effect will be a little less than a +3's, but the effect is still quite significant.

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=19

It took me a while to get used to all the permutations of the cameras zoom lens, with and without macro setting and with and without the various dioptre lenses ..... all I can say is ....choose a typical object size similar tothat which you would frequently shoot ...... and play around in a methodical manner (take notes if necessary) and change your shooting distances and see the effects ..... that's what I did .....and eventually settled on a couple of strategies ...depending on the subject size etc.

You can add the +2 to the Skylight ....but there are 2 potential problems ....... vignetting at small zoom settings ... probably not a problem, but best to check. .......and Chromatic Aberration increase due to moving the +2 dioptre further away from the front element of the camera's lens. This will be a problem with all but the very, very best (and expensive)of close-up lenses.

I recommend a home made 49mm to 52mm (or 55mm) extension/adapter tube instead of the supplied Kyocera one. I bought a 49 to 55mm (in my case) step-up ring and found 2 old 55 mm filters and took the glass out. Add these to the step-up ring and you have a shorter tube. This is used instead of the Kyocera extension/adapter tube .... and allows the Close-up lens to be brought as close as possible to the front element of the camera's lens. The wise ones among our readers will see that the same effect can be had by putting 2 x 49mm blank filter rings on first and adding the step-up ring on last ....same effect ....depends what you have in your junk box :-) . I leave my tube on all the time. You can construct one of these tubes with any final filter size above (and including) 52mm ....... if you have lots of 58mm accessories ...get a 49 to 58 step-up .... etc.

You have to choose your filter thicknesses carefully and allow for the fact that the camera's lensdoes move out slightly when you zoom out ... it is a small amount but important to make sure that the close-up lens clears the front of the camera's lens, but only just.

BTW, I no longer use UV or skylight filters ......for protection ...... I prefer a good metal lens hood.

Hope this helps ...... cheers, KK.

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:40 AM   #42

Thanks for your prompt reply, Time for me to get "playing" just wish the sun was out (very overcast and grey here at the moment), Took a couple of test shots with the flash on in the garden but haven't viewed them as yet.

Greg
Jives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:45 AM   #43

Sounds like you are in the "Sunny" UK ...like me......tupperware skies!

Steve in Notts has the monopoly for the sun in the UK!

Cheers, KK.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:54 AM   #44

Yes your right its "Grim" up north, thats the NE of England Cleveland area not the pretend north like Manchester and the like. LOL

time to go to work now see you later

Greg

Old Oct 8, 2005, 1:48 PM   #45
TC3

Hi greg and welcome

Looks like KK gave his usual expert advice so nothing i can add except i found my +4 Hoya to work well for me and look forward to seeing some of your pics
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 5:12 PM   #46

Cheers TC3

Yes a very coprehensive reply from KK just what I needed.

Going on safari in the garden tomorrow to see if any Bugs want there photo taking.

Greg
Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:53 AM   #47

Typical cold and dull day, nothing flying/crawling about to photo.

so this is all I found in the garage

Roll on summer!

Greg
Attached Images

Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:57 AM   #48

and again
Attached Images

Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:58 AM   #49

Hey ..... Nice!

How did you light it? What was its legspan, size, roughly?

Did you notice any CA on the original shot?

Cheers, KK
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:06 AM   #50

Had to use the built in flash

leg span was I guess 25mm ish

No noticable CA on original shots

as you can see not enough DOP on second as I had the aperture wide open, not ideal with legs that come towards the camera, other was stopped down to f8.

used the +2 filter macro full zoom iso100.

Thanks Greg