Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:49 AM   #11

OK .... I think we are getting somewhere now .........

I am assuming that you have the camera switched on using the button marked "POWER" and that the batteries are charged ....if they aren't .... then the camera will not switch on and the screen will stay black.

You say the LCD screen is black...... I assume it is black even when you point the lens toward a bright light. Is there any sign of an image on the LCD display at all? Is there any change when you press the "DISPLAY" button a few times ....slowly?

Is there a green arrow or red camera lit up above the display?

I still do not understand what you mean by .... "the lens was closed ( the protection was on) " ........

...... there is no closing on the lens of the SL300R .... nor is there any protection .....are we talking about the same camera ..... it sounds like you are describing something like a Finecam S3R ....... maybe you could send a small picture of your camera ....(use a mirror totake a picture of itself, if you do not have a second camera to take the picture!)

I like mysteries! KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 4:02 PM   #12

hi again .this is the photo of the camera .the one circled in red is the lens i'm talking about .the problem is that this lens is open when the camera is off and when i turn it on the lens gets closed . also the camera gets too hot .hope i was clear enough .thanks for the quick reply .

PS : the camera is KYOCERA SL 300 R.
Attached Images

piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 4:38 PM   #13

Hello Piston

I can see from the photo that you have an SL300R. The problem is that there is no closing mechanism for this camera ...either whenit is switched on or when it is switched off! This is where the confusion arises!

I wonder if it is simply the aperture that you are seeing closing down to f7.5 ....for example. The lens being "open" when the camera is switched off is normal, because there is no closing mechanism.

Let me try a few questions which might tell me the problem (or maybe not really a problem) if you could answer them in the order that I ask them. I realise that you may not be able to answer some of them ... if there is no display!

1) Does the LCD display light up at all when you switch the camera on using the button marked "POWER"?

2) Can you set the camera to the "RED" camera setting - this is the middle one of the 5 icons ... the first is "SET UP" ...... you can use the < or > button to try to get the red camera to light up.

3) If you press "DISPLAY" a few times when you point the lens to a very bright light does the LCD display change?

4) If the LCD display is working, does the battery indicator show all white to say the battery is full, or does the camera switch on very briefly but then switch off immediately?

5) Does the camera play a little tune when you try to switch it on?

6) Have you installed a SD memory card?

7) Can you hear the zoom lens motor work when you press the zoom button?

8.) Do you have a manual for this camera ...... forgive me for asking ...but do you know how to operate it and how to alter the settings?

Let us take it from there and we might make progress to solve your problem.

Cheers, KK
Old Oct 8, 2005, 3:54 AM   #14

hi .i checked all what you asked me about and it is working as you said except for the Lcd changing when you press the display botton for a few time .the problem is that the display is working, yet i can see nothing, it is black ????? i can the charge indicator and all of that stuff but no image .you see what i mean ?

do you see the lcd , it is all black when i turn it on ???

also on the next image i see something covering the optic eye whe i switch it on .what is it ???
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2005, 4:08 AM   #15

thi is the second image i talked about
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2005, 6:54 AM   #16

OK .....sorry to be pedantic ...... but if you could answer the questions individually and number your answersthe same as I have asked them, I might be able tosee if there is a fault in your camera. The questions were posed to specifically try to eliminate a few things.

Try to answer them as near as you canand only what each one asks.

Thanks, KK
Old Oct 9, 2005, 4:40 PM   #17

hi.

1.the LCd lights up when I switch on the camera using the button "power".

2. I can set the the camera to the red camera setting.

3. the LCd display does not change when i press "display" a few time pointing the lens to a very bright light .

4.the LCd display is working , the battery indicator shaow all white to say battery is full .

5. the camera do play a little tune when i try to switch it on .

6. yes I have installed an sd memory card .

7. i can hear the zoom lens motor when i press zoom button .

8. i do have a manual for the camera and i read it all .

now, did you see the photos i sent you . did i make myself clear.???thanks
Old Oct 9, 2005, 5:13 PM   #18

Thank you for patiently answering the questions.

I did see your photos ....and that is the source of the mystery ...... the SL300R has no closing mechanism inside the lens .....that is what is puzzling me. It is possible that the aperture mechanism is blocking the lens ....but at this point I can not tell.

Before I say to you that I think you have a faulty camera, I was trying to eliminate the most obvious points. Even now there might be something I have not thought of ... and I do not want to send you along to the repairers when it is a simple setting that could be wrong! :idea:

In your answer to question 4 ....you say the LCD is working ...... can you tell me how you know that it is workingif the LCD is black ....... is it possible to see any movement on the LCD when you point it towards a bright light and move the camera about? You understand that it is not that I disbelieve you ...I am simply trying to eliminate simple setting problems.

Have you ever been able to take aphoto with this camera, and view the result on the LCD ......or download it from the card toa computer? Do you have a card with photos on it that can be viewed with this camera set to play (green arrow to the left of centre)?

Thanks, KK

Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:38 AM   #19

hi .when the camera is on ican see everuthing but the image on the display,that is i can see the charge indicator,the flash indicator and all of that stuff ?but the image is black !!!!!!!!there is some change in the lcd lighting when i point it to a bright light and when i take the photo it is black as you can see in image below. can i send you an avi file showing you how it does exactly? thanks
Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2005, 6:12 AM   #20

I think I have enough information to say you probably have a faulty camera. Maybe the aperture mechanism is blocking all the light, but even then you should see a lot of "noise" on the LCD before you take the picture. It is a mystery,I can think of no reason why you can see no imageon the LCD (other than the settings information).

There is certainly no protection or closing mechanism ....so if you can see something inside completely blocking the lens when you switch the camera on, then something is surely wrong.

Have you ever been able to take aphoto with this camera, and view the result on the LCD ......or have you ever tried looking at what is on the memory card when you download ittoa computer? You might have to use a card reader to see if there is anything on the card ....the camera may not be able todownload the images (if there are any!) if it is faulty.

Thanks, KK