Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:29 AM   #1

I have a SL300RT* which I love and have used quite a lot. Today after using it I have dropped it from my pocket. Now when I turn it on a whirring noise comes from the lens and then it turns itself off.

Does anyone know :-

a) What I've gone and done and how can I fix it

b) Is it likely that a repair shop will be able to fix it ?

c) If yes to b) - can anyone recommend a good repair shop in the Stockport/Manchester area ?

many thanks in advance for you advice.
Platti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:55 AM   #2

Hi Platti

Extreme bad luck!

a) Unlikely anyone can predict what the damage is ....no matter how good your description of the details of the collision or the noises it makes afterward!

b) Unlikely anyone other than an approved Kyocera/Contax service agent would even tackle such a job ...it's hardly what you would call ....a "run of the mill" camera! Some Service companies pretend that they will fix it (themselves) ....but in reality they send it back to the official repair agent in that country. They then get a bill from the agent, add their own profit to the agent's bill ....and sting you for the lot! It can be cheaper sometimes to send it to the agent directly!

c) The UK's agent (was Kyocera Yashica UK) ..... is now Alpha Digital Services Ltd. It is the same people running the new company as used to run KY UK .....before the Japanese Head Office pulled the plug on the UK, Europe and the USA offices....so they are still good guys to deal with ... they negotiated the service agreement with Japan ...hence the new company and new name.

Read all about it here and you will see the contact information too....... talk/write to them and get a quote etc.

http://www.kyu.co.uk/

(An aside ...... some Main Service Agents are known tofranchise their repair work to the Service departments of HUGE Opto-electronics companies! They have the time, personnel, equipment and experience to handle all sorts of electronic/optical repairs, once they get the service manual sent through from the equipments original manufacturer! .... The mind boggles ...doesn't it!)

Good Luck ...KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:13 AM   #3

Thanks very much for the quick response. With you saying its not a run of the mill camera is it not too common ?? Being a camera guru would you class it as being any good ?? Its really the first proper digital camera I've had so dont really have anything to compare it to.

Thanks again. Platti.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:47 AM   #4

Not as common as your Canon's, Fuji's, Kodak's, Sony's etc ....but you did well, my son, in your choice ....for it is indeed a proper camera .

KK is the proud owner of a lovely black SL300RT* and it serves me well! What better recommendation from a "guru" is there than that!:-)I carry it almost everywhere!

Originally (as often in the past Kyocera/Contax/Yashica were) this camera, or at least its near identical cousin the Kyocera Finecam SL300R, was a world first and leader in its class and set new styling standards. There are a few close imitators appearing now....... but I am not certain that any of them rival the performance of the Contax version you bought.

Alas, as with all digital cameras, time and progress of technology and specifications will allow the Contax SL300RT* to be overtaken by others.... eventually! So if you think the repair bill is high .....look at similar looking cameras ....and their specs and prices and see if they compare with the Contax.

Of course, your criteria for the next camera you buy might be different to why you chose the Contax SL300RT* ..... for example, you may not feel the need for such a compact, carry-everywhere body, and this opens up a far wider choice of styles, sizes, facilities and performances that such a compact body as the SL300RT* might place limitations on .... albeit the fact that it is still a little cracker despite its diminutive size.

Hope that helps ..... KK

Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:12 PM   #5

And.......thanks again !!! Thats helps and then some. Stand by for a possible question coming soon asking for advice on buying a new one. I've email'd Alpha Digital just waiting for the reponse.

Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:15 PM   #6

And here it is......they quoted between £75 and £100 for it to be fixed with an add on of £10 for it to be posted back to me. Is it worth doing or should I be investing this into something new ?

If its something new I would still like to keep to a pocket sized camera with the same sort of functions if not better.

Sorry to hassle, cheers, Stu
Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:56 PM   #7

No Hassle :G

Hmmm! .......... they can quote a minimum of £75 without even seeing it?

Would they not give you an estimate after looking at it .... for the cost of the return postage? Ask if Alpha have any old stock left and how much would they charge for a new one if you let them have the old one and all its boxes and accessories etcfor spares? I'll send you a PM about this, before you email.

Well, if you were going for the repair....... itboils down to how much you really like it and how good you think the results are. What would you need to spend to get another (working) one or a similar product?

If not a replacement SL300RT* ..... There's no better place to start looking for an alternative than Steve's Digicams "Best Cameras" pages.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

You won't see Contax, Yashica or Kyocera cameras in this list ....because Steve seemed to remove them when Kyocera announced that they were going to pull the plug on it's camera business! They were there, in these lists, and got good reviews before their deletion.

I have not had the opportunity to compare the SL300RT* against any of these rivals .....so it's hard to say .....maybe someone else will chip in?

Cheers, KK
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:35 AM   #8

hi to all . i have a problem with my kyocera finecam sl300r , the problem is that the lens is open when the camera is off ,then when i turn it off the lens get closed ??????

PS: the camera gets too hot .please a prompt help would be really apreciated . thanks in advance .
piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:09 PM   #9

Never heard of an Open/Close lens mechanism on any SL series camera ... am I missing something here?

Cheers, KK
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:13 AM   #10

hi again. what i wanted to say is that i can't take photos when the camera is on cause it shows black, when i checked the lens it was closed (the protection was on ) .do u see what i mean ?thanks .:-)
piston is offline   Reply With Quote