Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Oct 28, 2005, 3:24 PM   #21
E.T

Kyocera Kid wrote:
Quote:
It would be nice to think that the A2 has the big pixel count and the lack of freezing too ........ is that so E.T.?
Why would EVF need to freeze while focusing? :O
(but in couple month's I can try does -20C/-5F freeze its frefresh rate)

And A2's EVF has two modes, full res (640x480) with 30fps and half-res (640x240) with 60fps.
But I've never bothered to try later mode.

EVF/LCDs auto gain-up has been around at least since original Minolta DiMAGE 7.

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
I like that Konica A200 but would not be happy with 7 x zoom only otherwise it has good features
Actually "zoom" doesn't tell nothing concrete, what's more important is min/max focal lengths.
And pretty much all ultra-tele cameras happen to lack wide angle so I would take one as my only camera only if I would photograph just animals.
(we haven't yet seen quality of Samsung 815's 28-420mm lens, also it lacks IS)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 4:03 PM   #22

Ah! It's not that they "need" to freeze ....it's thatthe rivals did freeze! ....and that was undesirable ...... the M410R's EVF doesn't! I think this is what Steve was trying to say. Obviously .... this lack of freezing will be the "norm" as time moves on.

I only included the section about "gain-up" from Steve's Review for completeness .... I do not personally think that gain-up is something to boast about in the M410R.... in fact ....if a camera didn't have it, it might be something to add to the wish-list!

I hope not to test my camera at -20C :lol:

Cheers KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 4:17 PM   #23
TC3

Cool paint job on the caravan KK and the pic came out pretty well

ET .....sure a 28 mm end would be handy but i would hate to lose the 380 mm end of the M410r i am accustomed to using. You could argue that 8mp allows greater cropping but optical zoom is always better in my experience.
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 5:17 PM   #24
E.T

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
ET .....sure a 28 mm end would be handy but i would hate to lose the 380 mm end
I wouldn't mind having long tele myself but we just have to wait real tests of Samsung 815. It's such big zoom that getting rid of bad distortions must be very hard, if even possible. (without correcting those mathematically in processing)
And if possible, then they should put that lens to A2's "back end".
Thruth just happens to be that excluding "chasing animals" 28-200mm is way more usefull than 38-380mm in general nature photography, propably I have taken about 1/4th of photos at 28mm/around 30mm and under 1/5th at longer than 150mm.
Also it's amusing to look other going backward while you could go closer.

Kyocera Kid wrote:
Quote:
I hope not to test my camera at -20C :lol:
That's just "high end", quite propably I would get chance to test it at -25C or lower.
You have to only worry about batteries which tend to freeze fast, especially NiMHs freeze fast when there's good temperature outside. (I had previously Minolta 7i)

And would you then prefer testing it at 100C (212F) sauna?

PS. At winter more than -10C (14F) as too hot to do any heavier work outside...
Also I start getting cold shivers if I think under 80C (176F) sauna. :G
Old Oct 28, 2005, 5:53 PM   #25

Thanks Tony ... I must invest in an A3 printer!

Yeah! ...we want it all .......... 24mm to 400mm ....... we'd better buy SLR and swap lenses .........Oh! for a body that takes my lovely Zeiss C/Y lenses. Someone make me a digital Contax AX .... (or an ND with C/Y mount!)

Hi E.T .........I have heard that you have 1 part Vodka for 2 parts blood ....and you can survive a long winter quite happily! :lol:We use similar mixture in car windscreen washer for winter use. Doubles up as cocktail drink if I get real desperate. Can you see Russia from your home? You look real close to it.

Your camera might like something like this ....... you can keep the batteries warm by body heat. Simple 4AA battery holder, home-made PP3 clip attached to interchangeable-tip DC power lead (both from Maplin UK). Home-made reindeer skin case optional! :idea:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...182033#p182033

It is good to hear what conditions other people use their cameras ...... keep the information coming!

Cheers, KK
Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:47 AM   #26
E.T

About using cameras in cold actually there's pretty much nothing to prevent this. (except fast freezing batteries)
Actually cold even lowers noise!

Problem starts when you take camera back to warm and more humid air.
Like you might know objects/surfaces colder than air are very effective in condensing water from air and electronics and water happen to be quite "incompatible".
So now problem changes to form how to prevent this condensing of water. Fortunately solution to this is both easy and very cheap:
Before going back to warm you just put camera inside plastic bag, sure camera still feels cold through bag put with bag closed tightly there's no way for warm air to get in touch with camera and condensation happens only in outer surface of plastic bag.
You just have to wait for warming of camera before taking it out of bag.

Well, I would also recommend making sure you don't batter camera... cold makes some plastics "little" brittle.

Auroras spoiling visiblity of deep sky objects in southern sky: 1 2
As notice if stars are showing at winter it means at least -10C, generally much under that.

Kyocera Kid wrote:
Quote:
Your camera might like something like this ....... you can keep the batteries warm by body heat. Simple 4AA battery holder, home-made PP3 clip attached to interchangeable-tip DC power lead (both from Maplin UK).
And you don't even get empty battery sign with Minolta 7i... DC-in is for 6V.
with 6AA holder you'll get camera as far as trying to start, but current draw drops voltage causing restart "loop".
Unless you solder contacts in ends of every battery there's way too much resistance for high current camera.
But now I'm waiting to test how long KonicaMinolta A2's LiIon battery works in cold, cellphone LiIons definitely don't work too well.

And I don't use "anti-freeze"... I have better things to do with brain than poisoning it. (ever wondered why alcohol can be used for sterilising wounds?)
Old Oct 30, 2005, 5:29 AM   #27

Great information E.T.

You are right about alcohol ....see what it has done to my sense of humour ...... very warped ........ I was only joking about the anti-freeze ....honestly E.T :-)

Love Orion shot!

Cheers ........errr! I mean ..... Regards, KK.