Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jan 15, 2006, 5:45 AM   #1

Hi K.K.

I have been meaning to get this shot for you for ages. The dragon fly was about 6

inch's long and I used just the macro setting with tele.It is sure much better than

the 35mm shot you coned me into posting. I hope you can identify the best, Its most

likely quite a common one. We were tramping up a mountain stream, took a few pics,

will post if anyones interested. Cheers.
Attached Images

seftonearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:21 AM   #2

Excellent Seftonearl

At 6 inches ..... that must have looked impressive ....they only get to 4 inches in UK.

I think it is one of two ancient giant dragonflies that are native to NZ .... either Uropetala chiltoni or Uropetala carovei. The latter is said to have an approx 5inch wing span and 3.5 inch body length ..... but information seems scarce on WWW. I think that the specimen you shot is a male, judging by the slender abdomen. I looks like it has been in a few battles ...or maybe victim of a failed bird strike!

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the habitat, but it might be advisable to be a little cautious here in public ....... I did see a reference to "not revealing its location" on one website. Better to be safe than sorry ........ you could always PM me, oremail direct.

Cheers, KK

Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 1:43 PM   #3

Yes well, its just a dragonfly to me. I was very tired when I sent this post, I think I might have overdone the size a bit, we are metric now and I could not find a rule with inchesIt was about 9 to 10 cm.last night.I had forgotten to sharpen the image as well, its better now.

I think you may be right about its having a hard life, will post a shot including more of its wings which seem damaged to me.

No one will be able to find its location from the pics of the habitat K.K. only hunters for deer and few trampers get up that far. The shot was taken yesterday I do not see many dragonfly's in the city, this was the first for a long time so I held the party up while I grabbed some shots.
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2006, 4:18 AM   #4

This will give you a idea about thehabitat K.K.

It was right up near the ranges, at the upper reaches of a river that goes past our

city.At least 2 and a half hours by bus ending in a single lane road.

Quite rugged walking, cheers.
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2006, 1:17 PM   #5

Many thanks Seftonearl,for the info and photos ...... I never tire of looking at Dragonfly/Damselfly shots .....especially from other countries.

Cheers KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote