Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:08 PM   #1

hi..got many questions kindly answer.

I have got M410R..on default settings.

1 -- i wanted to start shooting night shots of busy malls and cafes having glowing neon lights and hight lit areas .. I ended with messed up images in which the bulbs and neon signs were horrible. The lights had spreaded/blotted over image i took .So ihad to discard all of them. I tried "Night" Scene auto setting but it didnt work . Can any one tell me how to shoot pics which are clear and sharp even in brightly lit areas at night.ANy filter for light control?

2 -- secondly i got this 52mm sunPak polarizer. Is there any way to check that it is really polarizing. Coz i tried to took pics of boxes which were put in glass showcases. The lights of warehousefalling on theglass showcasestill made pics blurry.

3-- I was also told the polarizers come as 2 types ..one which cane be adjusted by rotating. and other which dont need rotation and are used for autofocus camera.

4-- DO non-rotating type of polarizers exist which dont need adjustment while takeing any shot?

5-- Do Grad Neutral Density / Neutral Density lens useful good in summer sunny days landscapes pictures?

Hope thats not much to ask at once...

Whats the best place/situationto test polarizers?

hikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:35 PM   #2

Hi

1) Put the camera on EXT setting @200iso .....play around with different apertures using Aperture Priority setting from Menu. Use a tripod and experiment at lots of different settings of aperture. If all shots are too dark, experiment with long exposure mode from Menu. No filter is best!

2)3) and 4) See

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...176573#p176573

You should get a few ideas from this.

You have been misinformed about the non-rotating bit .... I think you mean Linear type and Circular type .....both types still need to be rotated to alter the effect.Do a Google on the above and read a general article about how they both work. As in above topic....either type seem to work for the M410R.

5) Never tried them ....but don't see why they would not work as well on the M410R as on.... say a 35mm film SLR.

Hope this helps. Cheers, KK.
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:46 PM   #3

thanks i shall try the mnaula exposure settings..

yes i have seen those pics on this forum..thts why i was worried why doesnt the polarizers not stopping stray light. and yes the non-rotating polarizers is NOT a polarizer.I think i need to bang the sellers head on sunday..

One thing would ask ..might help many.. If i dont take my camera to the shop.. and want to verify that IT IS THE POLAZIER i am buying THen how can i verify it..any tricks?

Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:10 PM   #4

Hi Hikx

Always try diplomatic questions first ... then bang head of seller,if no joy from them! :-)

You can see polarizing effect with your eyeball ....no camera needed. Try to find situation similar to the pictures I posted ....maybe stand at back of shop and find something that looks like a very shiny surface between you and the shop window .....slowly rotate the polarizer in front of oneyour eyes (close the other eye if it helps) ....look toward the shiny surface ....does it come clear at one particular point while you rotate the filter....... does the amount of shine go much less? Of course, the easy way is to see if it says "Pol" or "Polarizer" on the side of the filter

Good luck ....... will send "Get Well Soon" card to hospital if seller retaliates!:lol:

Cheers, KK
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:29 PM   #5

hi kk

i am attaching image of that filter.. the seller told me that it is polarizer for digital lens.. (is it?) and .it is for digital cameras so it doesnt need rotation and is fixed..ans hasthe monogram of Carl zeiss.. i didnt accept this uptil now that it is car zeiss either. Can u make comments about all this?
Attached Images

Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:08 PM   #6

Hi

I think it is a Neutral Density 4x filter. I see no sign that it is a polarizer. Why do you think it is Carl Zeiss? Surely not the triangle and circle with the"C" inside it? This is not the Carl Zeiss (or Zeiss West) symbol!

It might be time to find your boxing gloves and consult ......(insult!) ....the seller.

In general, there are very few filters that are formulated for digital userather than general photographic use ...... be it film or digital ....... or video! Beware of anyone that tells you it is a "Digital filter" or "specifically for a Digital Camera"! :P

Cheers, KK

Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:31 AM   #7

Hi kk

i went back to the shop.. this time i made up my own story about selling fake lenses and blah .. but he was a stupid person..argued with tme that digital camera cant use polarizer coz they arent manual focus .. i made him bring out the SUNPAK 55mm P.L filter(unfortunately that was the best he had), n then i tested it as u told me and it did removed reflection in showcase glass... i am attaching the image of what i got... He didnt have the C.P.L (circular Polarizer) but I Think as u wrote P.L works with M410R. ?????

P.L isgray shaded .. see image

---- And kk.. about the previous lens he gave me...previous was dark shaded .than this one ..coz of that 4x written i googled and found lots of ND filters with 4x ..but none of Polarizer had 4x written.. so i think it was ND..The pics i took with ND 4x (if that was it) they changed color of object..as far as i remember ND filters dont change color of objects Do they kk?
Attached Images

Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:14 PM   #8

Hi Hikx

I see that you survived the encounter with your salesman and came out with two good arms to type the message :-)

Do not worry about the fact that your new polarizer is not the "circular" type. This one will work very well on your camera. You will need a 52mm to 55mm stepping ring to use the 55mm Pol filter on your 52mm adapter.

Most Polarizing filters look gray colour or slightly dark blue if you look through them. This is normal. Take some shots with .... and without the filter like I did ....you will soon be able to see what to expect when you use the filter. If you think it has altered the colour balance slightly ....correct it with your Graphics Software.

The 4x Neutral filter may have changed the colour balance very slightly ....but it should not have had a major effect. If it did, it must have been a very odd filter ....possibly very poor quality. The new Pol filter might have a slight effect on colour balance ...but again it should be only very slight. You should be able to see that the colour of reflective surfaces look "deeper" or "stronger" in colour, when thebright reflections are removed. Do not be fooled by this ....the colours are supposed to be better when the reflections are removed.

Good luck ...KK