Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Jan 27, 2006, 3:51 AM   #1

Hi

Attached is the image i am talking about.. i used cameraat the default settings. Nothing was changed in manual settings. No Tripod was used. The arrows show major wrongs in that picture. Both were neon signs. Moreover cars were moving too.

I know i need tripod what else i have to set in M410R in manual setting to come up with clear cut better image instead of those blotted lines and spots?
Attached Images

hikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2006, 6:04 AM   #2

Apart from needing a tripod ...the shot is very over-exposed which will exaggerate the "bloating" around the very bright bits ...... this happensoften on film too!

Try playing around in EXT mode as I suggested in your other topic.

Remember, it will always be difficult to get pleasing results when there are elements in the shot that are vastly brighter than other elements in the shot.You have to decide which part of the shot you want correctly exposed ......and just live with the results of the other bits.

Naturally ...if you are a Graphics Package wizard ...you could change things to suit!

Cheers, KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:53 AM   #3
TC3

Hi

If i was to attempt a pic like that i would definatly use a tripod and take several pics. Each would be at different time exposures as well as various apertures too. A tricky shot but it is better to underexpose then blow out everything with over exposing. How long was the aperture open for? Seemsthat the shutter was open for way too long and let in to much light

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:24 AM   #4

hi

thanks for the advice..there is one thing i saw at Tiffens..the Star filter ..and ND filter.. Do any of these play any role to cut down the bloated bulbs and posts?
hikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:46 PM   #5

Have a browse around here .......

http://www.camerafilters.com/

they can explain these things in pictures better than I can ....in words

or if you prefer .....do a Google on anything you wish to find out about ....there are millions of web pages out there for almost any subject!

Cheers KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:36 PM   #6
E.T

For start use exposure compensation to force automatic to underexpose...
Camera propably already use biggest aperture (=smallest F-ratio number) automatically but if you want to make sure that shutter speed stays fastest possible (moving object don't make such long traces) put camera to aperture priority.

I've myself used exposure compensation with good success for noctilucent clouds when automatic would overexpose badly...
I think exposure compensation was near -1EV in these:

In this photo taken about same time I used exposure compensation with smallest contrast setting for making sure that sky wouldn't be totally burned through around moon but otherwise exposure would stay good enough.

Many point&shoots crank contrast totally out of the scale so decreasing it could help much with strong highlights and shadows.

PS. ND filter means Neutral Density, basically it's gray filter which just filters certain amount of light away enabling longer exposure time (for blurring things like movement of water in stream) without overexposing.

Here's quite good guide to different filters
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor...oyaFilters.pdf
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote