Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:49 PM   #1

From the Raynox webiste this seems the most simple, lightest weightconverter of all, retailing at £69.99 in the UK.

The manufacturer states that this model lens is ONLY INTENDED to be used at the camera's max wide angle and in macro setting. So the converter turns a 10x zoom lens into a prime super wide angle.If youwant to getcloser to the subject- you walk!

I only want up to 6x9 inch prints.

Has anyonepix to show us?

Max
maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:57 AM   #2
E.T

http://www.raynox.co.jp/actualimage/...r5000-tyo3.jpg
So very bad corer softness, chromatic aberrations and distortion.
And that's just in small resized image so imagine what it will look in full resolution image.

maxpixels wrote:
Quote:
The manufacturer states that¬* this model lens is ONLY INTENDED to be used at the camera's max wide angle and in macro setting. So the converter turns a 10x zoom lens into a prime super wide angle.
Like majority of lens converter.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:32 PM   #3

What you say about 'most' converters being intended to use WITHOUT zoom is very important . From many of the complaints I've read, about all sorts of converter's performances, clearly the users (plaintives) DID NOT understand, and respect the LIMITATIONS of what they attached to their lens.

Another subject which has also cropped up with the M410R is about turning the camera on with the lens cap still in place.

On almost every page of the 186-page manual they remind users to REMOVE the lens cap BEFORE turning the camera on. There has to be a good reason for this and probably a good part of weird results people report might be due to this oversight before taking a shot.

I will be using the .5X converterwith nolofty expectations. I don't expect broadcast quality - or press agency standards. Besides, if you've got such a powerfully graphic newsworthy shot or some unique view, no agency will turn it down because of chromatic variations, falloff or pincushion in a 6x9 inch photo

If I can add a £69 .5X converter to a camera which cost £149 (yes that's what the Rollei 4010/ Ky M410Rsells for now) and get wide angle coverage like that below, I'll be happy. The lens that took this costs 10x what the converter does, and weights 5 times as much.

Attached Images

Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:15 PM   #4

maxpixels ....well said!

Naturally, we'd love to hear from E.T. or others if they know of better converters for use with the M410R/DK4010 :P

KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:44 AM   #5
E.T

That whole 0.5x coefficient makes such converters very hard to make without bad distortions.

For example Raynox's 0.66x converter has already considerably better quality, softening shows only in corners:
http://raynox.co.jp/actualimage/digi...00pro-tyo5.jpg

Actually that 0.66x DCR6600 has less distortion than 0.7x DCR-730:
http://raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr730/index.htm
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:07 PM   #6

How about this for distortion!

Max
Attached Images