Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kyocera / Yashica

Old Aug 4, 2006, 8:41 PM   #1

I was looking at pictures taken on my S3R and switced to shoot mode when the flash came up and the lens went out and it just froze. I couldn't even turn it off. I tried refitting the battery. I conected to the compuer to try and get photos off the card and it let me do that and did shut down. However when I opened it again it froze again. I tried hooking up to the computer again but it would not recognise it again. I took it back to where I bought it about 20 months ago. Rep was contacted for any ideas, he said never heard this problem, said send it back to repairers to check. This will however mean $88 up front and it being sent to Hong Kong. I don't want to do this as it might mean more expence and still not worth fixing. Does anyone have any ideas?
Revrat9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:09 AM   #2

Hi Revrat9

There are very few DIY repairs you can do to the complex electronic devices we call "Digital Cameras" .... no matter what make they are!

If you have tried different batteries and a different memory card, checked that the contacts to the above look clean, then you have probably done all you can.

No one can advise you about spending your $88 without knowing whether you are in a position toput that money (and more) towardsa new camera or not. All I can say is that no matter which brand you choose, the specification of similar priced cameras will have been raised in the 20 months since buying the S3R ..... or you could spend less than the original price for the S3R on a camera of similar specification ....there are many in this category. Remember though that the Kyoceras are particularly quick at start-up times and on allowing unlimited continuous shooting.

Hope this helps a little. KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 5:35 AM   #3

Hi. My S3R has exactly the SAME problem. I have just noticed an advisory from Kyocera from October 19th 2005, specifying faulty Kyoceras and the ccd. Could be connected. The web address is http://www.dcviews.com/press/Kyocera-Oct05.htm

Hope this helps. At least you will laugh at their deplorable English.... I am expecting a reply from our NZ Consumers Institute in this regard (through a friend who subscribes to their Consumer Magazine), as the agent who sold the camera told me that since the warranty was expired( at the time of contacting them, by only two months!!), to send it in for repair (probably China)at my own expense! According to the Advisory, the Warranty may have extended to 2008. We will see. Do you want me to inform you the outcome? Cheers. jim
auntagony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 5:35 AM   #4

Hi. My S3R has exactly the SAME problem. I have just noticed an advisory from Kyocera from October 19th 2005, specifying faulty Kyoceras and the ccd. Could be connected. The web address is http://www.dcviews.com/press/Kyocera-Oct05.htm

Hope this helps. At least you will laugh at their deplorable English.... I am expecting a reply from our NZ Consumers Institute in this regard (through a friend who subscribes to their Consumer Magazine), as the agent who sold the camera told me that since the warranty was expired( at the time of contacting them, by only two months!!), to send it in for repair (probably China)at my own expense! According to the Advisory, the Warranty may have extended to 2008. We will see. Do you want me to inform you the outcome? Cheers. jim
Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:30 AM   #5

Hi. Of course, the site mentioned has already been noted by someone else on the forum...that will be where I saw it. feel rather stupid now!!! But having seen several other faults with Kyoceras freezing with lens out or CCd problems, I would say that the problems look endemic and shouild be repaired free of charge by the Warranty agents.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:58 AM   #6

Thanks Auntagony, and KK, if you do get more info from your consumer institute I would be very appreciative if you could let me know.
Regards Trevor.
Revrat9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:26 AM   #7

Hi. Recieved a reply from our NZ Consumer's Institute. You might want to email me directly to check what they say, otherwise it might get complex.I think you click on the yellow name to get the e-mail? Cheers, Jim