Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Landscape Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/)
-   -   Birch Drops And Japanese Maple Leaves (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/birch-drops-japanese-maple-leaves-193067/)

Torgny Oct 25, 2011 7:24 AM

Birch Drops And Japanese Maple Leaves

1 Attachment(s)
From Änggårdsbergen

Torgny Oct 25, 2011 2:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Beech leaves

Torgny Oct 25, 2011 4:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Japanese maple leaves

Torgny Oct 26, 2011 6:34 PM

Update

1 Attachment(s)
Beech leaves in the lake

pj1974 Oct 26, 2011 9:47 PM

Hi Torgny

A beautiful series of 4 special autumn (fall) photos. Thanks for sharing.

I particularly like how you have composed such different photos - but with the strong common theme of yellow / autumn leaves.

#1 looks like a 'curtain' of leaves. Then in the next photo, the contrast between the background blue sky (decent bokeh) and the yellow leaves is very nice in #2.

In my opinion, the last 2 photos might benefit from a bit more saturation / colour (though, like you I don't like the oversaturated / overcooked look)... so just a gentle increase to bring out the hues.

The water surface tension in #4 also adds interest, the way the leaves 'sit' on the water. Thanks for sharing from your part of the world.

Cheers

Paul

Torgny Oct 27, 2011 7:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pj1974 (Post 1262446)
Hi Torgny

A beautiful series of 4 special autumn (fall) photos. Thanks for sharing.

I particularly like how you have composed such different photos - but with the strong common theme of yellow / autumn leaves.

#1 looks like a 'curtain' of leaves. Then in the next photo, the contrast between the background blue sky (decent bokeh) and the yellow leaves is very nice in #2.

In my opinion, the last 2 photos might benefit from a bit more saturation / colour (though, like you I don't like the oversaturated / overcooked look)... so just a gentle increase to bring out the hues.

The water surface tension in #4 also adds interest, the way the leaves 'sit' on the water. Thanks for sharing from your part of the world.

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for viewing and the detailed comments. The difference between the two first ones and the last two is presens of sunshine in the first two. Yes, been searching for "water tension surface".

In Swedish it's enough with one word, "ytspänning". It can be a motive in itself.

Did some postprocessing of the two last pictures. If you have the time - tell me what you think

Cheers

Torgny

Yes, I have some hundreds of "birch curtains" - funny that You used that metaphore

Torgny Oct 27, 2011 7:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And the fourth

Here the playroom was much less

pj1974 Oct 27, 2011 9:30 PM

Hi Torgny

I'm glad you appreciated my (detailed) reply. And thanks for the Swedish lesson! "ytspänning ytspänning ytspänning". :)

Yes, as you know (& explained) when the sun isn't on a subject, it can (at times) make the colours 'appear' more washed out, as they are not 'reflecting' the bright light.

I like the post processing you did on the second versions of each the 3rd and 4th photos. Very nice and still natural looking aka "true to reality" (in my humble opinion). :)

The (birch) 'curtain' term I used, is because that is what came to my mind when I saw photo 1 - it looked like they were all at a plane (same distance) away from the camera / you - and thus represented as a curtain 'hangs' like that.

The primary school I went to had a few silver birch trees, that we used to 'twist' and throw the seeds from it... lots of fun as a 6 year old! (I wonder if that is still there?) Ah...so many years ago.

Best wishes... and I like the deep colours, including the greens in your '2nd edition' photos a lot.

Cheers

Paul

The Barbarian Oct 29, 2011 9:11 PM

I really like the second maple leaves, and the leaves in water. The latter gives the impression of the water as very viscous and slow. It evokes an odd feeling.

Torgny Nov 1, 2011 9:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Barbarian (Post 1263042)
I really like the second maple leaves, and the leaves in water. The latter gives the impression of the water as very viscous and slow. It evokes an odd feeling.

The Barbarian,

Thanks for viewing. Those japanese maple leaves lend themselves to an attempt to write a simple fractal formula (?) (Mandelbrot?) Well, if anybody should know, it's you

There is a word in my language, "sel", where the water seems to be almost still, but things happen under the surface

Torgny

Here's someone who can walk on water