Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Landscape Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/)
-   -   BW Landscapes (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/bw-landscapes-76249/)

valleykayaker Dec 30, 2005 3:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took these a year or so back with my Canon G2 and converted in PS with Channel Mixer. ladyhawkVA, the one of the tree is where I took the sunset on hwy 108 picture. I was shooting from behind the branches of the fallen tree.

valleykayaker Dec 30, 2005 4:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The other one.

Aumma45 Dec 30, 2005 9:34 AM

Those shots are great. The contrast is perfect and welcome to the forum.

tsjiaotai Dec 30, 2005 3:48 PM

great shots !!

can you explain how you converted these pictures to such a wonderful b&w ? obviously you did more then simply removing color...I don;t know how to get B&W photo's in post-exposure editing and would like to learn...

great shots !!

can you explain how you converted these pictures to such a wonderful b&w ? obviously you did more then simply removing color...I don;t know how to get B&W photo's in post-exposure editing and would like to learn...

great shots !!

LadyhawkVA Dec 31, 2005 9:31 AM

Both of these are nice. I especially like the clouds in #2. I love good b/w photos.

valleykayaker Dec 31, 2005 1:53 PM

Thank You all for your kind comments and Happy New Year to all. tsjiaotai, I use Photoshop, but I believe Paint Shop Pro has pretty much the same proceedure. I feel that the Channel Mixer is the best way to convert to BW. There is a checkbox at the lower left that you click (it says "monochrome"). This will change the image to BW. This will default to 100% Red Channel. You should experiment with the different sliders (Red, Green, Blue) to see what the best mix is. Try to keep the total percentage of RGB to 100%. If I have any corrections to do such as color, curves, levels, I do that first then do the BW conversion. The way I got the sky and land to expose correctly in the second image is to take two exposures. With my camera on a tripod, I took a correct exposure of the sky and then a correct one of the land. I then combined the two images in PS as different layers and ereased the sky in one of the layers. There are a couple books I can recomment to you on the subject of doing BW conversions.

1. Digital Black and White Photography by John Beardsworth (ISBN 1-904705-52-9).

2. Amphoto's Guide to Digital Black and White Printing by George Schaub (ISBN 0-8174-7071-9).

toshi43 Dec 31, 2005 2:46 PM

The firstshot has a dark, foreboding feel to it. You have a great eye - this one's very well done.

Reanimator Jan 1, 2006 6:30 AM

i love em both

both different and both work for me......the second one reminds me of a windows xp wallpaper, same low rolling hills

nice work

Gary