Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Landscape Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/)
-   -   A duel of two cameras (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/landscape-photos-15/duel-two-cameras-102426/)

bahadir Sep 29, 2006 3:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some may remember I mentioned I was going to borrow my friend's Digital Rebel (300d), last week. I must mention that it was my first time with this dslr.So I might not do justice to it...Anyway, because Iknew that the kit lens on the 300d liked more of higher F values, I did this comparison setting the aperture value to f/7.1 on both cameras (my canon S70 and canon 300d). The pictures you'll see are direct from the camera, only resized in picture manager to be able to post them.

Let's start with the Rebel

bahadir Sep 29, 2006 3:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
S70...

bahadir Sep 29, 2006 3:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Rebel..

bahadir Sep 29, 2006 3:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
S70...

Boily Sep 29, 2006 9:57 PM

:cool:Very nice comparison, great pictures, you proved that you can also make a very nice picture with a little camera ;)

Boily

squirl033 Sep 29, 2006 11:37 PM

if anything, i think i like the S70 shots a little better... they're better saturated, and at these sizes, clarity and detail are the same. i expect you'd only notice a difference at larger print sizes, though even there, i wouldn't expect a huge difference,sincethe 300Donly has 1Mp more resolution. the only other place i'd expect to see a difference would be in noise... the S70 puts 7Mp on a 1/1.8 sensor, while theRebel has 8Mp on an APS-sized sensor known for low noise... but in bright, well-exposed shots like these, noise isn't a factor.

bahadir Sep 30, 2006 2:45 AM

Thank you for your kind response, Boily.
Quote:

..you can also make a very nice picture with a little camera.
I totallly agree with you. After all they say, it is the human which, in fact, take the photo not the machine.. Yet, my inital purpose was to totake benefitfrom the new models' causing considerable discounts on yesterday's reputable models and thus having a budget dslrduring this stir.So, in this respect, I admit I hadwished the d300 outperform my S70 to legitimize my desire! Anyway, I'm considering to make another comparison butwith the sigma 28-300 lens this time...

bhammitt Sep 30, 2006 3:57 AM

Hello bahadir! I would agree with squirl, I like the S70 shots more. I must admit that most of the time I like the photos with my old Olympus better than my dslr, I feel the biggest advantage with the dslr is performance, time between shots, noise etc.

Bob

bahadir Sep 30, 2006 4:51 AM

Squirl, I'm glad my modest comparison attracked the attention of a connoisseur like yourself :)
Quote:

..i like the S70 shots a little better...
I also think that's true.The result would be different with another lens, though. Btw, because the 300d is a 6.3 mp camera it won't be better than the 7.1mp S70 at croppings or enlargemens, IMO. Thanks for your feedback..

bahadir Sep 30, 2006 5:28 AM

Hi, Bob! Performancewise I quite enjoyed the promptmetering and manual focusing of 300d. Imagewise I'll see how thigs will change with the sigma -it's a heavy lens though :(
Quote:

I must admit that most of the time I like the photos with my old Olympus better than my dslr
However, regarding your sunset photo at the Weekly Photo Challenge section I prefer the output of your d50;)